One of the principal casualties of our recent water pipe replacement was the bromeliad-succulent bed that borders our northwest property line. Originally created in November 2017 and refreshed two years later, I was forced to dig up all the plants and remove all the rock and flagstones surrounding the bed prior to the arrival of the plumbers tasked with replacing the pipe a couple of feet beneath it. As the plumbing service fit us in when another of its projects was delayed, I had very little time to take care of that activity so I wasn't as careful as I might have been.
I took my time putting things back together.
|As I tossed some plants in the rush to prepare the area for the plumbing work, I ordered a few replacements by mail. They're smaller than they may appear in this photo - all but one were in 2-inch pots.|
|I also bought a flat of Ruschia lineolata 'Nana' (aka dwarf carpet of stars) to fill in around the flagstones. The dwarf mondo grass I originally used for that purpose never filled in well.|
|Most of the succulents I had along the fence at the entry to the area were lost in the process of the plumbing project. I filled in with my go-to Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' cuttings.|
|The last section includes several Haworthia retusa, Aeonium 'Lily Pad', Crassula orbicularis var rosularis as well as some of my tiny new succulents, notably 3 Echeveria 'Melaco' and an Echeveria 'Chroma'|
|The 2 houseplants I had in this basket perished due to inattention. Pipig decided to take it over.|
All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party