Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Wide Shots - January 2020

Up until our home remodel started last June, I'd been publishing wide shots of my garden on a quarterly basis in January, April, July and October.  I skipped the July and October posts entirely in 2019.  However, since the port-a-potty, storage pod and construction equipment are now history, I thought I'd pick up the record again, if only to provide a benchmark against which to judge future changes.

I'll start with the back garden.

This summer, I removed the large Echium webii that sat just to the left of fountain because the plant had lost its shape.  I planted a replacement in September, which is doing well, although I don't know how much I can reasonably expect from it this year.  The gray and green Santolina shrubs I planted in the area in 2015 became woody and failed to respond to pruning this fall so I plan to remove those soon as well.  I haven't identified replacements as yet.

View of the backyard borders looking from the south to the north end.  Aloe ferox x vanbalenii is blooming for the first time!

This is the view from the north end looking back in the other direction.  The Argyranthemum frutescens 'Everest' and pansies in the foreground are providing one of the few spots of floral color in my garden at the moment.


The areas closest to the house suffered the most collateral damage related to the remodel.  In the back, that means the area most closely surrounding the patio.  I haven't gotten round to digging out most of the plants that require replacement yet, partially due to the shortage of plant material in local garden centers.  Last week, I focused mainly on cutting back overgrown shrubs.

I cut back the 3 large Cuphea 'Starfire Pink' shrubs in this area and thinned the Mexican feather grass (Stipa tenuissima),  The upturned flats shown in this photo are protecting bachelor button seeds I sowed to provide a a filler until the Cuphea bulks up again.


Circling the house in a clockwise fashion brings me to the garden on the south side of the house.

The succulent garden on the south side sailed through the remodel without injury

However, the 3 "dwarf" peppermint willows (Acacia flexuosa 'Nana') adjacent to the small patio on this end of the house didn't far nearly as well.  In addition to getting covered in dust and debris, the shrubs were plagued by what I think were thrips, which I treated too late and too lightly.  

I cut back one of the 3 Acacia shrubs a month ago to test its resilience.  New growth appeared almost immediately so I've now given all 3 shrubs a hard pruning and sprayed them with Neem oil.  I'm tempted to fill in the open space I've created here with one of the Leucospermums I have languishing in a pot but laying down a temporary groundcover may make more sense.


Proceeding through the arbor shown in the last photo and going left leads me down the slope overlooking the area containing the lath (shade) house my husband built for me in December 2017.

Not much changed in this area in 2019; however, I'm thinking of pulling out the 'Mutabilis' roses planted on the moderate slope in the foreground to plant another of my pot-bound Leucospermums in their place.  The roses were planted by a prior owner and have never performed well here.

This path leads from the lath house area to the driveway.  It's lined with succulents, Echium, and Leucadendrons on one side and a Xylosma congestum hedge on the other side.


The path shown in the last photo leads up to the front of the house.

The front of the house looks much the same from this angle but the area presents some new challenges.  The new HVAC units on each end of the house (one visible in the background on the left in this photo) need to be screened from view.  In addition, a trench was dug along the house on the left side when a corroded gas line was discovered during construction and much of the area outside the frame on the left requires replanting.

View from the north end of the house looking southwest

View from the path to the front door looking south.  As reports from fire-ravaged areas indicate that wood mulch can spread flames, I'm looking to replace the wood chips in the area surrounding our Magnolia tree with creeping thyme or some living groundcover that can stand up to a moderate amount of foot traffic.

View looking across the front garden from the south end to the north

The area on the other side of the driveway next to the garage

The succulent bed at the end of the path shown in the prior photo


Moving to the other side of the driveway brings me to the cutting garden.

The cutting garden doesn't look like much at the moment but the seeds I sowed there are sprouting, as are the Anemone and Ranunculus bulbs.  The citrus growing along the fence is also ripening.


Beyond the cutting garden is the original dry garden on the north side of the house and the path through that area takes me down to the back slope.

Like the south end of the property, the north end was relatively unscathed by the remodel

Despite my plans, I didn't get much done on the back slope during the remodel.  It was simply too hot to work down there much of the summer.  And the fire ants didn't help me any.

I did sow wildflower and California poppy seeds down at the bottom of the slope.  There are lots of seedlings popping up so I'm hopeful I'll get a decent showing once spring arrives.


I'll end by jumping back to the front of the property, taking in the succulent bed that parallels part of the street on the southwest side.

Two Agaves bloomed in 2019, leaving large holes in the street-side succulent bed I've yet to fill.  (Pardon my neighbor's defrocked Christmas tree on the right - I took this photo prior to trash pick-up.)


That's my baseline for measuring my progress in 2020.  I plan another wide shots post in early April when I hope my garden will be looking more colorful than it is at present.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. Oh your garden is so beautiful, Kris - no matter what direction you show. I just love it! So sorry to hear about the Mutabilis rose and the Santolina not working out. Both of those are wonderful, work horse plants that I rely on a lot, up here. We have so many crossovers that work in both our climates, and I'm sorry those aren't performing for you. But then again, that Echium.... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planted on a moderate slope, I think the 'Mutabilis' haven't gotten the water they need to thrive, at least under my watering regimen. The Santolina simply got too woody, although perhaps I could have avoided that with lighter but more frequent trims. I'm going to miss their rounded clumps.

