Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Bloom Day (Part 2) - May 2023

I've broken my May 2023 Bloom Day post into segments because even I've found my garden overwhelming this month.  Part one can be found here.

Today's post covers my south-side and north-side gardens.  I'll start with the south-side area, using some wide shots to help with orientation.

This is the south-side garden photographed from our back garden looking west

Leucadendron 'High Gold' is the most prominent flowering shrub to be seen from this end but there are other flowers here and there

Touches of orange-red can be found growing as a groundcover below the LeucospermumMetrosideros collina 'Spring Fire' (right) echos the color from the other side of the flagstone path.  Leucospermum 'Sunrise' has chosen not to bloom this year, presumably because I cut it back too hard or too late last year.

This Agave 'Blue Glow' sits just outside the frame of the earlier wide shot.  Its flowers appear to be mostly spent but I'm giving it time to see if the scruffy bloom stalk will develop bulbils.  So far the mother plant shows no sign of decline.

Just behind the Agave in the last photo you can see this Hymenolepsis crithmifolia (aka Coulter bush)

Hidden to the right of Leucospermum 'High Gold' are Grevillea alpina x rosmarinifolia and G. 'Poorinda Leane', both shown here in flower closeups

This wide shot was taken from the small patio on the south side of the house looking further south

Lagurus ovatus (aka bunny tail grass) has self-seeded in among my succulents.  I sowed the original seeds in another bed years ago but they chose to move themselves to spots of their own choosing.

These are plants you might have spotted in the last wide shot if you have an eagle eye.  Clockwise from the upper left they are: self-seeded Eschscholzia californica (California poppies), Grevillea 'Moonlight', and the first flowers of Salvia clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman'.  I sowed more poppy seeds in the bed adjacent to the patio in February and they're only just starting to bloom.

The plants shown here can't be seen in any of my wide shots.  As in other parts of my garden, Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi Verde' (left) is blooming heavier this year.  The groundcover Delosperma (aka lavender ice plant, right) is growing along the dirt path between the south-side bed and the hedge behind it.

This wide shot of the south-side garden was taken from the front garden looking east.  It provides the best view of the area.

I'm happy with this combination, dominated by 3 varieties of Cistus and Callistemon 'Hot Pink', and punctuated by the vivid foliage of Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'

A closer look at Callistemon 'Hot Pink'

This is Cistus x pulverulentus 'Sunset'

These are closeups of the other 2 other hybrid Cistus, C. 'Grayswood Pink' (left) and C. x scanbergii

Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender) occupies the south end of the bed containing the Cistus

A self-seeded Echium candicans sits at the far end of the same bed, right along the property line


Now, we'll move to the north-side garden.

View of the north-side garden from the walkway adjacent to the house

A deeper view of the same area from a slightly different angle

Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl' is the flashiest plant in this area at the moment

Flowers of Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' are crowding the gravel path that leads to our back slope.  I've promised my husband I'll cut back the Aeonium as soon as the plants are done blooming.

Centranthus ruber is a weed here but a pretty one

The bloom stalk on Agave vilmoriniana is the prettiest of the 3 agaves currently blooming in my garden

The Cistus viridiflorus visible in the photo of the agave above is shown closer up here, along with the Osteospermum 'Double Moonglow' growing in front of it

Other blooming plants in this area include, clockwise from the upper left: Erigeron karvinskianus (another weed here), Grevillea sericea, Lavandula dentata, Oenothera speciosa, and Sideritis cypria

Another wide shot of the north-side garden taken from the other end of the area

Psoralea pennata (aka Kool-aid bush because of its grape soda scent) is putting on its spring show.  It's a bit spindly for my taste but it's flowering heavily.

A variety of Pelargoniums line the bed along the walkway adjacent to the house.  These are Pelargonium 'Lemona' (left) and P. 'Lady Plymouth' (right).


I haven't yet covered the front garden but I may wrap up the week with the blooms there, finally calling Bloom Day a wrap.  As I use some of the same flowers in various areas of the garden, I'm not sure this is the easiest presentation in terms of my time but I'd be interested to know if readers feel it's easier to digest.


