Friday, January 17, 2020

Fabulous Foliage

With flowers taking a backseat even here in sunny California, the foliage in my garden has an opportunity to stand out and demand notice.  Yesterday afternoon I took photos of a variety of plants that caught my attention.

Succulents hold up against all kinds of weather extremes in my climate but, cleaned of accumulated dust and dirt by rain, they really shine during the winter months.

Aeonium 'Mardi Gras'

Agave 'Blue Flame' and Agave americana 'Mediopicta alba' mix it up

My Agave 'Blue Glow' have gained size and presence

Agave vilmoriana and Agave ovatifolia backed up by Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey' and Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'

Agave bracteosa, Agave 'Joe Hoak' and Agave attenuata 'Raea's Gold'

The color of Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks in Fire' is at its most vivid in winter.  This one's been in a strawberry pot for 9 years.

I planted Mangave 'Tooth Fairy' in this metal container (a rusted wok) and filled in with a variety of other succulents while I wait for this slow-growing Mangave to bulk up

The succulents planted atop this stacked rock wall have settled in well


But my garden has more than succulents.  Here are some of my other foliage favorites:

I've featured this mix before but it bears repeating.  This is Centaurea 'Silver Feather' and Pennisetum 'Rubrum'

Echium candicans 'Star of Madiera' is months from blooming but its foliage still makes a splash

Hebe 'Purple Shamrock' has colored up as temperatures dropped

Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty'

Phormium 'Maori Queen' paired with Corokia x virgata 'Sunsplash'

Back-lit Phormium 'Maori Queen'


I'll end my survey with a few relatively new additions to my garden.

This is Cordyline 'Can Can', which spent our remodel with its roots stuck in a pot

This was simply labeled "Earthstar' when I bought it.  I think its Cryptanthus bivattatus.

Pelargonium cordifolium 'Caroline's Citrine' managed fine during the summer and will hopefully cope with winter just as well


We had a little rain overnight.  My rain collection tanks are full once again and the air, at least for the moment, is clear.  I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I hope you are too.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

23 comments:

  1. The agaves are really coming into their own and creating a strong presence. Nice to see all these beautiful leaves in winter when there's no chance of them being upstaged by flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'Blue Glow' are finally catching up with yours, Denise!

      Delete
  2. Those golden pelargoniums leaves look promising.
    With the usual pink flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any flowers on that Pelargonium yet, Diana, but photos posted on-line suggest pink and red flowers. It's not a match I particularly care for so I'll be just as happy if my plant doesn't bloom at all.

      Delete
  3. How fine everything looks after a good drink and rinse. You have many agave species, it's a great collection. 'Blue Flame' is my favorite, I think. You have a good eye for texture, creating a pleasing effect throughout.
    Have a great weekend, Kris! Ours will be at home watching the snowstorm come down and then, of course, clearing the walks and driveway when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brr! I guess you get your outdoor exercise whether you want it or not, Eliza!

      Delete
    2. Normally, I like to head outside for our daily, but I must admit this latest cold spell (single digits and teens) gives me pause. It is a very quick walk!

      Delete
  4. They ALL are looking fabulous, Kris. What a lovely tour - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain cleans up plants better than any hose or irrigation system can, Barbara. If only we got it a little more often...

      Delete
  5. On a search for that Pelargonium. Lovely foliage selection this month!I hope to get out into the garden this weekend-it always seems to be sunny when I am at work and rainy on the weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be getting more rain than we are, Kathy! However, I'm also looking forward to a couple of slightly warmer days this weekend.

      Delete
  6. I like what you did in your rusty wok. I love succulents and your collection absolutely makes me swoon each time you show your clever vignettes. It really makes me itchy for a greenhouse. I will never give up the dream of a greenhouse of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I dream of a greenhouse, Lisa! My shade house helped a bit but the idea of puttering around in a warm greenhouse during our (admittedly brief) chilly period of the year is still compelling.

      Delete
  7. Such pretty foliage! You have such a good eye for texture and color combinations. I've been excited about the rain too, although hoping it will be dry this weekend so I can get some winter pruning done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears you'll get your wish this weekend, Renee. I hope your snow was a brief event.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is absolutely lovely. The first photo of Aeonium 'Mardi gras" is stunning. I love aeoniums but have to appreciate them in pots indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Aeonium has been hard to find even here, Elaine. I was surprised to find it at a local big box store a year or more ago when I was cooling my heels as my husband shopped for something or another.

      Delete
  9. It's wonderful to see plants thriving at this time of the year! It's so wet and windy here at the moment, although some snowdrops are starting to pop through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could use some of the wet stuff here, Nikki, although I'm happy to report that the wind isn't bothering us at the moment.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos Kris, I'm swooning all over again. Oh and that Cryptanthus... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After complaining that Cryptanthus has been almost impossible to find here, they're suddenly popping up now and again, Loree. Not inexpensive, though.

      Delete
  11. With such stunning foliage who needs flowers? Glad to read that your rain collection tanks are full Kris 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the tanks would be topped off yet again last night, Anna, but alas, the latest storm passed us by.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.