Friday, May 5, 2023

My cutting garden is on a slow roll

I cleared my cutting garden in late October and, after replenishing the soil in the raised beds, planted it in early November.  I sowed seeds and planted plugs and bulbs, envisioning a late winter/early spring extravaganza.  However, along with the unexpected and much appreciated rainfall, we've had temperatures that were persistently lower than usual from winter into spring.  While I prefer temperatures on the lower end of coastal Southern California's spectrum, even I'm tired to daytime temperatures in the 50s and 60sF.  We've only had a handful of days with temperatures in the 70s and just one that reached into the upper 80s.  We even had rain in May!

View from my backyard garden yesterday morning following a storm that reportedly originated in Alaska.  It brought cooler temperatures back just as we were starting to warm up

We got a little less than one-quarter of an inch of rain but that refilled my empty 50-gallon tank and topped off my 160-gallon tank, which was a boon

 

I've been expecting blooms from many of the plants in my cutting garden since early March but the garden remained in near-stasis throughout April.  My sweet peas have yet to produce their first flowers and the larkspur (Consolida ajacis) and love-in-the-mist (Nigella) plants I sowed from seed in early November are just now sporting their first blooms.

View of the cutting garden looking northeast

View from the other direction looking northwest

I thinned the sweet pea seedlings early in their development but they took so long to get going after that I started to ignore them so, once again, the vines are far more crowded than they should be - and there are still no flowers

I thinned the Nigella seedlings at least 3 times.  They've had buds for over a month but so far I've seen just one bloom.  They look like they're ready to burst open en masse but they haven't.

The foxgloves shot up at last in response to one 2-day warm spell a week ago

The Anemone coronaria have produced flowers now and then over the last 2 months but they've been disappointing overall - and now they're being swamped by sweet pea vines

I ordered snapdragons in the 'Chantilly' series from Annie's Annuals in February and March, as they became available.  Last year, I was able to get them in December so I imagine that Annie's production line must also have been impacted by weather conditions.

For a long time, the only blooms in my cutting garden came from these noID Calendulas I picked up at my local garden center.  The return of our morning marine layer, combined with somewhat higher temperatures, has caused mildew to develop on Calendulas in other parts of my garden but these 2 plants aren't looking too bad (yet).

The larkspur (Consolida ajacis) sown from seed are taller than any I've grown before and they've been covered in buds for weeks but the first flowers didn't show up until 2 days ago

All my foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) are plants in the 'Dalmation' series

Orlaya grandiflora, sown from seed in November, and self-sown Coriandrum sativum (cilantro) also grew sky-high this year.  They started blooming late last week.


My container plants got a quicker start, primarily because I planted them up with larger plants.

I cut the 'Dalmatian Peach' Digitalis in the barrel on the left 2 weeks ago but the plant should produce more flower stalks give a little time.  I recently replanted the barrel in the middle with a Helianthus 'Sunbelievable Brown-Eyed Girl' after finding it in my local garden center a week ago.  The third barrel on the right contains Antirrhinum 'Chantilly Peach', planted in February.  The snapdragons are under-planted with Viola 'Penny Peach' and noID Nemesia.  I had 2 Ranunculus in there too but they've already finished up.

These pots containing Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky', Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Red' and A. 'Pink Comet' have been going strong since last year


In the absence of flowers, the foliage plants in my cutting garden have helped liven up the space.

Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' (left) and Diospyros 'Fuyu' (persimmon) have fully leafed out

The succulent plantings at the base of 2 of the 3 raised beds loved all the rain.  The bed on the left contains Aeonium arboreum and the bed on the right contains Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' (plus a bulbil of Agave vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass' (in the pot)Unfortunately, the Didelta 'Silver Strand' cuttings I planted at the base of the third planter (not shown) haven't done much of anything.

 Aeonium arboreum also lines the bed containing 3 citrus trees (left).  More Aeonium and a dwarf Japanese maple share a bed along the fence with the persimmon tree and a couple of ivy geraniums (Pelargonium peltatum).

 

As my larger garden has provided lots of material to fill my vases, I probably wouldn't feel any urgency about getting the cool season blooms off and running were I not well aware that summer will soon by nipping at our heels.  The local garden centers are already selling dahlias in full bloom in large containers.  I finally decided I couldn't wait for space to open up in the raised planters in my cutting garden so I've once again resorted to getting the tubers started in temporary pots.

I've potted up 21 dahlia tubers thus far (not all shown here)


There's a slim chance of a bit more rain overnight but, even if it happens, it's unlikely to amount to much.  Next week is expected to be warmer but then I keep hearing that.  How warm it will get here will depend on whether the marine layer creeps back in as the current storm system heads east.

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend.  I'll close with a pretty bloom from my backyard border that, despite our cooler-than-usual temperatures, is likely to be gone by Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.

This is Iris germanica 'City Lights'


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


19 comments:

  1. I feel the same, it's a bit gloomy. Let's get this show on the road! I love those snapdragons from Annie's, the color is so good. The calendula were dependable this year, I should sow some seed of it now for next year. Oh! that iris is perfection. So, I'm new to blogging - is Garden Bloggers Bloom Day exactly what it seems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day was the brainchild of Carol of May Dreams Gardens, tz. I first participated in January 2013 but Carol introduced it many years before that. She hosts the meme on the 15th of each month with bloggers linking up to her blog. It doesn't draw bloggers in the same numbers it once did (probably because there are fewer garden bloggers than there once were). I've continued to participate, partly because it creates a great record of bloom trends in my garden, but I now shift the dates of those posts some to fit my Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the explanation!

