Friday, July 7, 2023

Wide Shots - July 2023

I posted a detailed review of the southwest corner of my garden earlier this week but it's also time to share my quarterly wide shots of the rest of the garden.  While the marine layer and cooler temperatures have surprisingly persisted into the summer season here along the coast, most of the spring flowers are gone nonetheless while the Agapanthus have finally taken off.

I'm starting as usual in the back garden.

View from the back door looking east in the direction of the harbor's entrance.  In addition to the Agapanthus, the dormant variety of orange-red daylilies that came with the garden (Hemerocallis 'Sammy Russell') have shown up.

From the back patio looking east, this photo shows one of the several groups of Agapanthus spread throughout the garden.  This used to be the most prolific group when the mimosa tree (Albizia julibrissin) was in place but many of those bulbs were lost when the dying tree was removed.  The Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold' that replaced the mimosa is coming along but it's still far from establishing the same presence in the garden.

View from the back patio looking north

View from the north end of the back garden looking south

From the middle of the back garden's flagstone path looking toward its south end.  That mass of Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' in the foreground on the right needs a serious trim now that the yellow flowers have turned a less attractive mustard color.  The mass of foliage on the left beyond the colorful Salvia canariensis is Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid'.

This is a frontal view of that Callistemon, which has become wider than I expected.  I removed several large branches earlier this spring.

This is a final view of the back garden from its south end looking north

 

Pivoting to the left from the direction of the last shot brings us to the south-side garden.

View of the south-side garden looking west.  The Agave 'Blue Glow' bloom spike has shed its flowers but it's yet to show obvious signs of developing bulbils.  However, after reviewing an online post indicating that it can take 6 months for these to develop, I'm giving it another month.  Meanwhile, like a neighbor's bloomed-out Agave 'Blue Glow', the plant itself is showing no signs of impending death.
 
View from south-side patio looking across a canyon at a neighbor's house in the distance

View of the south-side garden looking east

 

Pivoting left again brings the main level of the front garden into view.

The view of the front garden looking north is now significantly obscured by the Grevillea 'Superb' and Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' on the right

View of the same general area from the other direction.  Are you noticing a color theme in my summer garden?  Foliage and flowers in the orange-red range seem to have proliferated this summer.

View of the area surrounding the Magnolia grandiflora from the front door.  The Magnolia is dropping an endless number of leaves and flower petals.  Most of the leaves used to get caught in the roof's gutters but, now that we have leaf filters, the leaves drop all over the garden and I'm collecting them twice a day.

Front view of the house from the driveway.  The Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' are looking very red this summer.  They're also producing more sprays of flowers along their stems than they did last year so maybe I timed my pruning effort correctly last year (or maybe all the credit goes to our relatively abundant rainy season).

South (right) side of the front garden.  Gaura lindheimeri is also putting on a good show this month.

North side of the front garden.  The semi-evergreen Hong Kong orchid tree (Bauhinia x blakeana) looks sad at this time of year.

Another angle on the front garden, taken from the driveway

This is the succulent bed on the west side of the garage in the front garden.  I still want to dig up and replant the entire area but, even though summer's heat has been slow to arrive here, I'll probably put that off until the fall.  My first step will be to get more rocks.

View from the walkway between the succulent bed and the other planted area on the same side of the driveway.  This area is still sparse, which probably means I've selected the wrong plants to thrive in an area like this, honeycombed with roots from the ornamental pear tree on one side and the Xylosma congestum hedge on the other.

 

The cutting garden is to the north (left) side of the house on the other side of the driveway.

The dahlias, zinnias and sunflowers in the raised planters are responding to the warmer temperatures but they're still a long way from reaching bloom stage

 

The north-side garden is just beyond the fence shown in the background of the last shot.

North-side garden looking northeast.  The Agave vilmoriniana in the background has also bloomed out.  Although it's showing signs of developing bulbils, I'm not sure I have the time or patience to collect them from 3 agaves so I may remove this one soon, even though it was the last of the 3 to bloom.

 

The back slope can be viewed as one proceeds down the concrete stairway that begins where that gravel path in the north-side garden ends.

