Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Local oddities

Now that the daytime temperatures have fallen to comfortable levels, I've been spending hours and hours working in my garden every day.  Most of my activities aren't worthy of a blog post but I've come across a few miscellaneous things I found interesting.

While planting a new succulent bed last week, I leaned over the edge bordered by a wood retaining wall built by a prior owner to level the area where it slopes down at a sharp angle.  A very large shelf fungi, over a foot in length, is growing out of the wood.  I'm guessing that it may be the fungus known as "chicken of the woods" (Laetiporus sulphureus) but I'm open to other suggestions.

On a walk through the neighborhood several days later, I happened to notice a very similar fungi growing out of a dead tree on a neighbor's property.  (There's a large Eucalyptus tree growing next to the dead tree.)


The street-side bed containing the shelf fungus growing out of the neighbor's dead tree had a couple of other dead trees I couldn't help wondering about.

Why would someone leave a "stump" like this?  Removing the stump would be difficult but, if you're going to cut down the tree, why not cut the stump to one level as close to the ground as possible?  I can't imagine anyone could expect it to sprout from this base.  Could someone have contemplated using it as a plant stand?

Now this remnant of a dead tree (or maybe a vigorous vine), mere feet away from the other dead tree, has a sculptural quality about it.  It might work for displaying epiphytes.

On the other hand, the same area contained a live pine tree that I've fallen in love with.

I'm not usually drawn to pine trees but this small blue one grabbed my attention.  It's really as blue as it looks in this photo and it's only 2 feet tall at best.  I assume it's an infant but I'm not able to identify it so I've no idea how big it might grow.  My phone identified it as either Festuca glauca (!) or Pinus monophylla but the latter prospect doesn't account for its distinctive color.  A brief online search turned up Pinus peuce 'Pacific Blue' but, if it's that, it's well outside its suitable climate zone.  Any guesses?

 

While passing through a narrow path back in my own garden, I was startled to see something else.

Aloe labworana is flaunting both nice red foliage and its first flowers, which are a startling bright yellow

The Aloe is getting more sun because it seems the variegated Echium candicans 'Star of Madeira' is dying back faster than I'd realized.  I thought it might have another year of flowers in it but several large stems had lost all their foliage in the past month or so, possibly due to our worsening drought.  (I cut away the bulk of the dead branches before taking this photo.)

 

No garden is ever static, or lacking in surprises.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Your id on the mushroom looks right; if so, yum! Wish we had more artists like Marc Nucera working in the landscape trade. There are so many good environmental reasons to leave tree stumps but as you point out, they don't always have great sculptural value without help. (https://www.retourdevoyage.com/en/104-marc-nucera)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen recipes for using chicken in the woods but, unless the mushroom's identity is certified by a fungi expert, I won't try cooking with it, or have any chance of convincing my husband to try it ;) Thanks for the link to Nucera's work, which is interesting. Too bad there aren't more artists looking at gardens for inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Cool fungi. I love the sculptural quality of the Echium. It has a very Dr. Seuss-ish look. At first I thought it was a bunch of Tillandsia xerographica's dangling off a branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've followed the suggestion of tip pruning the Echium for years but it eventually becomes more wood than foliage, Elaine. I knew it wasn't going to last much longer when I trimmed it when it finished flowering in spring. I put aside one of the branches I just cut, thinking maybe I could decorate it for Halloween but I'm not sure I'll get around to it. Sadly, 'Star of Madeira' doesn't seem to self-seed the way the non-variegated variety does.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm wondering if my Aloe labworana is blooming too -- I'll be following the progress of yours! I remember mushrooms like that from the stump of eucalyptus we inherited that blew over in windstorms. Always such a surprise to come across them. Walking in the garden, with a mental inventory for every plant, and then you come across something like that -- mind blowing. I'm wondering if that pine was topped to get such lush growth like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a pine like that could be controlled by pruning to stay that small (or even 2-3 times its current height and width), I'd find a spot in my garden for it somewhere. It'll be interesting to watch how it develops over time. The fact that it appears to be thriving in a bed where even cacti are struggling is a testimonial in itself.

