Monday, May 15, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Luminous

My title was chosen to describe my first arrangement.  While it was inspired by Hippeastrum 'Luna', that stem ended up being literally pushed to the side by the vase's other contents.  Still, the arrangement does glow.

I transplanted the Hippeastrum 'Luna' bulbs that produced abundant blooms when grown in pots last year in a bed after they flowered and 2 have produced flower stalks so far.  However, Alstroemeria 'Claire' assumed center stage, backed up by 2 white-flowered foxgloves.

The back view shows off stems of Achillea 'Moonshine' and Helichrysum 'Icicles'

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Achillea 'Moonshine', Alstroemeria 'Claire', Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian White', Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles', Prunus ilicifolia, and Hippeastrum 'Luna'


I selected the 'Chantilly Pink' snapdragons in my cutting garden for my second arrangement, originally planning to combine these with some of the Centranthus ruber that currently covers a large part of my back slope; however, the two pinks didn't mesh well so I ended up combining the snapdragons with other flowers.

Alstroemeria 'Inca Vienna', which was just the right shade of pink, took center stage in this arrangement too

I dressed up the back view with a different noID pink Alstroemeria, which didn't quite align with the pink of the snapdragon but did play off the Dorycnium hirsutum (aka hairy Canary clover)

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: noID Anemone coronaria, Dorycnium hirsutum, Alstromeria 'Inca Vienna', Heuchera maxima, Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Orlaya grandiflora, and Antirrhinum majus 'Chantilly Pink'


I'd intended to stop at two arrangements this week but, after just a few warmer days the cutting garden has suddenly stepped up its output.  I probably should've selected more foxgloves but I couldn't help myself from cutting the first sweet pea blooms.

There still aren't many sweet peas blooms but I cut every one available

Back view: I filled in with larkspur (Consolida ajacis) and a couple stems of Coriandrum sativum (aka cilantro)

Top view

First 2 rows, clockwise: Lathyrus odoratus 'Blue Shift', 'Lavender Ice', 'Dancing Queen', and 'Oban Bay'
Bottom row: Orlaya grandiflora and Consolida ajacis 'Summer Skies Mix' and 'Earl Grey'


I'm hoping the sweet peas continue to accelerate production.  Temperatures in the low 80sF (26-27C) are predicted for downtown Los Angeles but, as our morning marine layer is still going strong along the coast, it's likely to keep our afternoon temperatures well below that.  Nonetheless, signs of summer's approach are showing up.  The Achillea 'Moonshine' blooms are one sign.  Buds developing on the Agapanthus are another, and yesterday morning I discovered the first sprout of one of the dahlia tubers I potted up in late April.  Summer is definitely mounting an advance.


For more IAVOM blooms, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. Luminous indeed! I could almost smell those sweet peas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet peas may have been few in number but they have managed to deliver a delicious scent, Loree.

      Delete
  2. Oh you have hit the jackpot today, Kris, with your three gorgeous vases - the first one works so well with the whites and greens, then we have the pink alstroemeria and antirrhinum, and then the purply blues of the third one - lovely! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luminous is the right word for all your arrangements! Always great combinations...and great vases/pots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh all three are beautiful and made with attention to detail as always Kris. I'm especially drawn to the third vase which contains some of my favourite flowers. My orlaya are just coming in to flower now but I will have a good wait for sweet peas and larkspur. It's good to enjoy yours in the meantime 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such are the differences between our seasons, my sweet peas and larkspur will probably be here and gone before yours arrive, Anna. I just hope I get a lot more sweet peas before the vines either mildew or burn up (or both!).

      Delete
  5. Those pale Alstroemeria are beautiful. So many of them are intense colors that it is a pleasure to see this in a bouquet. Sweet peas are one of those plants I keep thinking i will try to grow. It's photos and bouquets like yours that make me consider taking that plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet peas are a joy, Linda. The only problem here is timing. I sowed my seeds in late October this year but they really didn't do anything until the temperatures began to creep up a bit in April. I think they want still more warmth to bloom but our cool temperatures continue. The sun hasn't broken through the marine layer haze yet and it's near 4pm.

      Delete
  6. Luminous, indeed. I love the color combinations again. And am still mystified by Sweet Peas in May, I guess it is the marine layer. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Provided the seeds are sown in September or October, sweet peas generally bloom here by early April, Amelia. That didn't happen this year. I'm blaming the cooler-than-usual temperatures and the fact that the marine layer geared up in April, much earlier than "normal."

      Delete
  7. All very lovely. The Hippeastrum bulbs multiply very well so you'll have a clump soon enough. Pinks are tricky to coordinate, but not as bad as reds and oranges. Yellows all seem to go together.

    Please no mention of the "S" season, (not "Spring", the other one) yet. May-Gray, good. July-Fry, bad!

    Here, hoping the Larkspur flowers open before they toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hippeastrum bulbs I planted in the front garden 2+ years ago haven't done much yet - the ones I planted in my former garden developed clumps more quickly. You're right about how picky pink flowers are about how they're combined.

      The marine layer started in April this year. I complained that there wasn't even a name for that event in April but the Wikipedia article on what's best known as "June Gloom" appears to have been updated recently, now listing "Graypril."

      Delete
  8. Oooh, sweet peas, I am envious! Mine have just sprouted, so I have a while to go yet. :) Splendid arrangements, Kris, per usual! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sowed my sweet pea seeds in late October. They sprouted relatively promptly but then sat there and did nothing for months. I don't think my assignment of blame to the persistence of cooler temperatures is mistaken. However, I'm very glad they've at least made a start, Eliza.

      Delete
  9. I always like the cool, white-to-green (with a touch of yellow) flowers on a hot summer day, and it's hot today in Seattle. You even found a spot for Helichrysum 'Icicles', a nice touch.
    'Chantilly Pink' snapdragons, as I'm sure I have commented on in the past, has the most amazing sorbet like shade of pink. Delicious.
    To think you have foxglove, snapdragons And anemone blooming at the same time is quite the head spinner.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite plentiful rainfall, the Anemones were disappointing this year and, as the entire raised planter they're in has now been swamped by sweet pea vines, I'm only seeing a few blooms around the edges of the bed. The Anemones are usually among our earliest spring blooms and would normally be gone by the time the sweet peas arrive. Foxgloves and snapdragons like cool temperatures here and generally finish up before summer's heat gets intense. But it's still relatively cool (low 60s) here along the coast! Under "normal" circumstances our temperature on the east side of the peninsula (where we don't get the westerly breezes off the ocean) tend to mirror those of downtown LA but, at the moment, we're running 10+ degrees cooler.

      Delete
  10. They are all luminous Kris....but that first one is especially stunning with the whites and a bit of yellow to balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with how that arrangement turned out, Donna, even if the Hippeastrum got pushed to the side.

      Delete
  11. Love the color and variety of each arrangement. You are in flower heaven, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I actually feel a little like a flower farmer, Susie. I briefly thought of assembling small vases of flowers to give away on Mother's Day as I did in the first year of the pandemic but I ran out of time.

      Delete
  12. The colours in all of your vases this week blend so well. I like the way you have used Moonshine to pep up the first one, and at the same time tone down its own strong yellow. Your antirrhinums in both vases are wonderful specimens - so tall and straight! And the last vase is sweet not only for the peas but the lovely larkspur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I was pleased that Achillea 'Moonshine' timed its bloom period so well ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.