Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Bloom Day - February 2023

Spring comes early in coastal Southern California and I expect that many who read this post will consider it proof of that statement.  While there are a lot of flowers making an appearance, they're generally less profuse than they were last year.  A few have only just arrived.  I think the lag I perceive may be attributable to the persistence of colder than average temperatures. 

I'll start with the plants making the biggest splash.

I check out the back slope less often than I should.  I hadn't been down there in almost 2 weeks and was shocked when I realized that Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt' was in full bloom.  It bloomed in February last year and the noID Ceanothus hedge on the main level of the back garden is also blooming so I shouldn't have been surprised.

While on the back slope, I found that the plant I purchased years ago as Abelia speciosa 'Chiapas' is also blooming.  An updated online search for the plant showed no new sources but it appears the plant has been reclassified as Vesalea floribunda.  The new classification reflects a differentiation between the glossy Abelias of Asian origin and species native to Mexico and Central America.  I tried propagating it last year but got only one cutting to develop roots.  I thought I'd lost it over the summer but a tiny seeding recently appeared in its spot.  Fingers crossed but I'm going to take more cuttings this month.

The Aeonium arboreums are producing masses of tall bloom stalks all over my garden.  They make long-lasting cut flowers if you like florescent yellow.

Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' arrived on schedule this month.  It's well ahead of other varieties in its genus this year.

This Calliandra haematocephala (red powder puff) is another reliable bloomer.  The other 2 shrubs that also came with the garden rarely bloom, presumably due to receiving less sun.

Euphorbia rigida has florescent yellow blooms rather like Aeonium arboreum but I love these flowers, probably because they're sparser and the blue foliage tempers the bright yellow

 

Other plants make a splash because of the sheer numbers of varieties that put on a show at the same time.

Most of my Aloes aren't sufficiently well established to bloom but 3 did this year.  Clockwise from the left: Aloe vanbalenii x ferox, A. cryptopoda, and A. vanbalenii x striata.

Argyranthemums are at their best when temperatures are cool.  Clockwise from upper left:  'Aramis Bi-color', 'Pink Comet', 'Grandaisy Red', and 'White Butterfly'.

The large-flowered Grevilleas bloom year-round here but the smaller-flowered varieties join them in late winter and early spring.  Clockwise from upper left: Grevillea alpina x rosmarinifolia, G. 'Peaches & Cream', G. 'Poorinda Leane', and the vigorous G. 'Superb'.

Grevilleas with pink and red flowers include, clockwise from upper left: Grevillea sericea (shown in a wide shot and a closeup), G. lavandulacea 'Penola', and G. 'Scarlet Sprite' (also shown in a wide shot and a closeup)

Several of my potted Hippeastrums, all grown outdoors, are blooming.  Clockwise from upper left: 'La Paz', 'Rozetta', 'Neon', noID sold as 'Blushing Bride' (which should be pink), and dwarf 'Saffron'.

The colored bracts of Leucadendrons aren't true flowers but they're flower-like at this time of year.  Clockwise from upper left: 'Blush', 'Winter Red' (which has pale yellow "blooms" earlier in the year), 'Safari Sunset', 'Chief', and 'Wilson's Wonder'.  The last is usually one of the most floriferous at this time of year but untimely pruning cost me most of those "flowers" this year.

Osteospermums are also at their very best during our cooler months.  Clockwise from upper left: '4D Violet Ice' (wide shot and closeup), 'Double Moonglow', '4D Silver', noID pink variety, '4D Pink' (wide shot and closeup), and a mix of self-sown white varieties.

 

I've grouped the plants just beginning their spring launch in a single collage.

Clockwise from upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky', Lobelia laxiflora, Metrosideros collina 'Springfire', Freesia, Anemone coronaria, Ipheion uniflorum, Limonium perezii, and Pyrethropsis hosmariense

 

As those plants get started others are quickly making their way to the exit.

I took these photos of Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection' a week ago.  It's still flowering but dropping handfuls of flowers every day.

This photo of Pyrus calleryana was also taken a week ago,  Half those petals are now on the ground.  It's the closest thing to snowflakes we get here.

 

As always, Bloom Day came with a few surprises.

I planted 10 of these tulip bulbs (Tulipa humilis 'Alba Coerulea Oculata') in early November and promptly forgot about them until 8 bloomed.  They're supposed to grow 4-6 inches tall but all have stems that are one inch at best.  Only time will tell if they'll return to bloom another year (as some species tulips do here) and if they'll grow any taller in future years.

This Isopogon anemonifolius, an Australian native, has flowered sporadically.  The flowers are supposed to be yellow but all have have this ivory color.

I discovered this Agave vilmoriniana, commonly known as octopus agave, while pruning an out-of-control Leucadendron.  This makes 3 agaves in my garden with bloom stalks.  As all are monocarpic, there are going to be some large holes in my garden several months from now!

