Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Should it stay or should it go? (round 2)

The dwarf Jacaranda 'Bonsai Blue' I raised questions about two weeks ago is still in place but, absent a remarkable change in its appearance it isn't reasonable to expect, it'll probably go as soon as I find the right plant to replace it.  That sorted, as I scrutinized the area surrounding it, questions came to mind concerning two other plants.

After digging out the rampant native aster in the bed adjoining the backyard fountain last fall, I didn't have a full complement of plants in mind to fill the space.  I was open to trying new plants and happened upon one unfamiliar prospect at my local garden center.  It wasn't labeled and no one there was able to identify it for me but, intrigued by the flowers and foliage, I brought three plants home with me.

I planted the three plants in a triangle to play off the foliage color of the 2 Cistus 'Little Miss Sunshine' nearby


Based on its the mystery plants' growth habit, I was a little concerned about them from the start.  I posted a photo of it on Instagram asking if I'd just purchased weeds.  One commentator identified the genus for me as Grindelia but I wasn't able to identify the species until a couple months later when the garden center got new stock of the same plant, this time with labels.  When I confirmed the plant's identity as Grindelia camporum, a native California herb, I removed two of the plants leaving just one in place.  Now, seven months after the one remaining specimen was planted, I still have questions about its placement there.

One source claimed that this plant grows 18-24 inches tall, whereas another said it may grow 2-6 feet tall and 3 feet wide.  Of even greater concern was the floppy habit it demonstrated early on.  It entangles itself in neighboring plants.  I also learned that it's semi-deciduous in summer.

While I planned to use a mix of blue, white and yellow plants in this bed, I also think I've gone overboard with yellow.  I'm feeling the need to eliminate some of the yellow, preferably in favor of adding more blue.

 

Given it's floppy habit and my concerns with the excess of yellow in this bed, I'm inclined to move it to the back of a bed elsewhere in my garden or even to the back slope.  As summer isn't a great time to move plants, I may hold off on taking this action until fall, although, if I find a suitable replacement for its spot, I might pot it up until conditions are more conducive to planting it out in the garden.

The second plant that brought me up short is a Yucca 'Blue Boy'.  I have five of these plants but the one that concerns me most is the largest one directly adjacent to the back patio.  Its foliage was badly scarred last year by an unidentified pest that left it encrusted with what appears to be dried honeydew.  I treated it but it's still not looking particularly good.

I don't have record of exactly when I planted it but I think this photo taken in March 2019 was early on

This is what the foliage looked like in June 2021.  Two other specimens were affected as well but not as badly.

This is the plant after I treated it for unknown insect pests and cut off the most damaged foliage

This is what it looks like on its east-facing side.  It's a little wonky but doesn't look too bad from this angle.

On the patio side, it doesn't look as good

Closer inspection shows more evidence that the insect pests are back at work

'Blue Boy' is the only one of my Yuccas that has experienced this particular problem.  I don't know if it's related to this cultivar or if it has something to go with its placement in this area.  Three of the other four plants, all located nearly, look fine, although one that I also treated last year shows signs of the same crusty honeydew

These two Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' have never presented a problem.  The one on the left, tucked into the cavity of a tree stump, never gets watered and, in the past, raccoons have used that cavity as their on-site toilet but it's still held up better than 'Blue Boy'.

In this case, I'm inclined to cut the large Yucca 'Blue Boy' down level with the ground to see if it will regenerate from its base as Yucca 'Bright Star' has done.  I'll try treating the smaller affected Yucca with alcohol, followed by a weekly regime of insecticidal soap to see if that takes care of whatever pests (aphids, mealy bugs, or soft scale) are causing disfiguration of the foliage.

Any other suggestions?


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



16 comments:

  1. Yuccas are so hard to get rid of, I'd give it the 'Bright Star' treatment and see what happens.

    Lots and lots of yellow in the garden here too, unintentionally--but happy, healthy, low-water-need plants--it's hard to give them up.

    I saw that dwarf Jacaranda for sale at Green Thumb a few days ago. It looked like last year's stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed that yet another of the Yucca 'Blue Boy' has the same crusty honeydew but I guess whatever the pest is (soft scale possibly as I've been unable to eyeball it) is just moving along from plant to plant. I'm wondering if I should try planting them elsewhere, perhaps in a less dry setting with a bit of shade. I do love the plant but this is getting tiresome.

