Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Back patio refresh

During the height of the pandemic, we hosted several informal lunch get-togethers on our back patio.  At mid-day, it's generally a very sunny spot and, to provide our guests relief from the sun's heat and glare, we hauled out a large umbrella.  As the wind picks up in the afternoon more often than not, keeping the umbrella in place was a challenge that required adding concrete blocks to its base to prevent it from flying away.  My husband decided it might be easier to attach a retractable screen to the roof.  It turned out to be quite a construction project but he got it up and working last week.

The photo on the left shows the screen fully retracted and the photo on the right shows it as it's unfolding.  My husband made sure that the screen didn't block the view from the kitchen window or interfere with the tree-sized Leucadendron 'Pisa' adjacent to the patio.

I took the opportunity to clean all the patio furniture and cushions.  I also replaced the old outdoor rug, which had deteriorated badly over the past year.

Photo of the patio taken in late afternoon with the screen fully extended


Our back patio is on the east side of the house so, by late afternoon when this photo was taken, sun exposure isn't much of an issue

 

Here's a closer look at the new rug:

The rug remains in place all year with just an occasional wash.  The last one held up for 5 years so I expect at least as much from this one.

 I replanted the circle pot on the dining table as it was looking pretty sad.

I used 3 small rosettes of Aeonium arboreum 'Velour' and several cuttings of Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi'.  They should do for a year or more (provided I remember to water the pot every once in a while).

These pots could use some attention too but I'll get to them eventually

 

Virtually the only time I sit down in my garden is when we have visitors but I did plunk myself down a couple of times as I was cleaning up the patio.

The marine layer never fully cleared yesterday so the view of the Los Angeles harbor in the distance looks fuzzy

The plants surrounding the patio have gotten denser in recent years so they hide some of the view too.  Odd how that happens!

View looking south when sitting on the bench

I could use some new pillows for the bench but that's probably the extent of any further fluffing for this this year.  How about you?  Have you made any changes to your outside areas to make them more welcoming for you and your visitors?


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



16 comments:

  1. That's a really nice shade cover. As usual, your husband did a great job. Love the striped fabric, very coastal California and it coordinates nicely with the rug.

    I came up with a plan to recast the patio table which always has plants on it as a potting table, and get a new patio table we might actually eat at sometimes if I can keep it plant-free. It and its chairs are not being comfortable is part of the problem The table rescued off the side of the road for free and used as a potting table (when it isn't full of empty nursery pots) is just about to fall apart. Cushion covers on the patio chairs need washing.

    Dusty cushions are not welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an excellent plan, HB! Our patio "coffee table" in front of the bench was also supposed to be temporary but somehow has never gotten an upgrade. Having dinner in the peace of the garden (instead of in front of the TV watching the evening news as we commonly do) sounds lovely too - I don't know why my husband and I never use our outdoor seating to lead us into a calming evening. I just spent a few minutes railing at a certain Texas Senator on the TV, which is definitely not good for one's mental health.

      Delete
  2. I had pergolas built in 2020 to help provide shade-the back of my house faces west. The plan was to plant annual vines to create more shade and let sun in when winter comes. I've had limited success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful plan, Kathy! Perhaps it's time to change out some of the vines that aren't supporting the vision.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I wish... I've been so busy I haven't even had time to BE in the garden - no less accomplish anything. Just this past weekend I started dealing with the snow damage from winter. Plus it's been so wet and cold that my furniture is still under cover. Feels like the heat is arriving now though. The retractable shade screen is great! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some of summer's warmth and sunshine soon, Anna!

      Delete
  4. Rarely sitting in one’s own garden seems a commonly held trait amongst many gardeners ;) Perhaps your lovely new sunshade and refreshed outdoor seating can entice you to put your feet up a little more and enjoy looking at the fruits of all your hard work Kris!

    It’s getting too cold to sit outside here now, but I’d love to mosaic an outdoor table top one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mosaic table would be fun, Horticat. Maybe that's something to work on when winter arrives and forces you to spend more time inside ;)

      Delete
  5. Shade in summer is essential and a refresh is always welcome. Looks spiffy, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping this summer's heat won't be too awful but that's impossible to predict. So far, our May gray skies have spilled over into June gloom but the morning marine layer seems to be thinning...

      Delete
  6. That is quite the feat of engineering! Love what you've done with the circle pot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our patio had a solid roof, but we discovered a chilly breeze sweeps down that side. Added glazed sides but left the front open. Works well and makes a happy place to sit (meanwhile chairs need varnishing, cushions need replacing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the unavoidable problem with outdoor furnishings - they always need maintenance.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.