      Delete
  2. OMG...I had forgotten how big your garden is. WOW. Your garden has so much color compared to my garden now. Of course to you your garden in in that winter slump. I hope you get some help now and then. Gee whiz. Beautiful. Fire Ants are awful. While on vacation I have stepped into a hill of them twice now. I hope that is the last time I see those things. I don't blame you for avoiding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got just over half an acre, which is large by SoCal standards - that was the house's main attraction when we bought the property (in my view at least). Gardeners keep the hedges trimmed - there are so many hedges here (in lieu of fences), I finally accepted that I couldn't handle them on my own. The gardeners also blow leaves and debris to clear paths but that's a mixed blessing as all of that builds up in among the shrubbery and I spend hours at a time cleaning it out at intervals.

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed by 3 things. 1-that you can care for all these gardens, 2-the number of plants you have, and 3-that you know all their botanical names. Absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a running list of what I plant, Cindy, which I have to rely on more often than I'd like as time goes by!

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks great, looks so tidy! I'm still cutting back, lots to go.

    The relatively cold weather the last few weeks has shut down flower production here also--Aloes excepted--but that's okay. We all need a rest now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got quite a bit of cleanup left to do as well and, as I contemplate spots to move the 2 Leucospermum I currently have in large pots, I'm contemplating pulling other plants out (like the Bulbine that's run amok). First up, though, is to plant 2 flats of creeping thyme I scored last week to fill in between stepping stones and spots that were tromped during the last several months.

      Delete
  5. How is Pipig, still recovering nicely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been her sassy self during the last week or so. Diana. She has an appointment with the veterinary oncologist for a consult next week though, which I suspect she's not going to like.

      Delete
  6. Things are looking good at your digs Kris. You'll probably appreciate a couple months of nice weather so you can get on with the re-planting of the remodel damaged areas. Those damn thrips are just hell aren't they ? I had a horrible infestation this summer on multiple plants. My remedy was to get out my pruning saw and cut them down to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thrips on azaleas in my former garden but this is the first time I've encountered them here. I'm blaming the combination of dirt and debris associated with construction and the fact that I'd allowed the foliage to get way too dense. I hope the spray takes care of anything that hard pruning didn't - I'm not sure these shrubs could recover from being cut all the way to the ground.

      Delete
  7. Well, as I scrolled through your wonderful garden, I kept remembering what it looked like when you were getting started. Digging out the grass, putting in small plants with lots of empty spaces for future growth, etc. It has really changed and is looking pretty fabulous in spite of remodeling damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I have to keep reminding myself that gardening is a life-long process and I can't freeze selected plants in time when they reach peak performance.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing your wide-view shots, Kris. It is a good record that I fail to do in my own garden. You really can see progress, esp. as yours grow year-round. Because you don't really have full dormancy, it seems you must do a fair amount of pruning back, whereas fall/winter does that job here. Overall, your garden has nice 'bones' and is always a pleasure to view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent a good part of the day digging stuff up and pruning things back, the idea of winter dormancy and even snow covering everything has a certain appeal at the moment, Eliza!

      Delete
  9. I was shocked to read the lath house has been around since December 2017, seems like just yesterday! I feel so fortunate to have been able to walk around your beautiful garden in person. I have such a different understanding of how it all works together now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I double-checked the date on the lath house before I published this post as it really didn't feel like 2 years ago to me either, Loree!

      Delete
  10. The views are wonderful Kris. I especially love the fountain and meandering paths throughout the garden. Everything looks so well tended and it is evident that you have such a love for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have the fountain operating again, Lee - we'd turned it off during our remodel, not wanting to encourage critters to come close to the house when half of it was open to the elements for a long period. I let the bird feeders sit empty too and I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear the birds singing again in the garden every morning when I step outside.

      Delete
  11. The garden hardly shows the scars.. although it is the photographer’s right to point the camera in whatever direction she chooses and the worst of the collateral damage may be behind you! Great to see your wide shots back again, I’d missed them. What struck me this time is how well you’ve blurred the boundaries with the surrounding landscape, it’s difficult to tell where the garden ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scars show up much more clearly in close-ups, Jessica, but I admit that I take them much more to heart than most visitors.

      Delete
  12. Feels like you can see forever. Lovely tour of such lovely gardens, thanks so much! I love all the different levels.

    Fire ants. Ugh! Those things are on you before you realize it and in droves. Dangerous beasts! Now I have a new kind of ant - leaf cutter ants aka parasol ants. They are hilarious to watch marching along in lines with their pieces of green leaf above their heads, but they can denude a freshly planted bunch of hardy annuals about as fast as I can plant them. NOT hilarious! They denude all the rose bushes every winter, which amazingly doesn't keep them from re-leafing and blooming in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the hard way that fire ants were in SoCal. Leaf-cutter ants! They sound like major pests. I looked them up and found they're native to tropical and subtropical parts of Central and South America but have found their way into the southern parts of the US. I'm hoping LA County is too dry for their tastes. I hope you find a way to manage them in your garden, Sandy.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.