      Delete
  4. Lovely aloe bloom! I do love a good walkabout with neighborhood photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it weird that, "flower floozy" that I am, I actually like that aloe a lot better without the flower? The immediate neighborhood doesn't change all that much but, since I began doing 2 rounds almost every day, I've begun noticing more of the details.

      Delete
  5. The more I learn about fungi, the more impressed I am with their talents and usefulness. "Mycelium" is my new favorite word.
    Those are sad stumps and a missed opportunity! If those were mine I wouldn't be able to resist planting them up, creating a home for other plants to grow on, in, or around...
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mycelium is a very melodious word, Chavli! I'm perplexed by those stumps. Granted, the first one would be a bear to cut level with the ground but a decent chainsaw could presumably do the job so cutting it back in a stepped fashion like that seems intentional. By comparison, the second tree/vine stump would be relatively easy to cut so it seems there must have been thought given to keeping it too.

      Delete
  6. That's a neat photo, the last one with the labworana and the Echium. Is that your Magnolia behind? It looks drought stressed, poor thing.

    The big stump looks like a Euc. It would be interesting to know the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the Echium's on its last legs, I think the Magnolia is doing okay. It was pruned within an inch of its life a couple of years ago but I skipped pruning it the following year and last year it got only a light trim. It flowered heavily this year despite the 2-week prohibition on outdoor watering. It normally drops a lot of leaves and cones at this time of year.

      Delete
  7. Pinus parviflora 'Blue Angel'? It's a beauty whatever it is. Kinda cringe though--too hot for it in SoCal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a very good guess, HB! Monrovia says we're too hot but Sunset claims the species is suitable to our Sunset zone 24, albeit recommending that it does best in Seattle and NorCal. Sunset also says it works as a container and bonsai plant (not that I've got the patience for bonsai). Both Monrovia and Sunset say it wants regular water but I don't see any obvious sign that the tree in the neighbor's garden is getting that.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful plants and landscapes! I'm glad your weather is more comfortable now. With the exception of a few days at the beginning of the month, we're having a warm autumn...and I'm OK with that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Los Angeles Times has the situation right, it's looking like our fall season will be normal-ish but winter, traditionally our rainy season, may be excessively warm and dry (again). Some of my friends are hoping we get one or more atmospheric river events but that's a wish and a dream at this point (and it poses its own risks).

      Delete
  9. The CA sulfur shelf aka chicken of the woods has been broken off into it's own species https://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Laetiporus_gilbertsonii.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no reliable answers as to either fungus or conifer, unfortunately. Just a comment about something I've noticed. The increasing heat, and worsening drought is making it much harder to establish new trees and shrubs after taking out older ones. Maybe the earlier-than-expected dieback of your Echium has similar reasons? It's just getting harder and harder to keep plants alive.
    Also, about the stump - maybe they intentionally left it as a snag for insects to harbor in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted that Echium in December 2014 so it's close to 8 years old, which I don't think is bad for the variegated species. Its non-variegated cousin self seeds but this variety hasn't demonstrated any willingness to do that. Echiums do get very woody over time and I suspect I've pruned this one harder than the tip pruning generally recommended so, while I'm sad to see it go, I'm not surprised.

      As to the stumps, your assessment of the neighbor's handling of those trees is much more generous than my own ;)

      Delete
  11. The conifer is most likely the juvenile foliage of either Pinus pinea, P. canariensis, or P. halepensis (or a close relative). Looks incredibly vividly blue-silver though, maybe canariensis more than anything. I love a good puzzle and this is such an interesting thing to learn about, only ever have seen the mature trees along streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the possible plant IDs, Keoni. I'm sorry I somehow missed your comments until now.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.