Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Checking off small projects when time is limited

Between rain and vet visits, I haven't had much time to work in the garden in the past week.  I got started on the to-do list stemming from last Friday's post on Saturday but I haven't finished anything worth sharing.  I managed to fertilize our four citrus trees on Monday despite the rain and, after squeezing in an hour cleaning up the area inside and around my lath house yesterday, I had just enough time to replant a succulent container on our side patio.

It was looking shabby and the metal wok I'd used as a container was decaying rapidly

The wok's handles fell off 2 months ago and the pot itself was literally falling apart

The base was made of stronger stuff and is in fine shape, if a little rusty.  I inherited it and a prior metal pot from my mother-in-law almost 10 years ago.  When her metal pot decayed, I replaced it with a large wok.

This clay pot was in my lath house.  It contained a begonia that had died back, probably due to the colder-than-usual temperatures we've had this winter.  I potted up a piece of the begonia in the hope that I can bring it back to life but appropriated the pot because it fit the metal stand perfectly.

I planted it with 3 clumps of Graptopetalum pachyphyllum from the wok.  I added several succulents I had on hand in tiny 2-inch pots (selected for another project I never got around to) and added a few cuttings from my garden.  It could use more rock to fill in among the succulents but I'll take care of that another day.

Clockwise from the upper left are: noID Echeveria, Graptopetalum pachyphyllum, G. paraguayense, Graptosedum 'California Sunset', Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', and Sedum 'Little Missy'

 

For a project that took little more  than half an hour, it was satisfying to get it done after ignoring the decaying pot for well over two months.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, and how fortunate to have the perfect pot on hand. Isn't it funny how much more satisfying those little niggling projects can be after we let them marinate a good while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm afraid I let some projects "marinate" much longer than I'd planned.

      Delete
  2. What a delightful project! All those lovely succulents, none of which are zone appropriate for me, are now a bit elevated, easier to inspect and enjoy.
    chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that raised planter and, for sentimental reasons, I'll have a pot in it as long as the plant stand's legs hold up. It's perfect for small succulents too.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love your new containers! Way to go, up-cycling the old wok. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after 2 rounds with metal containers, I finally learned that they aren't especially long-lasting ;)

      Delete
  4. All refreshed and ready to grow.

    I struggle to do the simplest things. Anything accomplished is a victory over despair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the impacts of climate change, the horrors of gun violence, and stories of man's sheer inhumanity to man, it can be hard to put one foot in front of another, HB. The garden is a distraction. I find focusing on what's in front of me that I can influence in a positive way and offering basic kindness and support where I can is the best way to dig myself out of the mire.

      Delete
  5. Never occurred to me to plant a wok. One is sitting in the basement right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last wok lasted 2-3 years but my climate may well be gentler on the metal than yours, Linda. It's attractive as a short-term feature but doesn't hold up as well as terracotta here.

      Delete
  6. Is Pippig well? The container looks great. Big shallow bowls like that are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipig's doing much better. We saw her vet this week, who debunked some of the more frightening theories floated by the urgent care vets the week before last. As I sit here, I'm still waiting for the results of her latest tests...

      Delete
  7. Very artfully done! I need to re-work some of my succulent pots. They stay inside year-round now, because the critters were digging around in them outside. Your stand would be helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Critters do complicate things, don't they?! The raccoons are making regular rounds here again :(

      Delete
  8. Well done, Kris! That clay pot looks like it was made for the stand. It is nice to have small, niggly chores done and dusted! :) Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I guess the trick is to break the big projects into more manageable small ones ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.