Monday, June 20, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: A little of this and a little of that

My dahlias are coming along with buds on at least four plants thus far but, based on past experience, I suspect I have weeks to wait before I see flowers.  There are buds on three of the lilies that managed to avoid notice by the bunnies, at least one of which may open within the next week.  However, in the meantime, a few recent arrivals I noticed during my June Bloom Day survey provided guidance for this week's scavenger hunt.  

The color scheme for the first arrangement was set when I cut five stems of Daucus carota 'Dara'.  I didn't sow any wild carrot seeds this year but last year's plants freely seeded themselves about.

Pretty as they are, the Daucus 'Dara' blooms couldn't carry the arrangement by themselves and the flower-like bracts of Leucadendron 'Blush' ended up front and center with a supporting cast of 3 varieties of Alstroemeria from the 'Inca' series

Back view: The Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' I used as my foliage filler added a smattering of white blooms, the first this season from the 2 tree-sized shrubs in my front garden

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: mix of Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky', 'Inca Husky', and 'Inca Vienna'; Daucus carota 'Dara'; Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'; and Leucadendron salignum 'Blush'

 The second arrangement was inspired by Monarda 'Peter's Purple', which returned for its third year.  I've never had luck with any other Monarda species.  This natural hybrid of M. fistulosa and M. bartlettii has earned a permanent place in my garden.

The flowering purple foxglove stems were already past their prime but I'm hoping to get at least several days from them before they completely fall apart

Back view, dressed up with a few stems of Salvia canariensis, now consisting mostly of bracts

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea, Eustoma grandiflorum (aka Lisianthus), Grevillea sericea, the unusual flowers of Melaleuca thymifolia, Monarda 'Peter's Purple', and Salvia canariensis var candidissima

 

I cut a few flowers that didn't make it into either of the above arrangements that I trimmed to fit a tiny vase.

The Penstemon mexicalli 'Red Mini-bells' flowers were too short and the Pelargonium sidioides flowers too skimpy to show up in either of the larger vases.  Other leftovers include a burgundy flower of Pelargonium peltatum and tiny stems of the Grevillea and the Monarda.

For more IAVOM creations, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


26 comments:

  1. Beautiful arrangements! I never stop admiring Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' and Leucadendron salignum 'Blush'. Not only are they work horses as far as vases go, but they need very little help to have a fantastic presence.
    Since you mentioned foxglove lasts a while in a vase and mine finally started to bloom, I think I'll drop a stem or two in a vase and bring it inside.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the foxgloves, Chavli. Are you familiar with Erin Benzakein, the founder of Floret Farm? For maximum vase life, my recollection is that she recommends cutting flowers like foxgloves and snapdragons that bloom from the bottom up when only the bottom third to half of the stalk has opened. I mentioned that the foxgloves I used this week were past their prime because they were already dropping their lower flowers and had bloomed almost all the way to the top already.

      Delete
    2. That interesting. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. All three are wonderful Kris. Love the Leucadendron and how pretty is that burgundy Pelargonium. Great color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very fond of that burgundy ivy geranium, Susie. I have several plants in different areas of the garden. If only the stems were more pliable ;)

      Delete
  3. The first vase has such an intriguing and unusual colour focus, Kris, but I especially like the shade of purple and greens in the second vase - and your cute teeny vase of leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to find places for the small and wispy flowers like those I used in the tiny vase more often :)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! I especially love those purples :) Some of my dahlias are flowering already but others have a while to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started my dahlia tubers early this year but I don't seem to be getting flowers much earlier than I did in the last 2 years. In general, our spring was relatively cool and the cool soil may be the problem. The heat seems to be on now though!

      Delete
  5. I love the monarda and have never had luck with any. Anywhere. The colors in the first vase are wonderful, especially the Luecodendron and pink combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Peter's Purple' is the only Monarda I've ever been able to grow, Amelia - and I've tried a few others. It's a hybrid that includes a variety with Mexican roots, which may have made the difference for me.

      Delete
  6. I'm fascinated by the salvia canariensis var candidissima Kris. Is it a perennial with you? It looks so intricate and almost other worldly. My dahlias are in bud too - I wonder which one of us will get there first 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dahlia race is on, Anna! That Salvia is indeed a perennial shrub here. I cut it back to about a foot in height in late winter and it bounces back without a problem.

      Delete
  7. Your bouquets are beautiful Kris ! .. I am a sucker for the Daucus Dara .. anything that looks like Queen Anne's Lace is a favorite of mine .. plus the alstroemira and foxglove .. I may as well say they all look amazing and unique in your arrangements !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CGJ! The common names for Daucus carota include wild carrot and Queen Anne's lace but I understand that the latter name is used for a lot of plants in the same family.

      Delete
  8. Well done. Grim weather ahead, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops, didn't mean to be anonymous. --hb

      Delete
    2. Ugh, we got up to 94F today :(

      Delete
  9. Beautiful abundance! I really admire your knack for striking color combinations, Kris. Love those hot pinks! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful arrangements, as always, Kris. I'm intrigued by your Mondarda 'Peter's Purple'. I had always assumed it was the sort of plant that would do in the rich, well-watered soil of an English perennial border, but it sounds like 'Peter's Purple' is a toughie.

    Grevillea sericea is so pretty - funny that sometimes it takes seeing an Australian plant in an overseas gardening blog for me to realise these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monarda 'Peter's Purple' was discovered in a Texas garden as a natural hybrid of M. fistulosa and M. barlettii, a species native to Mexico. The only seller I know of, High Country Gardens, describes it as "moderately xeric once established" and I agree.

      Grevillea sericea is relatively demure in the garden, with the flowers best viewed close up, but it works well as an accent/filler in a vase. Its flowers remind me of those on Grevillea 'Pink Midget' but in my experience it's tougher (as well as much taller). I killed 'Pink Midget' twice.

      Delete
  11. Three charming vases with the smallest in a very pretty green vase. Your vases always catch my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colours in your first vase are beautifully combined Kris, and the whole arrangement looks so elegant and sophisticated. I love the second vase for the variety of shapes of the flowers - some quite unusual. And that little geranium flower is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I think the rosebud-like Leucadendron bracts add that stately quality.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.