Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My favorite plant this week: Grevillea 'Superb'

There aren't too many plants in bloom in my garden right now.  The one with the most impressive blooms is a relatively new introduction, Grevillea 'Superb.'  I fell in love with it on a nursery tour with a friend in mid-October but I passed it by as I had no idea whatsoever where I could put it.  It likes full sun and limited water.  The best area for it would have been my dry garden but the sunniest areas there were already taken.  Unable to give it up, I ended up moving a few plants in a smallish bed tucked into a corner of the front yard to create room for it.  I picked one up at Roger's Garden on the way to an appointment in early November.  At this time of year its new bed gets somewhat less than the ideal full day's sun but the exposure should be fine during the longer days of spring and summer.  In its current placement, it's backed by 3 Nandina domestica, which unfortunately don't show it up to its maximum advantage but, for now at least, it has to do.


 




It has been in the ground about a month now and seems happy enough so far.  The shrub itself is attractive but the coral pink blooms are magnificent.

The tight bud clusters open slowly

Unfurling from the bottom

Into their full glory



I have 2 other varieties of Grevillea and, although they bloom heavily, the flowers are relatively small.  At maturity, the blooms on G. 'Superb' are about 5 inches long.

Grevillea 'Superb' grows 3-5 feet (1-2 meters) tall and wide.  It hails from eastern Australia and was even featured on a 50 cent Australian stamp in 2003.  In its October 2011 edition, Pacific Horticulture magazine included it as one of the best Grevillea for southern California.  Depending upon what source you refer to, it's described as hardy to 20 or 25F (-4C).  It's drought tolerant and attracts hummingbirds and, reportedly, orioles.

This is my contribution to Loree's favorite plant meme at danger garden.  Please visit her blog to see her favorite this week and link of other gardeners' favorite selections.

10 comments:

  1. I love those large coral pink blooms. I need a Grevillea with larger blooms. I think this one might need to come in for the winter here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably - Loree has one and she's got it tucked into her basement for the winter.

      Delete
  2. Pretty blooms, I need to ask around if they will work in our heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're apparently well suited to SoCal so they can clearly take some heat but maybe not your "death star" variety, Shirley.

      Delete
  3. The foliage and the coral pink blooms, love it! And it certainly does look happy enough in your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Grevillea! I have a similar variety that's got buds all over it but it's crammed into my little glass room for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to learn that it can bloom all year - that's not true of most of my Grevillea.

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful and I'm so glad you found a place for one in your garden. My tiny little plant from the Ruth Bancroft Garden (purchased last summer) is currently trying to get by in the basement. What cruel punishment for a sun lover right? But at least it's warm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it sails through its winter incarceration.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.