I'm once again neglecting the back slope out of fear of the fire ants but I do need to get down there soon to cut down the spent Centranthus flowers

 

 

Finally, I have one shot of the street-side succulent bed at the front of the property.

View of the stretch of succulents planted in front of one section of the Xylosma hedge that runs along most of the street in front of our house

 

 

That's it for my wide shots until October.  Best wishes for a pleasant weekend!



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your wide shots series; it must be great to have such a comprehensive record of your garden changing through seasons and years. Re. the area under the ornamental pear, in a similar situation (root-thick, partial sun) I've had good luck with eremophila, scabiosa, euphorbias, and geraniums. Looking forward to the fall re-do of that succulent bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think I've tried any of those plants in that area and it's certainly worth a try. The wide shot and bloom day records are the ones I go back to most frequently when looking for historical data ;)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy the wide shots, I can imagine the whole fantastic layout and which beds are where around your home. I mean, that view really blows me away. *Also, you have a lot of energy collecting the leaves - I'm getting lazy with the neighbor's pepper tree detritus already this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky with the view, tz. The timing of our purchase was serendipity, although there are times I wish we could have afforded a more open ocean view as the busy harbor has some negatives, including higher levels of air pollution.

      The Magnolia leaves are driving me crazy! They're big and don't decay at all quickly - and they don't rake up easily in the front garden. I'm seriously considering replacing the wood mulch with more rake-able gravel.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you mentioned the Bauhinia x blakeana was just doing an annual thing, as when it first came into view I was concerned something had happened to it. Your garden is certainly looking lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wondering when our luck with respect to cool and comfortable temperatures is going to turn, Loree! The Bauhinia should be back looking its best in the fall.

      Delete
  4. You have quite a large garden to maintain and it always is immaculate. The orange-red color theme works well for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was immaculate, Susie! The back slope is a mess and, even the southwestern corner area I featured in Wednesday's post, which I meticulously tidied up before I photographed it, is once again blanketed in a fresh layer of leaves ;)

      Delete
  5. I love seeing the wide views. Your garden is lush and beautiful. And so special perched above the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the city we overlook is downtown Los Angeles!

      Delete
  6. I love these wide views and always think I will start to do some as well. But your garden looks so beautifully finished. Mine always seems to have big holes where I keep redoing something or other. One of these days I need to stop doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think the wide shots often hide a lot of the empty space, Linda. I've got quite a collection of those holes myself and created yet another this afternoon by pulling up a plant that annoyed me every time I looked at it ;)

      Delete
  7. Your 'Copper Glow's look especially good. Every time I see one for sale I'm tempted.

    The "Gaura good show" angle is also especially good--the Gaura flowers add a sparkle to the view.

    It looks like your 'Wilson's Wonder' that the crew chopped badly is recovering well.

    Do you need to remove the spent Ceanothus flowers? The seeds are eaten by bushtits, mockingbirds, quail, and finches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned about 'Copper Glow' for awhile because it's so red this year (and when my Toyon suddenly turned red, it was because it was dying) but these 2 shrubs are pumping out flowers and new foliage so I think all is well. The 'Wilson's Wonder ' on the south side of the front garden bounced back pretty quickly after the gardener took a hedge trimmer to it. The one on the north side took longer to recover but seems to be coming along at last.

      I hacked back the Helichrysum 'Icicles' on Friday, partly because I dislike the dried mustard-colored flowers but, more importantly, because I haven't been able to walk along that path in 2+ months as the shrub had taken over. I haven't noticed the birds paying that one any attention. I mainly let the Ceanothus shed flowers on their own, although I did cut the one in the back garden today because it was overrunning its neighbors. It was mostly flower-less at this point, though.

      Delete
  8. There may be fewer flowers this month, but your garden still looks magazine-ready. I don't know how you do it. Well, actually I do. Lots of hard work and fairly mild climate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gerhard. Parts of it are less pulled together than others. You may have noticed that I didn't show much of the back slope ;)

      Delete
  9. As always, you have such a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.