Wednesday, May 3, 2023

My colorful back slope

I completely lost track of time this week and, although this post has been in process since I took photos last week, it didn't click that today is Wednesday until this morning.  The focus is my back slope, an area I largely ignore for much of the year.  I have a bad knee that my orthopedist thinks is ripe for replacement and I inevitably strain it whenever I spend any significant time working there (as I did last week).  In addition, I've had three run-ins with fire ants there during the warmer months, which also keeps me away.  But, in spring, the area is at its best and it deserves some attention.  This post is a tribute to its fleeting beauty.

View from the upper section of the stairway looking down

 

The upper side of the slope, shown to the right of the concrete block stairway installed by my husband years not long after we moved in, is covered in ivy and honeysuckle.  The upper section of the slope on the left is covered in prostrate rosemary.

The gardeners take electric pruners to the ivy a few times a year but that's the only tending it gets, other than my periodic (and somewhat futile) efforts to pull out grass weeds embedded in the thicket

While the ivy has been there forever, I planted the prostrate rosemary.  I've been trying to keep it under control using hand clippers but I think I may need to invest in my own electric pruner soon.

 

I've used concrete bricks to level areas of the lower side slope to facilitate planting, making it more interesting.

View from the midway point on the stair looking down
 
Another view of the area from the dirt path between the lower border and the hedge marking the division between our property and one of our neighbors

Another view of the same area in different light.  The back slope faces east so it's in shade much of the day.

I'm happy with this vignette consisting of Aeonium arboreum 'Velour', Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid', and Lampranthus 'Kaboom'.  The Euphorbia moves itself around.  I've planted other Aeonium cuttings here and there.

I moved a handful of Centranthus ruber seedlings around here years ago and they've gradually taken over.  I cut it back to the ground each year but it continues to spread like the weed it is in my area.  It covers entire hillsides along some of the nearby roads.

I planted the artichokes (Cynara) many years ago when I had a 6-pack of plugs I didn't know what to do with.  They surprised me by coming back every year, bigger and bolder than ever.  They're already producing chokes too!

I added Pelargonium 'White Lady' and Santolina chamaecyparissus (aka lavender cotton) years ago as well.  Both continue to spread as low-level groundcovers.

 

The lower level of the stairway and the relatively flat area at its bottom are the most densely planted.

View from the bottom of the stairway looking up

Another view of the same area from a slightly different angle in lower light

In addition to Aeonium arboreum, I've planted Agave attenuata, Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' and 'Kiwi Verde', Aloe striata, and Aloe elgonica.  Almost all were grown from cuttings or divisions.  There's a pup of Agave 'Blue Flame' buried in an upper section of the border too.

I don't know what I was thinking when I planted a 4-inch pot of Echium webbii here several years ago.  It's way too big for the area now.

There are noID bearded Iris partially buried under the Echium.  I moved them here from elsewhere in the garden many years ago.  They're the only bearded Iris in my garden that bloom reliably each year.

 

The bottom of the slope is dominated by a lemon tree that's been there for decades longer than we've been here but there's a lot more there than the one tree.

A few very bad heatwaves and the persistent drought have lessened the citrus tree's lemon production but this year's rain has given it a boost

This orange trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) was planted by the neighbor on the other side of the fence decades ago when she gardened this area (until a former owner of our property had the area surveyed and informed her that the area wasn't hers).  I've been tempted to cut down its massive trunk as it's nearly impossible to control but that'd worsen the sore spot the one neighbor already has about the area.

The Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt' I planted here has already finished its bloom cycle for the year.  The house and trees you see in the background are on our south-side neighbor's property.  There was once a monster-sized Yucca elephantipes sitting along this property line but my husband had it removed because it was out of control.  (The Yucca still attempts periodic takeovers.)  There are 2 barely visible Pittosporum behind the Ceanothus.

