Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Bloom Day - June 2022

We're at the juncture between spring and summer.  It's arguable that summer is already well underway in my location, even if our morning marine layer (popularly known as "June gloom") has kept the afternoon temperatures along the Southern California coast within reasonably comfortable bounds, at least thus far.  We recently had a couple of days when temperatures reached the mid 80sF (29C) but we haven't been hit with the 100+F (37-38C) temperatures experienced by our inland valleys.  In fact, on Monday, our marine layer delivered a tenth of an inch of precipitation!  My 50-gallon rainwater tank, empty on Sunday, was full once again on Monday.  I can't say with any certainty what my 160- and 265-gallon tanks accumulated but both collected at least a little to help me water the plants that are struggling the most with our ongoing drought, classified as "severe" in my area.

I'm going to start this Bloom Day post with some of plants that surprised me for one reason or another this month.

The epiphytic orchid cactus Epiphyllum 'King Midas' bloomed for the first time last week after 4 years in my lath house.  I took at least 2 dozen photos of it, beginning the night it opened.

I first saw Pelargonium schizopetalum in an Instagram post a year ago and ordered 3 plants by mail.  A plant with very similar foliage bloomed a few weeks ago and I was afraid I'd been sent the wrong species but it was apparently a hitchhiker.  The true P. schizopetalum made its appearance last weekend.

The earlier blooms of Echinopsis oxygona opened between Bloom Day posts but this month it was right on time for a closeup

These pink and white lilies appeared in a pot of gift lilies labeled Lilium 'Royal Sunset', an orange-flowered Asiatic lily.   Unlike 'Royal Sunset' both were heavily scented but I have no ID for either.

This isn't the best photo but the sight of this Hippeastrum 'Luna' bloom stopped me in my tracks.  I planted these bulbs in one of my backyard borders after they'd finished blooming in pots back in March.  More blooms, even on a very short stalk like this, weren't expected again this year. 

I hadn't decided whether to cut the artichokes (Cynara) on my back slope to eat or let them bloom in place.  They decided the matter before I did.


Up next are the plants making the biggest splash in the garden this month.  Many of these were already commanding the stage back in May.

Achillea 'Moonshine' is still in full flower but slowly leaning into its decline

The Agapanthus were just getting started last month but they're in full bloom now.  All of those shown here came with the garden, although I've divided some of them since we arrived 10 years ago.

Crassula pubescens has burst into bloom all over my garden

After what seemed like a very long wait, Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum) are blooming in shades of blue, pink and white

Gaura lindheimeri is continuing its run this month

Globularia x indubia (aka globe daisy) continues to delight the bees

I prefer Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' without flowers but there's little hope of keeping those in check at this time of year

The white-flowered vines (Pandorea jasminoides and Trachelospermum jasminoides) covering the arbor over the gate were in bloom last month but they've now been joined by Lavandula angustifolia

Magnolia grandiflorum is blooming heavily this June

The flowers of Oscularia deltoides resemble those of Delosperma but the former is more of a shrub than a groundcover

Salvia clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman' is still dominating my south side garden



Some plants seem to be preparing their exit.

At present I'm having trouble keeping Argyranthemum frutescens 'White Butterfly' tidy even with regular deadheading.  The flowers are still coming but, as temperatures warm, they will slow and eventually stop.

The daylilies have been disappointing this year, probably as they've had to get by on less water than they like.  Clockwise from the upper left are Hemerocallis 'Plum Perfect', anemic 'Indian Giver', 'Russian Rhapsody', 'Spacecoast Behavior Pattern', 'Spanish Harlem', and 'Sammy Russell'.

 
Other flowers are just making their entrance.

Left to right: Daucus carota 'Dara', Monarda 'Peter's Purple', and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'

 

I can't ignore the plants that are mainstays through all or a large part of the year either.

Clockwise from the left: Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', 'Starfire Pink', and 'Honeybells'

A wide variety of the Gazanias the rabbits haven't yet decapitated

Clockwise from the upper left: Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream', G. sericea, and G. 'Superb' shown in closeup and profile

Some of the Leucadendrons have bracts that look like flowers at this time of year.  From left to right: Leucadendron 'Blush', L. 'Summer Red', and L. 'Safari Sunset'.


