Friday, February 24, 2023

Madrona Marsh (part 2)

With this post I'm taking you across the street from Madrona's Nature Center, covered in my prior post,  to the Madrona Marsh Preserve itself. 



 

There aren't many wetlands left within the vast expanse of Los Angeles County.  Even though I've lived in the general area for more than two decades, I'd never paid a visit to this 43-acre throwback to a different time until 2018.  And it's only nine miles from our current home!  You can read about my first visit here and my second in 2019 here.  I'd intended to pay another visit in early summer 2019 but somehow that plan was delayed for four years.

The marsh itself hasn't changed much, which I suppose is a good thing.  Without any actual data, and despite our heavier-than-usual rain in January, my sense is that the preserve is drier than it was at the time of my last visit at the end of January 2019.  I also saw far fewer birds on this occasion; however, the fabric of the place is still much the same.

These signs establish the rules governing use of the Preserve, which were generally respected even without any obvious enforcement measures

In this case, it's worth paying attention to the map and the information it offers before heading off along one trail or another

This is what the Preserve refers to as coastal prairie

The bush sunflowers (Encelia californica) were blooming throughout the prairie area


 

In contrast to the native plant garden surrounding the Nature Center, the emphasis within the preserve itself has less to do with individual plants than the overall feel of the place but that doesn't mean I didn't take a close look at selected plants.

Clockwise from the upper left, I identified Amsinckia menziesii (fiddleneck, an annual herb), Baccharis salicifolia (mulefat), Encelia californica, Peritoma arborea (bladderpod), Quercus agrifolia (California live oak), and Salix laseolepis (arroyo willow)

 

The "vernal pools" that fill during our winter rainy season were more evident than they were during my first visit in 2018 but appeared less expansive than they'd been at the time of my 2019 visit.

The water's depth was less than one foot in this pool


This was the best shot I got of the geese on site.  I spotted another pair in the wetland area but, partially screened by dry foliage and trees, the photos I took of them were fuzzy.  I made a serious mistake in visiting the marsh without a telephoto lens.

 

I'd hoped to find more birds in the wetlands.  I did but their numbers were noticeably less than I found during my 2019 visit.  Whether that had to do with the lower water levels or colder temperatures associated with the storm system moving into our area - or other factors entirely - I can't say.

You know you've entered the deeper wetland area when you see clumps of tule (Schoenoplectus acutus) in the water

The bare tree branches are all the more attractive when reflected in the water



This was my best photo of a duck, even if he was turned away from me, apparently sleeping, and half-hidden within a thicket of branches 


There were numerous pairs of ducks in this area of the wetlands but, without a telephoto lens, I wasn't able to get many photos

These were my best duck photos, taken nearer the shore but still at a distance and therefore somewhat fuzzy


On my way to the exit, I passed the Preserve's propagation nursery.

I think the propagation done here is done for the benefit of the Preserve and not for sale


If you're in the area and interested in a visit, I recommend checking out the Preserve's website.  There's no charge for admission, although you can offer a donation.  Spring and early summer may be the best times to visit; however, the website has slideshows and videos showing what the area looks like at other times of the year.  It also offers photos of the insects, birds, and even mammals that call the area home.  I'm going to try to pay an early summer visit this year - and I'll bring the camera with a telephoto lens with me next time.

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend.  It's unusually cold here and we're anticipating heavy rain today.  We briefly had hail yesterday morning!


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party




20 comments:

  1. I love the photos of the propagation area, I want to go in there and look at all the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to volunteer with the propagation team, Loree, but someone would have to train me first as I know very little about propagating natives and have only nascent skills in propagation to begin with.

      Delete
  2. A phone number without an area code on that sign? Have not seen that for a long while.

    A good indication of what the land was like before Europeans arrived. Really interesting. Much of the LA basin was grassland with coastal sage scrub and chapparral for the foothills and sandy headlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've laughed every time I've seen that sign, HB. I wondered if the area code might even be "213" but, according to the website, it's "310". Even "310" is old as the area's been issuing phone numbers with area code "424" for a decade or more now.

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you. That's a beautiful hike, and another location to put on the "must see" list for the next time I'm out there. The wetlands are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's remarkably different than anything else you'd find in the area, Beth. The comparison is especially stark given that there are businesses like an auto supply store, tire store, and major shopping mall nearby.

      Delete
  4. I remember your previous posts, Kris. I was intrigued that such a little oasis existed in the midst of all that urban sprawl. A veritable refuge! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an almost unreal space, Eliza, although the main paths direct visitors along the perimeters, where the traffic noise intrudes on the peace the Preserve offers.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps to keep the centre quieter for the wildlife?

      Delete
    3. Probably, Diana. They certainly don't want visitors feeding the ducks, geese and other birds/wildlife.

      Delete
  5. Looking at your photos, I had a hard time connecting them with Torrance ! I looked the location up on the map and wow, right there on Sepulveda. It's kind of shocking that this area was preserved. Back in the really olden days the main feature here was Del Amo Center with a Broadway that didn't require you to go downtown or to the Wilshire district.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stone's throw from the Del Amo mall, Kathy. You wouldn't know it was there unless someone pointed it out to you. I'd heard of it because my mother-in-law was an avid birder and she'd pop over there when there was news of a rare bird sighting but I didn't visit it for the first time until 5 years after her passing. It's rather remarkable that it's survived in what's a very developed area. Kudos go to the City of Torrance!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE that bug hotel in part 1 of your report. I'd be very happy to have it in my garden. I'm sure my garden bugs would love so much that I'd need to put a small, 'No Vacancy' sign :-D
    It's fantastic that the city of Torrence saved that wild space, the Madrona Marsh Preserve, for nature's sake and people's sake. The images of the wetlands are wonderful, even without the extra lens.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have done much better with the bird photos if I'd had a telephoto lens, though!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful, peaceful place to linger awhile. Sad to hear about the diminishing number of birds. You'd think that this would be where they would love to gather; plenty of water, food, and places to hide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the timing of all 3 of my trips to the Preserve over the years have occurred between the end of January and mid-February, I'm hoping the marsh will see more birds once temperatures rise. We've had an unusually cold winter (by our standards) and, with the current weather whiplash, temperatures have fallen again.

      Delete
  8. Based on your photos, you might think this is somewhere out in the country. Actually, it looks very similar to areas along the Cosumnes River in the Central Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a place like this within densely populated Los Angeles County feels like a near miracle, Gerhard. I'm familiar with one other watershed area, Ballona Creek and its associated wetlands, but it's been plagued in the past with litter and pollution, although there's a non-profit organization dedicated to its "renaissance."

      Delete
  9. Very, very different feel compared to part 1. Altogether a different world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, especially if you saw what the surrounding area looks like. It's a very small oasis within a very busy city.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.