Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Wednesday Vignette: Moody harbor views

We've been riding a weather roller-coaster of late so I've been taking plenty of wide shot photos of the Los Angeles harbor area visible from our back garden to capture the shifts.  For today's Wednesday Vignette, I'm sharing shots taken over five different days during the latter part of January.

My husband and I trade off on grocery shopping.  I was up well before sunrise on January 11th to get to the market before customer traffic got heavy.  I captured this scene just before sunrise as I headed out the door.

This photo was taken late last Friday afternoon as rain clouds began to move in

This was the scene at sunset Saturday after a day of rain

That same evening, as night fell, clouds were still moving in as shown in this photo pointed in the direction of the mountains to the northeast (barely visible due to the cloud cover).  We received more rain overnight.

Monday, January 25th, we had ferocious wind almost continuously during the day.  At sunset, clouds moved in again, creating this odd ribbon of colors.

On Tuesday, I was once again up early to do the grocery shopping.  I caught this photo just before sunrise.

And, this time, I tarried long enough to actually capture the sun's emergence on the horizon

We're expecting more rain tomorrow night into Friday.  Warnings about possible mudslides are already being sounded.  Hopefully, we'll have none of that here, just lovely rain to fill my remaining collection tank.

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at The Creative Flux.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shots and a nice collection with variation. I think I like the first one best, but they're all winners. I hope no mudslides materialize for you, or anyone really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While not unknown here, the mudslides are most common in areas that have experienced fires, which fortunately doesn't include my community. We're more likely to have trees come down on roads...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunrises. Quite the variation in weather for you in nearly-always-sunny SoCal. Yes, to more rain, and fingers crossed on no mudslides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather's been unusually volatile here recently, Eliza!

      Delete
  3. These are some dramatic skies, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Every time I photograph a sunrise, I tell myself I should try to catch them more often but, when the alarm goes off, I remember why that doesn't happen on a routine basis.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Great vignettes. I love it when people aim at the same scene over time so we can see the changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather tends to be repetitive, Beth, which is one of those good-bad things. However, recently, it's been a little more turbulent than usual.

      Delete
  6. Gosh Kris - that view of yours is just a massive theater - putting on a different show every day. Mesmerizing... I don't think I could get anything done if I lived in your house. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd only take awhile, Anna, and you probably wouldn't take much note of the horizon at all - except perhaps on July 4th and New Year's Eve when you can't help but see (and hear) the firework displays, which can be spectacular. I still haven't learned how to take good firework photos, though.

      Delete
  7. What wonderful skies Kris, with an everchanging view like that life is never boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's generally a more static view, Chloris. Our weather changed things up a bit of late.

      Delete
  8. So happy that you're getting rain! All the ships waiting at the harbor though, such a sad sight. Andrew read recently there is talk of closing completely due to lack of personnel (COVID), wouldn't that be a mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last news I heard, Loree, was a request to expedite vaccinations for dockworkers to help break the roadblock. It's been a mess for quite awhile now.

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful views you have so close at hand Kris. I live surrounded by 70-year old trees, so have no vistas like that to enjoy.
    Glad you are getting rain to make your gardens and flowers happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd be happy surrounded by 70 year old trees, Cindy! My community has a "view conservation" ordinance that people can use to press their neighbors to cut down trees or top and thin them. I bowed to pressure from one such person shortly after we moved in and removed 2 mature trees but, when she pressed me to cut down still more, I rebelled and told her I'd fight her on it with community authorities. Luckily, she moved...

      Delete
  10. Magical to see that ribbon of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember ever seeing anything like that before, Diana - here or anywhere else.

      Delete
  11. Lovely sky shots! The clouds are wonderful in their variations, besides the colors. It's been a good winter for sunrises, hasn't it?

    I too get up to grocery shop at 6 in the morning. Feels safest these days, and the streets are lovely quiet. Can hear the rain coming down now, the sweetest sound! Your tank will surely be filled to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting up early is always a little painful for me, HB, but the sunrises due take away some of the sting ;) There was good rain overnight here and according to Weather Underground more is expected to start at 10:45am. It'll be interesting to see if a prediction that precise holds water (pun intended).

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.