      Delete
  2. At first, I thought your Grindelia might have been a super sweet little Hypericum I snagged from Joy Creek, called H. ellipticum. But alas, it's not. About your Blue Boy, I bought one early this spring. I found a pot that had two yuccas in in it, and immediately took it home and divided it. Turns out I actually got three out of the single pot, so I was very pleased with myself. Soon after, we had that freak late spring snow, and my three little yuccas got quite blemished from the shock. They are still alive, but don't look so good. Last laugh on me, I suppose. I have no idea what happened to make yours look so afflicted. I hope cutting it back will regenerate new, fresh foliage for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that your windfall buy became a victim of snowfall, Anna! As HB says, the plants are actually hard to kill (not that HB or I have much experience with snow) so I hope yours come back. I think mine will come back from the base but, if it's going to be bothered by some annoying sucking insect when it does, I may want a different plant in that location :(

      Delete
  3. Usually when something is repeatedly attacked the plant is unhappy so moving it elsewhere might be a good idea. My theory is if it doesn't thrive on tough love it goes. Hard to do but so many other cool plants to replace with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a hard time letting go of plants I like even when they prove troublesome as that Yucca has, Elaine. My garden as a whole is dry and the soil is sandy but I think the conditions are extreme in that area, despite my attempts to improve the soil. I'm currently leaning toward cutting the largest plant to the ground, tossing the 2 smaller plants showing signs of insect damage, and moving the other 2 to a spot that might be more hospitable. Thanks for weighing in.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the pest control, fingers crossed! And looking forward to seeing how the Blue Boy will respond to being cut back. I much prefer it at its short stage before they start to lean and creep out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that 'Blue Boy' looks best in its younger years. I was almost surprised when I looked back at its early photos.

      Delete
  5. As you said in one of your replies, it's can get tiresome, especially if one has a large garden, (which you do), and many more plants that need your care. I can't tell you to replace the yucca because I myself struggle when I have to toss a plant. What I find helpful is if I have a replacement plant in mind. It takes the edge off a difficult loss.
    chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on point there, Chavli! I've started wondering how Mangaves would look in that spot ;)

      Delete
  6. I can agree with Mark and Gaz on the Blue Boy. Mine is in a pot , no pest issues buy the color is not what it was a few years ago. I can see chuckng it and starting over with a fresh plant -Annies always has them in 4"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to have Annie's fairly close, Kathy. Unfortunately, Annie's doesn't offer 'Blue Boy' all that often by mail order and I've never seen it stocked in the local garden centers that stock Annie's plants. However, that's where I got my original plant. Another came from Denise (AGO) and others are offsets of my largest plant.

      Delete
  7. I give my gumweeds a Chelsea chop when they are about a foot tall, so they are shorter and more compact later in the year. I keep wanting to catch them at the right time and put those flimsy tomato cages over them to keep them more upright as well, they are bushy enough to cover up the cages. I missed the time to do it this spring, they bushed out too fast for me to get the cages in place. As to the yucca, if you cut them to the ground, they will sprout several new arms which are shorter and will stand up better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the "Chelsea chop" and the tomato cage are good ideas for managing the Grindelia. I still think mine's probably in the wrong spot and will probably move it but I'll follow that recommendation in the future ;) My Yucca 'Bright Star' responded well to being cut to the ground (although I only got one new plant!) and I'm planning to do that with the large 'Blue Boy' as well.

      Delete
  8. Grindelia camporum has really interesting, almost thistle-like buds. Pity about the floppy habit, but cool to have something that even the garden centre staff couldn't ID. I second chopping the yucca and then moving it to another spot to recover. I like your Mangave replacement idea - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've discovered that many on staff at our local garden centers are less knowledgeable about the plants they sell than one would hope but perhaps it's unfair to assume acquaintance with everything they have in stock. My new iPhone, acquired earlier this year when my Gen 3 phone was summarily retired by my service provider, now has a function that will identify plants from a photo. It's not full-proof by any means but I just tried it on the Grindelia and it got the genus right, although it suggested a different species (which was actually the one I guessed once the genus was identified for me by a commentator on Instagram). Sometimes technology is useful!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.