The Centranthus has planted itself under the lemon tree too

More Centranthus, along with calla lilies (Zantedeschia aethiopica) and Osteospermum, between the lemon tree and the Ceanothus.  The calla lilies were planted by someone else decades ago.  They disappear every summer and return with the winter rain.  The Osteospermums planted themselves here.

Closeup of the calla lilies.  There are many more blooms than last year but still fewer than in the early years following our arrival.

 

The area is bordered on the east side by a laurel hedge and by on the south side by the rampant ivy that creeps over from the neighbor's property.

This bay laurel hedge (Laurus nobilis) sits alongside the wire fence that divides our property from that of our neighbor to the northeast.  The property lines are odd, the products of dividing the original lot occupied by our house into 3 lots.  The 2 lots on either side of us are "flag lots".

We're not entirely sure exactly where the property line is drawn on this south side.  We've treated the mass of the ivy here as the dividing line but, as the ivy is always expanding, it's fuzzy.  The property drops down again somewhere in the middle of that mass.

 

The ivy isn't the only problem.

I planted a Matilija poppy (Romneya coulteri, left) next to the Ceanothus, which was a big mistake.  We've tried digging it out without success.  I cut it down to the ground every year.  I've already cut it back once more this year.  It's about the bloom.  We didn't know there was a peach tree (Prunus persica, right) here until the Yucca was removed.  It's never produced fruit and it's routinely afflicted with peach leaf curl even when I remember to spray it.  I'd like to take it out but it provides a modicum of privacy between us and our south-side neighbor.

Weeds run amok in the area, especially following the rain.  In addition to the 2 shown here, scarlet pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis, left) and Geranium incanum (right), sweet alyssum (Lobularia maritima) and dandelions are everywhere.

 

Much as I've love to pull out all the ivy on the upper side of slope and terrace it, I've finally accepted that it's not practical.  There's no way to get heavy equipment down there and it would be very expensive to have all the work done manually.  As I've made periodic stabs at clearing the ivy along the stairway, I've learned it's also beyond my capacity - it grows faster than I can remove it.  However, nature has made an effort to help me out.

Centranthus ruber has planted itself in areas I'd (temporarily) cleared.  And it appears that a peach tree has planted itself behind it in the middle of the ivy too.

 

So that's the rundown on the current state of my back slope!  I'm sure it'll continue to change in minor ways.  The Echium webbii, for example, has to go once it finishes blooming.  I'll probably replace it with succulents.  Adding a groundcover to combat the out-of-control weeds is also something I'd like to do before next winter's rain arrives.


 

All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

 

 

23 comments:

  1. The back slope is an extremely challenging area to garden and yet it looks green and lush. It is about all one can hope for, considering you have a massive garden to take care of. The Agave attenuata, Echium and all the cuttings you planted really paid off.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chavli. Given that I want to remove Echium webbii from its current spot, mainly because it impedes the narrow pathway both I and the gardeners use (the latter to shear the bay laurel hedge), I'd like to find another spot for an Echium elsewhere. I can't let go of the idea that there's space there that I could use for effectively ;) Maybe I can cut back that mass of ivy on the south end...

      Delete
  2. Now that I'm older, I can't live without my electric pruning shears, I even prune my roses with them. You can get small ones with 12 inch blades which might be easier to use than the full size ones, considering you would be having to 'billy goat' up and down that precarious walkway while using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need a smaller tool to do that trimming. I don't expect many billy goats have bum knees ;)

      Delete
  3. Sigh. It's stunning all the way around. And that area certainly doesn't look ignored. Oh my goodness, it looks like heaven on earth. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be heaven on earth, I think it'd need an escalator and terracing, Beth! It is pretty this time of year, though :)

      Delete
  4. It is interesting to hear what is aggressive in different parts of the country. I think ivy is problematic everywhere. I had it in my former garden and knew not to do that again. I do have some in a pot which I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy is widely regarding as an invasive pest here, Phillip, but my guess is that, back in the early 1950s when this house was built, it was seen as an easy way to cover ground fast.

