Monday, January 18, 2021

In a Vase on Monday: A few new blooms

I didn't discover many new flowers during my Bloom Day scavenger hunt but, after a few days of unseasonably warm-hot weather, more flowers made an appearance.  Friday's temperature hit 88F (31C) and Saturday and Sunday were only nominally cooler.  The forecast calls for steadily cooler conditions as the week progresses and there's even a chance of rain next week.  While I remain hopeful, I'm not going to get too invested in the possibility of rain yet as that prospect already appears to be drifting away.


The new floral addition, Senna artemisioides, has wispy foliage and small yellow flowers, which are barely visible here

Back view: I tried copying Amelia, The Shrub Queen, this week by curling Phormium leaves (a trick she performed using bromeliad leaves) but they quickly started uncurling themselves.  Next time, I'll try dampening the leaves and leaving them tightly curled at least overnight.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Phormium 'Ed Carman', Senna artemisioides, Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite', and Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset'

The second arrangement has two floral elements that didn't appear in my Bloom Day post.

The new blooms here were provided by Echium handiense and Grevillea sericea.  Both are a couple of weeks ahead of their usual bloom schedules.

Back view: I selected the foliage of Pittosporum 'Silver Magic' as my foliage filler as it has a tinge of pink

Top view

Clockwise from the left: Echium handiense, Grevillea sericea, Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', and Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Magic'

To be truthful, I'm not enamored with either of this week's arrangements but finding new blooms in the garden cheered me up considerably nonetheless.  Fingers are crossed that this week goes well for our nation.

For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. I'm quite taken by the smallish blooms of Echium handiense; at least on my screen they seem rather sky-blue. The with added pink throat inside and white base on the outside, it a visually amazing flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Echium blooms are just as sky blue as your screen indicates!

      Delete
  2. A great choice with quite different look in your two vases. The Echium is stunning and its pink tones brought out with the choice of the Grevillea and Leptospermum, but these two even on their own are choice plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Echium is just getting started so you'll probably see more of it over the next month, Noelle.

      Delete
  3. That pink edge on Silver Magic is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'Silver Magic' but, as it sits along the property line at the bottom of my steep back slope, I seldom think about scooting down there to cut it for arrangements.

      Delete
  4. Two very different looks - the first feels more tropical and the second more of a wildflower/cottage style, reminds me of flowery wallpaper. :) Loving all your different Grevillea – What a great plant with so many different cultivars.
    Hope the winds aren't too bad for you this week. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already received notice that we face the prospect of a power cut-off due to the expected high winds, Eliza. Of course, I've been getting such notices with uncomfortable regularity of late. Luckily, we've yet to actually have a shut-off at our location - it's the foothill areas that tend to get the worst of the wind effects.

      Delete
  5. Nice vases, Kris, even if they are "tamer" than usual. Just zipped back up to take a second look - no, they are not tamer and I think they live up to your usual standards. Keeping my fingers, crossed, too and will we ever be able to breathe normally again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so, Barbara, but even the worst players on the national scene leave a legacy, in this case, one I think the history books will clearly label as destructive. His followers may carry it forward nonetheless.

      Delete
  6. I really like both of this weeks vases. What caught my eye was the curly strappy leaves. How did you do that? It looks like a skill I should try. I like the toad by the second vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrapped the leaves around 2 fingers and then pinned it in place with a paper clip, Lisa. Easy enough, but it definitely could have used more than a few hours tightly coiled.

      Delete
  7. You achieved a nice rhythm with the Phormium leaves. I love that second arrangement. The pitcher has just great color, size and weight for the height of the materials. I'm so looking forward to tomorrow, nervous but hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much the same way, Susie. I'd like to believe that everything starts anew on a positive trajectory tomorrow but, like new year's day, that's unfortunately not the case. At least we'll have qualified people in place to manage things going forward.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the leucadendron/phormium combo! That's gorgeous, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Echium is certainly a handsome flower! Very nice combinations in both vases Kris. The curled leaves are ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Echium is a wonderful plant, especially as it doesn't get nearly as large as many of the other species. I've only found it at my local botanic garden (when they still had plant sales). I understand that it's critically endangered in its native habitat but it likes southern California!

      Delete
  10. What pretty results you have produced from minimal material Kris - the soft shades of the second vase work particularly well and, as the other Cathy says, the curled foliage in the first vase looks really effective, like a ribbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Phormium was even more ribbon-like before it decided to start unfurling. It needs more time in that tightly coiled state than the couple of hours I gave it.

      Delete
  11. Both are beautiful. I love the colors of the first vase, and the color of Echium with the soft pinks of Leptospermum and Grevillea is also sweet. I wish you a Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, thank you! When I opened your post and saw the incredible Leucadendron bouquet and those luscious warm colors, I audibly sighed. Just stunning. Both arrangements are beautiful. The figurines accompanying them are cute, too. Very, very nice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very warm (hot really!) here last week, Beth, but it's cooled down down at last, despite our current bout with high winds.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.