Monday, December 16, 2013

Foliage Follow-up - December 2013

My garden isn't blanketed by snow or ice like the those of many garden bloggers right now.  In fact, our daytime temperatures are currently downright balmy.  Today's forecast is a high of 83 degrees.  I'm not sure what the plants feel about a temperature shift from the low 60s to the low 80s in the span of a week but, so far at least, they appear to be taking the change in stride.

Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' basking in the morning sun

Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' flaunting her pretty new leaves

As is Calliandra haematocephala

Despite nighttime temperatures in the 40s, Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Mocha Mint Coleus' still hasn't bit the dust

My new Crassula (maybe C. dubia) has found a home in a pot

Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame', a hybrid of Digitalis and Isoplexis, acquired after a tip from Denise at A Growing Obsession, seems to be settling in

Leucadendron 'Pisa' in a pot for the time being

Lomandra longifolia 'Breeze'

Milium 'Flashlight' valued for its chartreuse color (despite its brown tips)

Moss, which appears all over our property once the rainy season begins, including between driveway paving stones

Moss covering the usually bare dirt path running inside the hedge separating our lot from the street

Phormium tenax 'Yellow Wave' (or 'Apricot Queen' - I've forgotten which is which)

My newest Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' (mint bush), accompanied by asparagus fern

Yucca 'Bright Star' with Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid' in a pot until I find a proper place for it


Those are my foliage highlights for this month.  Please visit Pam at Digging for other foliage stars.  In the spirit of the season, I'll leave you with one more foliage photo.  Even if you're surrounded by snow, I hope you manage to stay cozy and warm.  Enjoy the holidays!





12 comments:

  1. A lovely Christmas image in the last picture Kris - you've a lovely tree.
    At last a plant I know - Phormium Yellow Wave - it doesn't like the cold. It died here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. Too bad about your Phormium - they're such useful foliage plants here. Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you found a place in your post for moss. Tiny plants are often under-appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely enchanted by moss, Esther - and that was true even before I read "The Signature of All Things."

      Delete
  3. I thought about posting our Christmas tree too -- all that fragrant foliage right under our noses! -- but didn't get around to taking a picture. Happy holidays, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a last minute inspiration, Pam. Thanks again for hosting the foliage follow-up and have a very merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Your foliage parade is a delight to see! And that Acacia....very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that I was smitten by that Acacia on 1st sight - hence, the 4 plants and multiple post mentions.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful tree Kris! And thanks for the Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' photo, I still feel guilty about killing mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that it was said to be hardy to 15F when originally introduced but San Marcos downgraded its hardiness to 20-25F. Given my new insight in your winter conditions, I can understand how tenuous its survival could be up there.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful leaves. So many I recognize (I bought that milium this summer too.) Your digiplexis looks really good. I planted mine in a container, because I was afraid what the cold winter clay would do to it. It was a treat to meet you at the flea. You were the only taker for the old Gardens Illustrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you too, Denise! I've enjoyed paging through the magazines even though there's I've not got a chance in hell of growing a lot of the featured plants here (at least not for any reasonable span). Thanks as well for the tip on the Digiplexis - I can only hope it survives longer than the Isoplexis I tried a couple of years ago.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.