      Delete
  5. It is absolutely glorious Kris! I love bits of gardens that try to turn wild, but you have managed to keep it in check, especially with the footpath going down. I know from the rockery in my old garden how tricky it can be working on a slope too! I recently got a rechargeable mini hedge trimmer. It is so light and I was amazed at how quickly I could do my spring tidy up with it, so definitely recommend something like that for your ivy or rosemary. How wonderful to have all those Centranthus growing in between it too. I love it! Love the artichokes too… tried growing some last year but it is too cold here in winter. Kris, I have often tried to find out how to subscribe to your blog, but can't find a button or anything. Can you help?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for that mini hedge-trimmer, Cathy. My birthday is coming up so maybe I can pass along the idea to my husband - he's always perplexed at what to get me ;) On the subscription issue, Google Blogger eliminated its built-in feature last year and I haven't done anything to replace it yet but it's on my list. If it helps, I generally publish new posts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

      Delete
    2. I offer Followit for my blog. And for my own reading, I use Feedly. There's also Bloglovin.

      Delete
  6. Oh, it is beautiful! My hips match your knees, I sympathize with the challenge of that large slope. The agave attenuata looks so lovely and soft with it's big leaves there. The euphorbia, aeonium and lampranthus are an excellent combo. Now I am off to google electric pruning shears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agave attenuata seems to be the most popular agave in my immediate area, tz. It was the one and only succulent here when we moved in 10+ years ago. I've taken pups from that original clump and moved them all over my garden.

      Delete
  7. Your back slope is bigger and better than many entire gardens that I see. So much beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bigger than my former townhouse garden was, that's for sure. I literally used every inch of that former garden, which may be why it bugs me so much that I'm unable to do much with the upper level of the slope.

      Delete
  8. It looks great considering the many obstacles and issues like the fire ants. You and the rain worked some magic.

    Who knew Artichokes are so beautiful? And that they come back every year? (Not me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving the rain most of the credit, HB. I did very little with the space last year. Artichokes are great drought-tolerant plants. Last year I let most of the chokes flower. Their only downside is that, if you harvest the chokes to eat, it's best to carry a bucket of soapy water with you to drop them in. The first time I cut them, earwigs abandoned ship and started climbing up my arm!

      Delete
  9. What a challenging space you have there Kris. I think you've done well in spite of the issues there. If only you could get rid of the damn Ivy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be a bit less challenging if my knee didn't kick up a fit every time I spend time working down there, Kathy :( The only person I ever spoke with about removing the ivy said he'd use Round-up so that was a no-go. I know people who've taken ivy out on flat surfaces but a slope that steep increases the challenge dramatically.

      Delete
  10. I've never seen the back slope looking so well... a bit of rain and it responds! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain made a difference everywhere but I think weeds (like Centranthus) and succulents may be the ideal plants for that area, Eliza ;)

      Delete
  11. The back slope is looking good! Every time I see your artichokes, I am tempted to try them myself. Will be interesting to see if they like dry clay. Centranthus ruber has naturalized in places up here too. The name, scarlet pimpernel, makes me laugh, and will always remind me of Daffy (Dumas) Duck playing his role as The Scarlet Pumpernickel in a Warner Bros cartoon. We've got that one wisping its way along the driveway. I don't try too hard to get rid of it, though I wish we had the blue-flowered variety. I will commiserate a little bit on terracing. It's been hard to accept the limits of what we can afford to do and what we can physically do ourselves. We've got a little bit of a back slope ourselves, less steep than yours, but I hate slipping down it and trying to keep it mowed. Will get a series of steps installed eventually, but there are soooo many other projects to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artichokes are worth a try, Jerry, especially if you can buy them in a cheap 6-pack like I did years ago. My soil leans in the sandy direction so I can't say how well they'll handle clay.

      I often wish I could see what my upper slope looks like without its thick cover of ivy and honeysuckle but, once I clear one 4x-2' segment and move to another, the first bit is covered again before I'm done.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.