Friday, January 8, 2021

Winter Foliage Highlights

When I sat down to write this post, I started with a rant about what happened in the US Capitol on Wednesday.  Disillusioned and disgusted as I've been with the current occupant of the White House for a long time, I was nonetheless shocked that a sitting President would actively incite violence as he did on Wednesday.  However, rather than repeating what you can find in news reports, I'll just share a song from John Fogerty.  A friend shared it with me just before the violent attack by terrorists on the US Capitol intent on asserting the President's will over the will of the people.  Fogerty had been distressed that his song, Fortunate Son, had been used on Trump's campaign trail over his personal objections.  This new song, Weeping in the Promised Land, is his own reflection on the damage Trump has wrought during his 4-year tenure.


As to the foliage standouts in my winter garden,  I'll start with the succulents on the south side of our house.  I took the first photos in late December.

There's a problem that stands out to me like a sore thumb here - do you see it?

Some of the leaves of Agave 'Blue Flame' were badly damaged by summer heat

The burned and tattered edges of the 'Blue Flame' Agave had bothered me for some time.  On Wednesday afternoon, needing to engage in physical activity to work out my anger and frustration with the day's events, I took a knife to the damaged leaves of the agave.  Here are the after shots:

I cut out many of the damaged leaves using a serrated knife.  In a few cases, I simply cut away the damaged leaf tips.

They're almost magazine pretty now

However, if you look closely, there's some pitting to the outside leaves, apparently the result of the brief hailstorm we experienced after Christmas.  I'd thought I've avoided any damage from the hail until I noticed this.

While cutting out selected leaves, I also removed seven 'Blue Flame' pups.  Only one of these had any roots hopefully the others can be encouraged to develop some.

In addition to the 'Blue Flame', 'Blue Glow', and mediopicta 'Alba' Agaves shown in the preceding photos, this area is home to several others, most notably the following:

I planted this Agave gypsophila from a 4-inch pot in 2016, not really considering the wisdom of placing it so close to the flagstone path.  I'm thinking about moving it to the recently replanted front slope nearby.

This Agave 'Mr Ripley', also originally planted from a 4-inch pot, was placed in another questionable spot along the dirt path used when trimming the hedge just a few feet away

Agave ovatifolia 'Vanzie' is several feet away from 'Mr Ripley' along the same path.  I think it'll be okay there but the Kniphofia in front of it may have to move.

Prominent as succulents are in my garden, my eye was drawn to other foliage as well.

The peppermint willow (Agonis flexuosa) trees that partially screen the garden from the street do a nice job imitating lace curtains this time of year

Although it's not as flashy as variegated Echium 'Star of Madiera', Echium webii is my favorite in this genus

I cut Melianthus major back to the ground in September, much earlier than usual, and I was worried that maybe I'd killed it but it's sprung back

I like how this Phormium 'Maori Queen'  echoes the color of the neighbors' maple tree leaves across the street, which you see in a peek-a-boo view through the foliage

I'll close with two new succulents I received as recent gifts from friends.

Mangave 'Barney' is on the left and Mangave 'Silver Fox' is on the right.  I'm still debating the placement of both.

Getting back to the subject matter at the top of my post, if you're sickened by the lies that lead to events like that we saw on Wednesday, you might consider signing the Pro-truth Pledge and, better yet, ask the officials who seek your vote to take the pledge too.  You can find more about it here.

May your weekend be calm and peaceful.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. It finally took a riot in the capitol for hardcore apologists to disavow. But enough of that, these are amazing scenes from your garden, Kris! My 'Purple Haze' melianthus dwindles every year -- I may need to bring in the species again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's unbelievable that things had to be taken to this extreme before his sycophants jumped ship - but then this time the stink of being in proximity won't be easy to wash off. So far the species Melianthus seems to handle being ruthlessly cut to the ground year after year.

