Monday, April 18, 2016

In a Vase on Monday: Smashing Pink Blooms

After publishing my April Bloom Day post, I realized that I'd unintentionally omitted a photo of one of my most floriferous plants, the Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl'.  I have two of these shrubs in my dry garden and both are literally blanketed in flowers.

The photo mistakenly dropped from my Bloom Day post


To make up for my omission, I decided to use the Leptospermum as the central feature in this week's vase.  The vase really could have used some white flowers to cut the sugary pink composition but I didn't make that assessment until after the fact, when I had no more time to fuss.

Front view, heavy on pink

Back view

Top view


Here's what I included:

Clockwise from the left: Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', noID Alstroemeria, Argyranthemum frutescens 'Giant Angelic Pink', Centranthus ruber, and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'


Since my original plan was to feature yellow and blue blooms from the back garden, I cut some of those too.  However, white blooms, most notably a new Alstroemeria, ended up serving as the main attractions in the second vase.  The blue and yellow notes function more as accents.

Front view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase includes: Alstroemeria 'Princess Claire', Achillea 'Moonshine', a noID Antirrhinum, cilantro gone to seed (Coriandrum sativum), Cynoglossum amabile, and Lobelia valida 'Delft Blue'


The white, blue and yellow arrangement landed on the dining room table.



The pink arrangement was placed in the front entry.




The latter placement proved to be a mistake.  The Santa Ana winds are blowing hot and fierce. (It reached 91F here yesterday afternoon.)  Early Sunday evening, my husband opened the door to call me in for dinner and whoosh!  The vase went flying.  I should have known better than to have placed it there as I lost another vase to Santa Ana wind gusts several months ago.    Even though the winds are expected to die down today, I decided to place the replacement vase in a relatively safer location, on the bedroom mantle.

My apologies for the quality of this photo - it was taken in the evening under electric light


I say "relatively safer" because my cat likes to stroll the length of the mantle at times.  But like us, Pipig is feeling a bit of ennui at the moment due to the heat so my guess is she won't go to the trouble of jumping up there to mess with the flowers.  I hope so, anyway.



For more vase posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden, our "In a Vase on Monday" host.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

30 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for showing the complete leptospermum shrub, Kris - I had no idea that it would look like that. The first vase may be very pink but it is delightful - so many different shades of pink and the feathery dark pink foliage. The alstroemeria especially looks really pretty. The second vase is a refreshing contrast - the alstromeria and antirrhinum are perfect partners in their creamy white with hint of yellow. It's hard to imagine what your warm wind must be like as we would never get that here - such a shame about your vase :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Santa Ana winds provide a harbinger of summer conditions. I'm not ready!

      Delete
  2. Oh no that is too bad about the vase...but I love pink blooms and the yellow and blue as well (seems to be the color theme today). The white Alstroemeria is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue and yellow combinations have always been among my favorites, Donna.

      Delete
  3. Two sumptuous, lovely vases of flowers here, Kris. Sorry to read about your vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! That vase was just the perfect height too...

      Delete
  4. The leptospermum looks nice outside and indoors as well. You used a nice variety of textures so the monochromatic vase is very successful. I like the blue and yellow combo also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink felt to sugary sweet to me, although the dark Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' foliage helped a bit.

      Delete
  5. Your pink vase may be the first one I don't recognize one plant in! It is beautiful and like Molly Ringwald, Pretty in Pink. In the next I am glad to see you planted some Snaps with your pansies! When I was in college we were taught the blue, yellow ,white color scheme was proper for Southern Summer Gardens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, blue and white are cooling and southern gardens, like western ones, need that as the temperatures soar. Yellow adds energy to the mix (although I've finally decided that my liking for yellow has gone a bit too far...).

      Delete
  6. Even pinkophobes have got to embrace your lovely vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'd claim that pink isn't anywhere near the top of my list of favorite colors but I certainly do have quite a bit of it. I'm not sure how that happened, Ricki.

      Delete
  7. Pipig is darling, and that white Alstroemeria is fantastic... Sorry you lost the vase! I think your all-pink combo is wonderful and has enough deep tones to offset the sugar ;-) as far as I'm concerned...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipig believes she's queen of all she surveys and that the household inhabitants are hers to command. When she doesn't get her way she often goes after plants and vases to signify her annoyance (or my new rug, which has also become a favorite target).

      Delete
  8. lovely arrangements this week Kris . I bought a Lepto 'Helen Strybing' shortly after we moved to Napa (in the 80's) and lost her in the Big Freeze of -well I don't remember the year. Temps got down to single digits . I really should plant another one, since that winter was an aberration , and they are so great as bouquet fillers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need a new Leptospermum, Kathy! I've always loved L. scoparium but it can get very big. My two are still relatively modest in size but I didn't plan their positioning as thoughtfully as I probably should have - some around her grow to tree size..

      Delete
  9. The pink vase is wonderful with the architectural Leptospermum flower sprays, and I like the effect of the dark Leptospermum leaves too. I miss all the So. Cal. flowers, but not the Santa Ana winds, though we had an unseasonably hot day of 86º today and 87º tomorrow so I may not be out in the garden much, and I wonder what is in store for this summer. Sorry to hear of your blown-down vase. I should get some Centranthus ruber here later, it makes such a nice poofy flower in the vase, and the pink Alstroemerias are so wonderfully elegant. The blue and yellow vase is beautiful too, I love that color combination. The Cynoglossum are such a true blue, very pretty, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Centranthus is a weed here, Hannah. I think out the seedlings (with a preference for the white variety) but the plants can be aggressive where they gain a foothold. The blue of that Cynoglossum is almost surreal, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Two pretty vases, and one very cute cat! I hope you all survive this early heat and wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be becoming less tolerant of the hear - but maybe that's just frustration at its early arrival.

      Delete
  11. Bad news about the wind and sad you lost a vase to it! Love the vases are very pretty; I have more pink flowers than I sometimes realise too, you've mixed the shades so I think it works perfectly. We have cold winds forecast for later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your cold winds don't harm any of your pretty spring blooms, Christina!

      Delete
  12. Uh, I like that shrub, wonder if it's hardy enough. Both vases are beautiful but the first is my favourite - can't resist the pink cheerfulness. Hope the weather is not too hard on you. Happy spring days, Kris :) , Annette from Annette's Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leptospermums are native to Australia and New Zealand, Annette, which may say something about their hardiness. One US sources claims they're hardy to minus 6 Celsius (or 20F).

      Delete
  13. Both vases are so creative and colourful, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe it's a character flaw but I love sugary pink! I think it is beautiful, and the blue/yellow also.

    Natasha sleeps like that. Our pets are so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink has its lovers, as well as its haters. In my view, no color is bad. I just think I took pink to an extreme in that vase.

      Pipig gobbled up a lizard that had the temerity to break into the house today. That's usually not amusing as the lizard will often re-emerge in a baser form. I locked her out on her screened in porch to save my carpet.

      Delete
  15. A bit late getting to read posts here this week. I think your vases are GORGEOUS again (!) and I love the pic of Pipig - too hot to play. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got to be tough to be wearing fur in 90F heat!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.