Friday, October 28, 2022

Wide Shots - October 2022

In the midst of our plumbing and irrigation system woes, I lost track of my quarterly wide shots post.  When I remembered it, everything was still topsy-turvy so I let it slide until some degree of order had been restored.  I made my rounds of the garden this week in between projects and took photos so here we go, starting as usual in the back garden. 

View from the back door, looking roughly southeast toward the entrance to the Port of Los Angeles (which you could see if Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' wasn't in the way)

View from the back patio looking north.  The Aeoniums in the foreground are emerging from dormancy following the touch of rain we've had since the start of the 2023 "water year" on October 1st.  We've had one-quarter of an inch of precipitation, which actually isn't bad for October; however, predictions for the winter rainy season aren't positive as we experience our third La Niña year in a row.

View from the north end of the back garden looking south.  I recently cut the Melianthus major that sits below the strawberry tree (Arbutus 'Marina) down to the ground.  The succulent bed in the foreground is finally fleshing out some as the raccoons move on to tearing apart other areas in their relentless pursuit of grubs.

View from the back patio looking further south.  The bush violets (Barleria obtusa) are the chief source of floral color at the moment.

View from the south end of the back garden looking north.  You may note that I'm still on the fence about removing the dwarf Jacaranda 'Bonsai Blue' tree (left).

 

Pivoting a quarter turn to the left (west) brings us to the south side garden.

South side garden looking west.  While prompting weeds that are difficult to pull between the succulents, the rain cleaned away the dust on the agaves, making them shine.

There's still no sign of a bloom stalk from my largest Agave 'Blue Glow' despite the flattening of its leaves and the pups sprouting from the side of the plant (not that I'm in any hurry to see it flower!)

View from the small south side patio looking south.  I still miss the native Toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia) that blocked the view of the neighbor's house in the distance but, as it died of the pathogen that causes sudden oak death, it's not advisable to plant another there.  The small Olearia albida I planted 2 years ago to replace it died this summer despite receiving extra water.

View from the west end of the area looking east.  The mass of Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' on the left is in serious need of pruning.



After a glance downward to the lower level of the front garden, we'll continue on the main level of the front garden.

This is a view of the lower level of the front garden surrounding the lath (shade) house, taken from the garden's main level

View from the south end of the front garden looking north.  Those Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' are even more massive than they appear here even though I cut them back regularly to clear the flagstone path.

View of the area beneath the Magnolia grandiflora taken from near our front door.  I had dahlias in the 2 barrels in the foreground but pulled them this week because the raccoons kept digging there (and because the dahlia foliage was covered in mildew).

View from the driveway looking toward the front door.  The Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' shrubs on either side of the path need pruning.  Last year I waited too long to prune them and lost most of their summer flowers as a result.

Right (south) side of the bed facing the street.  The bush violet here is just beginning to bloom.  I recently cut back the Leucadendron 'Goldstrike' on the right that towered feet above the Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' and I'm hoping I didn't harm it in the process.

View of the succulent bed that runs along the narrow path leading to the lath house.  It's bordered on the right by the Xylosma congestum hedge adjacent to the street.

Back in the driveway looking at the bed on the north side of the front door.  My husband finished the enclosure he built to screen the air conditioning unit (although my eye still goes to it).

View from the north side of the house looking southwest

View from our trash can path looking east toward the house.  The beds on the west side of the garage are my biggest headache.  The area is shaded by the ornamental pear tree (left) and the hedge (right).  Roots from both making planting difficult as well.

This is the succulent bed on the other side of the trash can path.  I've put in some larger succulents but it still looks spotty to me.  I'm considering covering the bare soil with either gravel or the groundcover succulent Ruschia lineolata 'Nana'.

This bromeliad-succulent bed sits behind the other succulent bed along our northern property line.  (That's my neighbor's driveway in the background.)  When we had our main water pipeline replaced in late September, I had to dig the area up and then replant it.


Moving beyond the driveway to the north side of the house brings us first to the cutting garden and from there to the dry garden and the back slope.

I've been pulling plants out here and there for more than a month.  I pulled most of the rest you see here after I took this photo.  With just a few exceptions, the rest will go this weekend and I'll start prepping the raised planters for replanting.  I'm planning to lay wire mesh where I can in an effort to keep the raccoons at bay.

The gravel path through the north side garden leads to the concrete block stairway down into the back slope.  The 'Hachiya' persimmons were given away to neighbors and the tree is quickly losing its leaves without showing any fall color.

I've given very little attention to the back slope since the start of the summer season.  As the weather gets cooler and I'm feeling more assured that the fire ants will be less of an issue, I'll tackle the cleanup the area badly needs but there are a lot of other projects ahead of that one.

 

The only area left to show is the street-side succulent bed.

The bed could use a little work but it generally looks okay (at least from a distance)

That's it for my (belated) fourth quarter report on the status of my garden.  Best wishes for a glorious fall to those of you in the Northern Hemisphere and a lovely spring for you in the Southern Hemisphere.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. Your garden doesn't look like it had just gone through a tough summer season, it's so green and lush. I'm always loving your meandering paths, paved or graveled, so perfectly maintained.
    I remember when you pruned Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' last year. It was a big job that I thought would keep them in check for a bit, but in the photo they look huge again. Do they require this treatment annually?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't trim those Leptospermums at all during their first few years (beyond cutting foliage for flower arrangements now and then). At present, they need significant pruning at least annually. They weren't supposed to get more than 8-10 feet tall at maturity but that was clearly an understatement!