      Delete
  2. I had not notice the "sore thumb" till you pointed it out... funny what sticks out to the gardener may not be noticed by a visiter. Good luck with transplanting the large specimens on the path, its going to be a dangerous job. The peppermint willows are so bright and charming; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably only transplant the Agave gypsophila. I transplanted an Agave colorata of approximately the same size with even nastier spikes (dug up prior to removal of the mimosa tree) today and I'm pleased to report that I made it through the experience unscathed!

      Delete
  3. My favorite bed in your garden, I did note the brown edges, which improved by your trimming. Hail is so damaging and aggravating, probably more for you as your plants are year round, and mine will go dormant in a few months after a storm. I remember one spring right after my hosta unfurled, we had hail and I had to look at holes in the leaves all summer.
    Poignant Fogerty song and I hope this latest from Drumpf will spur action at long last. That guy has got away with far too much over these 4 years. He needs to step down, then go to trial for treason, IMO. Throw the book at him, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage from the hail didn't show up immediately - or I just didn't check carefully. I'm seeing it on more succulents now. Fortunately, it's not generally evident except during close examination.

      I'd like to see 45 tried for sedition but, with the country as divided as it still is, I'm not sure it wouldn't pour salt into the nation's wounds. I'll settle for impeachment WITH a conviction in the Senate, which would prevent him from running again (even if he tries pardoning himself, which I suspect is likely).

      Delete
  4. Yeah, it's hard for me to find words about the U.S. Capitol events. Re: your Agave collection...wow! Sometimes I think maybe it would be a good idea to move to California. But I truly think I would miss snow if I experienced a winter without it. With that said, living in a place where Echium candicans and E. webbii are perennials would be fabulous. They are such interesting and beautiful plants! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I've talked about leaving California for the PNW but that's not likely to happen either, Beth. We're both native Californians and pulling up stakes is hard. But I noted that Los Angeles was recently rated as the most dangerous place to live in the US due to the range of possible natural disasters we face. That, combined with persistent drought, does make one think about it.

      Delete
  5. I’ve been aghast at Trump’s presence in office for the past 4 years, and while I’m appalled at what’s happened I’m not surprised. There just have to be consequences for his actions. Stated baldly, he belongs in prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During one of his campaign rallies, he mentioned that he might "have to" leave the US if he lost the election, presumably to escape the law suits and heavy business debts that have hounded him for years. Maybe he'll move to Russia. Putin has a way of "taking care" of anyone who irritates him and 45 can't help but irritate almost anyone given sufficient time and exposure.

      Delete
    2. Flight plans for Scotland. Not sure they will welcome him??

      Delete
    3. I hadn't heard about that, Diana, but I see that there are news reports suggesting he might plan to do that dating back to the 5th, before he dug a hole even deeper for himself with other democracies across the world. I understand he's already been warned to stay away as the country is in lockdown.

      Delete
  6. The music brought me to tears but that was good because CNN showed a clip tonight of an officer being crushed in a doorway. Horrific. Any of the spineless people who are trying to curry power, which fortunately is slipping away but not fast enough, should watch that over and over again. I'll have to come back another day to read the post. I'd like to say this is all beyond belief but it's not - the evidence is there for all to see. Guess I did the ranting for you, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still furious - and utterly disgusted - too, Barbara. I can't help wondering how people who so ardently supported the "blue lives matter" campaign can reconcile what happened to Capitol police with any support they continue to harbor for right-wing extremists. Some sources say that members of the mob, encouraged by 45, were prepared to attack Pence too. Twitter and the other major social media sites were late to respond to 45's incitements but I'm glad they finally have.

      Delete
  7. That darn hail! But wow...your after shot (after you removed the crispy leaves) is dreamy.

    As for our government, I am amazed that it finally took this level of threat and violence for many to denounce Trump. How could they be so blind previously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could it be that there are still so many people supporting him? I suspect a lot of those now jumping ship were opportunists who finally realized there's no future hanging with him any longer.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is spectacular Kris. Thanks for sharing the song. I hope for a better future.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.