 

I'll end this post as I usually do with the best of the rest, organized by color.

Clockwise from upper left:  Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum', Trichostemma 'Mignight Magic', Viola 'Penny Peach', Pericallis 'Senetti Violet Bi-color', Salvia rosmarinus 'Gold Dust' (aka rosemary), S. 'Pozo Blue', and Felicia aethiopica

Clockwise from upper left: noID Cyclamen, Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', Primula vulgaris, and Ribes viburnifolium (aka Catalina currant)

Top row: Boronia crenulata 'Shark Bay', Cistus 'Grayswood Pink', and Coleonema 'Sunset Gold'
Middle row: Camellia sasanqua, Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', and Medinilla myriantha
Bottom row: Dianthis barbatus, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', and Pelargonium peltatum

Clockwise from upper left: Crassula orbicularis var rosularis, Dianthus barbatus, Pelargonium 'White Lady', P. peltatum, and Daphne odora

Clockwise from upper left: Arbutus 'Marina', Erysimum 'Winter Orchid', Euryops chrysanthemoides, noID orange Calendula, Gaillardia 'Spintop Copper Sun', noID Narcissus, Senna artemisioides, and noID yellow Calendula

 

Are you convinced that spring is making an entrance in my little corner of the world?  There are a lot of flowers yet in the wings but, even with almost no rain in February as yet, January's heavier-than-usual rainfall has my dream of a glorious spring looking like it may become a reality.

For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, visit our host, Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. I like how you included a wide shots as well as a close-ups of some of your bloomsy, the Camellia for instance: it better demonstrates the presence of the plant in the garden.
    I noticed your black Leucadendron is missing from the 'group photo': does it not have colorful bracts at all?
    I find Viola 'Penny Peach' irresistible: purple orange and white in one little bloom!
    My mom used to grow orange Calendula, so that bloom in particular is very nostalgic for me.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Viola 'Penny Peach' too, Chavli - it's very versatile as a companion plant. Leucadendron 'Ebony' has yet to produce either cones or flower-like bracts. I can't fully account for that as I've seen the "flowers" in other photos online. It may be that I've cut stems at the wrong time in the process of pruning, or for arrangements, but I don't cut that plant often at all. It's also possible that it gets insufficient sun as it's partially engulfed by the much larger Leucadendron 'Chief' behind it and the Grevillea sericea in front of it.

      Delete
  2. When I woke up this morning and remembered it was the 15th, I immediately thought 'oh, goody, it's Bloom Day!' 😄 See how well you have me trained?
    It is such fun to see what is happening in your garden. Love the Ceoanthus and the Isopogon is quite stellar! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm humbled that you think of my garden on Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Eliza. Recently, I've been thinking that I'm giving my mid-month posts too much time and effort yet I still haven't been able to stop myself from compiling all those photos. I do use the posts as reference material more often than I'd have imagined 10 years ago, though :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Lots of beautiful flowers!
    To pick a favorite...the Aloes!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea! I'm guessing you don't see many Aloes in Mississippi ;)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous! So many colorful blooms! I'd be jealous, except right now I'm in San Antonio and the weather has been perfect. Not as many blooms here, but the temperatures are so comfy. Your Camellias! Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying comfortable weather, Beth, even if you had to leave home to find it! As to the Camellia, I think its season may be over by the end of the month.

      Delete
  5. That Ceanothus must have been a delightful surprise.

    Vesalea floribunda--very pretty color. I'll have to go look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ceanothus shouldn't have been a surprise as it usually blooms somewhere between February and March. I really need to spend more time on the back slope, at least during the cool season when fire ants aren't an issue.

      The Mexican Abelia/Vesalea came from Annie's, which used to have a listing under discontinued plants. It no longer shows up there but its original description can be found via PlantLust. I can't find any current sources, at least not in the US. If I manage to propagate it, I'll let you know. The Vesalea links I saw showed 2 varieties, one with purple flowers and one with white.

      Delete
  6. How cool that your isopogon not only survives but produces a flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three flowers to be exact! It's not vigorous but the Echium webbii next to it is encroaching on it and it might be happier in another spot. I'm going to leave the flowers untouched to see if they develop the yellow color they're known for as they age.

      Delete
  7. On my goodness! Your garden is amazing with blooms! It is hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to choose, the Ceanothus arboreus and Euphorbia rigida are gorgeous, as is everything else! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. It took a long time for that Ceanothus to reach its tree-like height so I'm pretty pumped about it too.

      Delete
  8. Seeing all that gorgeous color in your garden does my heart good as I look out on my white world and dream of the spring to come. I'm glad you got out to enjoy that Ceanothus while it was in its blooming full glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad that I took so long to check on that Ceanothus, Jean. My garden's not that big!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.