      Delete
  2. How frustrating! I planted sweet pea starts (I wasn't planning to grow them but spotted a nearly black variety in a 6-pack) that are only just starting to climb, no signs of a bud. At this rate I'm going to have to pull them out before they bloom to make room for tomatoes and basil! Here's hoping your cutting garden snaps to with the coming warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! As the combination of our morning marine layer and warmer afternoon temperatures usually promotes mildew on the sweet pea vines, the delay is especially annoying. In prior years, I often pull the sweet peas by the end of May due to mildew. I don't think they've ever been as tardy as they are this year - and the marine layer usually isn't a factor in April as it was this year either. Grrr...

      Delete
  3. Despite floral lack that area of your garden still looks lovely--tidy and cared for. That has its own beauty under a sky of rich blue and fluffy white clouds. Speaking of rich blue what a beautiful Iris!

    Sweet peas are going here now--still waiting on Larkspur, hoping it can flower before a heat wave kills them all off. The rain yesterday snapped off almost every one of the towering Bachelor's Button plants so I gathered what flowers they had and put the lavish green into the compost. Need space for the tomato plants ASAP.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    We got .51" yesterday. It came from the south west explaining why more rain than your area. This morning there was one little cell that moved in again from the southwest--could see it coming from the balcony--the cell hung over us without moving giving .12" more until it evaporated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you lost the bachelor's buttons, HB - the rain in your area must have come down hard! We got a bit more rain overnight as well, yielding 0.43/inch in total. The clouds were more ominous this morning than they were yesterday but Weather Underground gives us only a 9% chance of anything more tonight.

      Delete
  4. I have difficulties with temperatures warmer than low 70's. We had a few warmer days, my garden responded in a grand fashion, which was exciting though less comfortable for me...
    I can't even fathom 21 pots with Dahlia tuber... you've been busy! And truly, your garden is so full of bloom, I hope it will help with the disappointment of the cutting garden.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At present I've no idea where those 21 tubers will go, Chavli, even if I'm able to clear most of the 3 raised beds. However, I know from experience that not all of them are likely to to sprout. Some of those I saved from last year didn't look great when I pulled them from their perlite nests and even some of those I purchased new this season arrived in less than perfect condition. The 2 sellers I obtained new tubers from this year both sell 2 clumps to a package, which at least gives me a chance of getting one of each variety.

      Delete
  5. Your cutting garden is so lush, Kris... I expect it will soon be very floriferous! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at how long all those plants are taking. They've got lots of buds, which is reassuring but Mother Nature is sure being picky about the blooming schedule ;)

      Delete
  6. How much use do you get out of your 50- and 160-gallon tanks? We don't have room for one of the huge tanks, so I've always wondered if the smaller tanks would be worthwhile. Right now, I put a 5-gallon bucket below the downspout, which attracts mosquitos and collects a lot of debris, so I try to use it up quickly.
    Loving the tight green mounds of Aeonium arboreum. Sowed Calendula for the first time in years. They haven't gotten their first true leaves yet, so ours are waaaaay behind yours. Foxgloves are just beginning to think about sending up spikes and our native Delphiniums (D. trollifolium) are starting to bloom. Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have 3 tanks, in 50-, 160- and 265-gallon sizes. The 265-gallon Bushman tank sits behind our detached garage. It's narrow but tall and, because it's attached to the smallest roof surface, it fills relatively slowly but it's the only place we could place it where it wouldn't detract from the house's curb appeal ;) However, I collect rain from a rainchain attached to the house in plastic trugs during decent storms and dump the contents into that tank. The 50-gallon tank fills quickly from the house roof even when we get just a tenth of an inch. I use it and the 160-gallon tank all the time, emptying them relatively quickly if there's no rain. The 3 tanks are in different areas of the garden so I use them all but I usually emphasize the first 2 during the rainy season so they're empty to catch more rain. I'd love to have a real cistern but I've no room for one. One word of caution if you get yourself a tank: don't pick one that's translucent. My 160-gallon tank is. It tends to grow algae on its sides and isn't easy to clean!.

      Delete
    2. I just found out that my friends have a buried cistern on their property. It's an interesting idea, but not sure where we would place it so it could catch water and be out of the way. I am guessing we would need a sizeable one given how quickly you say yours empties.

      Delete
    3. I think the in-ground cistern is a great idea, although I understand that installation can be pricey - and you need a large space for it. In my area, even if I could find the necessary space, it'd probably require a geological survey, as was required when we pushed our kitchen out a mere 5 feet into an existing patio :(

      Delete
  7. Sorry but I have to chuckle a bit because as you are waiting for things to warm up we are waiting for things to cool down. We have been experiencing summer time temperatures which unfortunately means that all of our early season bulbs have fried. Mother Nature does like to play with us. I hope you get some heat soon. We will take some of your cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is certainly crazy all over, Elaine! I'm sorry your early season bulbs fried. I saw the first couple of blooms on the sweet peas this morning but it's still a race as to whether they'll beat the heat - and the mildew - this season.

      Delete
  8. That iris is gorgeous Kris! I enjoyed seeing your cutting garden. Interesting to learn that you put dahlias in there after the first flush of annuals. Here, our annuals don't flower until June or July, although I may see a Nigella before then. I am considering making a raised bed just for flowers one day, but that won't for a while yet. Maybe next year? 😉 Wishing you some warm sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always trying to close the gap between seasons, Cathy. I'd like to have the dahlias up and ready to go by the time I'm ready to pull out the cool season blooms. Of course, that plan seldom works ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.