I'll conclude as I usually do with the best of the rest, organized in collages by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Arbutus 'Marina', Rosa 'Pink Meidiland', Digitalis purpurea, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Oenothera speciosa, Osteospermum '4D Pink', and Cistus 'Sunset'

Top: Felicia aethopica, Limonium perezii, and Rotheca myricoides 'Ugandense'
Middle: Penstemon heterophyllus, P. 'Rock Candy Blue', and Polygala fruticosa
Bottom: Scabiosa columbaria 'Flutter Deep Blue', Thymus serpyllum, and Trichostema 'Midnight Magic'


Clockwise from the upper left: Arthropodium cirratum, Angelonia 'Archangel White', Fuchsia magellanica 'Hawkshead', Nigella papillosa, Orlaya grandiflora, Penstemon 'Onyx & Pearls', mix of Osteospermum, and Salvia 'White Flame'

Clockwise from the upper left: Arctotis 'Large Marge', Argyranthemum frutescens 'Yellow Butterfly', Grindelia camporum, Hymenolepis parviflora, Lantana 'Lucky Yellow', and Tagetes lemmonii

Clockwise from upper left: Aloe 'Crimson Dragon', Gasteria 'Kyaka', Gladiolus 'Guinea', Alstroemeria 'Third Harmonic', Antirrhinum majus 'Chantilly Bronze', Lantana 'Irene', Leonotis leonurus, and Rosa 'Joseph's Coat'

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky', Pelargonium peltatum 'Burgundy', P. sidioides, Gaillardia 'Amazon Sunset', Lobelia laxiflora, noID Coreopsis, and Penstemon mexicalli 'Mini-bells Red'


If you got this far, thanks for putting up with another of my long Bloom Day posts.  These are one of the best tools I have to track what's happening in my garden from one year to another.  For a look at what's happening in other gardens around the country and elsewhere in the world, visit our Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day host, Carol at May Dreams Gardens.
 
 

All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. Love how you have grouped your plants that even their blooms are coordinated, creating swathes of the same shade, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color collages are an easy way of collecting all the tidbits in the garden that don't qualify for closeups ;)

      Delete
  2. Lots of 'wow' factor going on this month, Kris! The first two are outstanding... always a pleasure to see what's in bloom in your garden. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how excited I was by those first 2 flowers on my list, Eliza. I took a ridiculous number of photos of each and had a hard time selecting the best ones.

      Delete
  3. That schizo Pelargonium is trippy-cool! Your Salvia clevelandii looks great.

    Oddly I got a second flower stem from a Hippeastrum as well, but the second one was tall--it was the first one that was the shortie. It was a new bulb and the grower may have really pumped it with nutrients--that's my guess, anyway.

    And now we must struggle through summer and pray the rains don't fail in autumn and in '23...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'Luna' Hippeastrum was new this year too, HB. After a heavy showing of blooms from the potted bulbs, I really didn't expect any more this year. You're probably right and they were especially well-nourished prior to shipping.

      As much as I appreciate the pleasant temperatures we've had this month, I'm apprehensive about what's going to happen when the marine layer deserts us. I haven't even sought out any long-term predictions regarding the next water year, wishing to preserve the hope that it'll be better than this year and the year before as long as I can.

      Delete
  4. You have plenty going on there Kris ! I'm happy for you when it comes to June Gloom. It has yet to show up here and June is trending down. We've had several 90 degree days already but it has been cooling off very well overnight so that helps. And hooray for Pelargonium schizopetalum -mine is just budding up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you for introducing me to Pelargonium schizopetalum, Kathy, and pointing in the direction of your source. I was surprised to find that Robin Parer had the plants in stock the first time I checked her website - and surprised again to have them bloom their first year ;)

      Delete
  5. Your garden is certainly floriferous at this time of year Kris! No wonder you are never short on cutting materials for IAVOM posts! Despite your lack of rain, your garden is looking beautiful.

    Pelargonium schizopetalum is new to me - love the acid green colour and shaggy feathered petals. And 'Kind Midas' was worth the wait - what a stunning bloom.

    Thanks for sharing - it takes such a long time to prepare a post like this. It's really useful to see which plants are blooming at the same time. What program do you use to create your photo collages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently using BeFunky Collage Maker. It provides only limited functionality free of charge but I've make that work thus far. I previously used PicMonkey (until they began charging for all services).

      Delete
  6. Oh, that fabulous Pelargonium... I can totally see falling for that - it's amazing! And the Epiphyllum as well. Such a gorgeous color! I love the longshots with the drifts of flowering goodness. Your garden is just spectacular, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. The marine layer has really helped out here thus far. I'm actually very nervous about what summer will do to my garden once we lose the protection of that morning buffer against extreme heat.

      Delete
  7. Wow, am I impressed! So much color and so many different kinds of blooms. I'm so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So. Many. Plants! So glorious to see.

    Pelargonium schizopetalum. Must find. Now.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.