      Delete
  2. I like the succulent bed by the trash can path. A gravel mulch would make the plants pop. I noticed the Sticks on Fire is gone from your cutting garden area. It finally got the chop did it? I let my big potted one go too but I did take a number of cuttings. Just not enough sunny indoor space for a big plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Sticks on Fire' I had in a strawberry pot in the cutting garden eventually got out of control. Cutting it back fairly frequently just increased its girth. When we took it out we discovered that it'd broken its pot and was well rooted in the ground. I gave away LOTS of cuttings from it and I still have several plants scattered around my garden, a few already verging on getting out of control themselves. I've seen them elsewhere grown to roof-high height and, attractive as the plants are, I don't want that!

      Delete
  3. These wider shots are so cool! I loved the violet blooms of your barleria and started researching it (love its low-water, mostly rounded shrubby nature), but looks like no one's got it for sale. Also, how hard do you cut back Cousin Itt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cut back any of my 'Cousin Itt' back hard, Nikki. Mainly, I just cut back the branches when they encroach on pathways. However, I have occasionally cut the dead undergrowth and I regularly clear the mats of dead leaves below the plants as I've heard concerns expressed that the dry piles can feed fires.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful views! And your garden is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I'm afraid I tend to see just the warts...

      Delete
    2. You inspire me to get out there and tackle my garden. All warts here ... Love your wide open views!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Diana. But your garden definitely isn't full of warts ;)

      Delete
  5. Despite the masked asshats, leaks and subsequent pipe replacements, drought, and summer in general, your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO tired of the raccoons. They largely ignored us for the past 6 months but they're making up for lost time now. They often trigger the outdoor lights in the middle of the night and I did get up once at 2am last week but they evaded me. Our neighbor across the street claims that the motion-activated sprinklers work for him. I'm tempted but I'd need to set up a lot of them to cover their hunting grounds and they're not cheap.

      Delete
  6. So sorry about all your water/plumbing troubles. As hb said, you're still managing to keep the garden looking fab! A question for you - how come your Magnolia grandiflora isn't constantly dropping leaves? The theory I have for the massive leaf drop of mine is that they are made for hot and humid climates - not the dry conditions that we have. But your tree knocks that theory on its head, as CA is even drier than Oregon... Are you constantly raking up leaves, or what is different? I started giving mine about an hour of watering per week in the summer, and it seems to have helped, but it's STILL dropping leaves. Would love to figure this out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Magnolia was mature when we arrived so I expect it's deeply rooted. Our leaf drop is heaviest during the summer but we lose some leaves even in cooler weather. I usually pick up whatever's fallen by hand when I pass through the garden in the morning to drop what I've cleaned out of my cat's box in the trash so it's not a lot. I'd say that takes less than 5 minutes unless there's been a powerful Santa Ana wind event. As the area under the Magnolia is covered in wood chips, I never bother with raking and the leaves are so widely dispersed, raking isn't worth the effort anyway. However, my tree generally gets trimmed every year and, if that's not the case for you, could your heavier volume of leaves in the canopy account for the difference?

      Delete
  7. Looking at your lovely photos, you wouldn’t know your garden has endured several years of drought, Kris. It’s looking really wonderful and all the bright greens of the succulents help to make it appear lush. I look forward to reading about what plants you will put in your cutting garden for the cooler season. Here in Australia, the sweet peas have just started blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually about a month late in sowing my sweet pea seeds but, in our winter is warm as the forecasts suggest, maybe the plants will make up for lost time, assuming I can keep them protected from the birds. Although sweet pea seedlings benefit from early pinching, the birds are overly enthusiastic with their approach.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking remarkably full and lush all things considered. I've really enjoyed the wide shots series; so fun to see shrubbery bulking up and ground filling in. Please, what is the lovely greyish groundcover between lavender and bush violet in the front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Dorycnium hirsutum, commonly known as hairy canary clover. As the name suggests, it's a native of the Canary Islands which produces clover-like flowers in late spring. It's a vigorous self-seeder here.

      Delete
  9. I love your wide shots. They give us a very clear idea of how your garden is laid out. Everything is looking good. You really wouldn't notice that you've hard a particularly harsh summer, both in terms of temperatures and water restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks goodness for irrigation (at least when we're allowed to use it)! With California decreasing its share of Colorado River water and further cuts possible if this rain year is as bad as the last two, I fear a future in which irrigation will be reduced to once a week.

      Delete
  10. Looking pretty nice considering the summer you had, Kris! Bet you are looking forward to the cooler weather and the renewal of your garden. Wishing for more rain and fewer raccoons! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Eliza (although I'm not going to lay odds on either prospect).

      Delete
  11. I have raccoons and skunks but they do very little damage. Thankfully they are never around in winter-they seem to go into hibernation. I can't imagine how frustrating your ongoing battles must be .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smell the "calling cards" left by skunks but see them less often; however, they've never presented a problem. In contrast, raccoons are hellions.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.