For other Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, check in with our host, Carol at May Dreams Gardens.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



26 comments:

  1. As a reader, I just like looking at flora and fauna, call it GBBD or anything else... I got the lighter end of the load :-D
    I do hope you get bulbils from Agave 'Blue Glow', though A. vilmoriniana has the better looking flower by far. "They call me mellow yellow" keeps playing in my head seeing... its a beautiful soft shade of yellow.
    The thought of "self-seeded Echium candicans" kinda blows my mind.
    Cutting back Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi'... I predict another neighborhood giveaway.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A neighbor's Agave 'Blue Glow', which bloomed several months before mine, produced only a handful of bulbils but her agave also hasn't died back. Mine shows no sign of dying back either and, like hers, it's produced large pups on its sides (hard to harvest without destroying the plant). As I recall, Gerhard of Succulents & More reported a similar experience so maybe this is part of this hybrid agave's DNA. We shall see!

      I had a brief exchange with another neighbor this afternoon who was transplanting divisions from one of his self-seeded Echium candicans. They look very sad at present but he says he's gotten them to establish in other situations. I offered him a few cuttings of Aeonium arboreum before I realized he had a few of the plants already. He graciously accepted those I handed over but his reaction made me wonder if I've already tapped out the neighbors' appetite for plants in that genus ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, everything seems to be pulling out all the stops. The Kool-aid bush is cool. Can imagine how great it would be to experience a grape scent as you wander the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year's rain was genuinely transformative, Elaine. I have to get fairly close to the Psoralea flowers to catch their scent but then I don't have the best nose for detecting scent to start with.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I was better able to appreciate each of the flowers you grow in this format, but really I could barely scroll past that image at the very top as it's simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucspermum does a do a great job of enhancing the succulents, Loree ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your beautiful, bountiful garden! I couldn't pick a favorite among all of them, but I find Echiums fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to meet an Echium I didn't like, Beth ;)

      Delete
  5. I have to keep reminding myself of where you live when I look at scenes like these. There's so much color and abundance. Just a pleasure to peruse all these images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late summer garden offers a lot less color, Linda, but spring - particularly this cooler spring following ample rain - is special.

      Delete
  6. So good! The south side textural spiky plantings are possibly my fav -- I love the heights and rhythm and play of the plants here dotted with agaves culminating in the drama of the leucospermum in bloom. And your cistus/callistemon/cotinus grouping is inspired and looks like it came out exactly as you planned -- not an easy feat with plants! And the shot of a couple stems of sideritis in front of the whale's tongue agave is wonderful, the delicate vertical against the solidity of the agave. Bravo, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good (explosive!) year for blooms here, Denise. I do love that vignette with the Cotinus, Callistemon and Cistus and just hope I can keep the sizes of those plants balanced in the future.

      Delete
  7. Spectacular views Kris. You are such an accomplished gardener and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful--nice to see the plants in their larger context as well as the close ups of the flowers. Cistus look particularly good after a good winter rain season. 'High Gold' looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be able to address the yellow Leucospermum by its real name at last. I guess one should never rely on plant tags.

      Delete
  9. I just love all the design elements in the south-side garden. And, the juxtaposition between what looks to be a weeping willow in the background with the agaves, leucospermum, and that beautiful specimen of a tree on the right.
    I found myself wishing that all the computing/technogeeks would focus on making it possible for us to send scents over the internet, rather than AI, so I could smell the Psoralea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The south-side garden is possibly my favorite overall, Jerry - and it generally requires the least maintenance too. The weeping tree is an Agonis flexuosa aka peppermint willow. I was lucky to inherit 6 of them with the garden, along with 4 Arbutus 'Marina', one of which is visible in that first photo. While the garden also came with a whole lot of lawn, which we removed in increments, I'm very appreciative of the mature trees.

      Delete
  10. Wow. Just wow. This 3-parter has more flowers than an Annie's Annuals catalog! Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a particularly floriferous year, Gerhard.

      Delete
  11. Your garden has always been overload for me no matter the season, so bring it on. It seems to be the complete opposite of anything I would do, but isn't that what gardening is about... personal to each individual? Your garden is packed full of beauty and a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. I imagine my climate is nearly the opposite of yours too ;)

      Delete
  12. I'm still amazed at the abundance that the rain has brought, lush and bursting at the edges! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Overwhelming in the best stop and stare way. What fabulous combinations you have accomplished here. Lovely - the wide shot of the path looking south is dreamy. The agave stalk bloom is quite a stunner, are you going out to check on it often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have 3 different agaves with bloom stalks. So far, I haven't seen bulbils on any of them. Based on my neighbor's recent experience with her 'Blue Glow', I'm not expected more than a handful of bulbils from it. Interestingly, that plant also hasn't shown any signs of decline yet either, which can't be said for the other 2 blooming agaves.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.