Monday, February 6, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Foxgloves

I cut my first foxglove of the season for In a Vase on Monday in early January.  At that time, there were two more plants that also had flower spikes.  They developed somewhat after that but, as our temperatures dropped, it was as if they'd entered a long period of stasis.  I eyed them week after week, waiting for them to beef up - and for other flower spikes to appear.  This week I finally got fed up and decided to go ahead and cut both.  One is peach and the other is purple so they went into separate arrangements.

 

Vase #1:

The peach foxglove has looked like it does here for weeks

The back view shows off the interesting peach flowers of Grevillea 'Poorinda Leane' to greater advantage

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach', Grevillea 'Poorinda Leane', Leucadendron salignum 'Safari Sunset', L. 'Winter Red'. Nandina domestica, and Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum'

 

Vase #2:

Foxglove flowers generally open gradually from the bottom of the flower spike.  The bottom half of this one remained bare of flowers for weeks until flowers appeared midway up the flower spike and moved on upward.

The back view looks much like the front with only slight differences in the color of the Dianthus flowers tucked in at the base of the vase

The top view shows off the wiry stems and small round flowers of Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy'

Clockwise from the upper left: 2 variations of Dianthus barbatus, Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmation Purple', Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', and Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata'.  Included, but not shown in closeup, are stems of Coleonema album (aka white breath of heaven).


After two warm days late last week, we were cold again (by our definition, that means daytime temperatures in the low 50sF/11-13C) on Sunday.  We're expecting a gradual warm-up over the next several days, after which we'll cool down again.  There's a small chance of rain next week.  Overall, February, historically our wettest month, is expected to be drier than average but then again, everyone was surprised by the series of rainstorms we had in January so I'm taking no bets.  Our chimney has yet to get a real test of my husband's latest patches as the last rainstorms we've had were very light so even he'd like to see a good, solid storm before our rainy season comes to an end in early April.


For more IAVOM posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.

Last week's vase containing the large Aeonium arboreum flowers and tall stems of Leucadendron 'Chief' looks largely the same as it did last week, except that the Acacia 'Cousin Itt' foliage has dried (while retaining its deep green color).  This week's new arrangements ousted those I had in the front entry and kitchen island.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. I ordered 'apricot' foxglove seeds after seeing your peachy ones before, althugh I have to say that seeing your purple ones with the gorgeous gomphrena makes your second vase a real winner for me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peach and purple foxgloves are both favorites of mine, although I can usually find more companions for the former than the latter. As to the Gomphrena, it adds life to any arrangement.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful peach foxglove and the Grevillea 'Poorinda Leane' is very cool! Love the pink/purples in #2, 'Itsy-Bitsy' is such a great little filler. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very fond of that Grevillea myself, Eliza. The plant is covered with tiny buds that take their time about blooming, opening only a few at once.

      Delete
  3. The purple-y one is Particulary Pretty! 😊👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Foxgloves and it is wonderful to see them in winter. Are yours usually later than this? Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always expect the foxglove flowers to be early but I checked my records and found that most don't really get going until March, Amelia. I do have at least one example of blooms in December, though.

      Delete
  5. I only grow the peach foxglove but the gomphrea turn that intense purple foxglove into a winning display. I love how their floating stems lighten everything up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Gomphrena is a particularly lively plant, Linda. It adds a sense of movement and life to any floral arrangement.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear Pipig is doing better (from your last post).
      Love how the muted colours of your apricot foxglove and grass seeds compliment your special new vase. That gomprena is a really cool addition - as you mentioned above - it brings wonderful movement to your arrangement.
      I’m a bit swamped with preparing our house (and garden!) for the new person due late March, but have still been making lots of flower arrangements and photographing them. I will attempt a mega IAVOM post in the coming weeks as I miss being a part of it 🙂

      Delete
    3. Late March! I'm not surprised that you're busy, Horticat. I hope you're feeling well and enjoying a peaceful interlude prior to the new arrival's appearance. I look forward to seeing some of those flower arrangements.

      Delete
  6. The peachy foxglove is so pretty with the other shades of apricot and coral, but the purple one wins for me! It's the colour we see most if there are wild ones growing, and epitomises what a foxglove should be for me. They flower in May here, so we have a long wait - lovely to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Itsy Bitsy' always seems to win over commentators, Cathy. I should use it more often, especially as it's once again working hard to take over its corner of the garden ;)

      Delete
  7. It seems I usually find Vase 1 my favourite, it is now Vase No 2. What a lovely combination of purples with that delightful foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small and very purple arrangement seems to be the clear winner this week, Noelle!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, foxgloves, you lucky ducky! Beautiful Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prompted by Amelia's question, I checked my records and, despite my memories to the contrary, even the pampered foxgloves in my cutting garden don't commonly show up until March. So these are early!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. The peach-colored Foxgloves look amazing with the Leucadendrons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach is such a great color. It goes with almost everything!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.