Friday, July 19, 2024

Post-Fling Chores

While making lists in preparation for my trip to the Puget Sound to attend the 2024 Garden Fling, I decided I might as well create one to summarize the tasks awaiting me upon my return.  So here are the projects I've got pending:


1. Checking the status of my cutting garden

The raised planters and barrels will be watered thoroughly before I leave but, if temperatures soar, the automatic drip system may not provide sufficient moisture and, as several dahlias finally have buds, I don't want to risk losing them.  My husband has agreed to monitor the situation when I'm gone but checking its status will happen as soon as I get out of the car.


2. Cutting back the shaggy Agapanthus throughout the garden

The Agapanthus flowered nearly in unison this year and they're rapidly becoming a shaggy mess now.  It'll be "off with their heads!" upon my return.


3. Shearing the dried flowers from Helichrysum 'Icicles'

This Helichrysum is looking scruffy and needs a scalping to remove the dried flowers and to reduce its footprint so it doesn't block the flagstone path.  I'd like to replace it elsewhere in the garden but I still haven't seen the plants for sale in my local garden centers.  I took cuttings in spring but they look pitiful. 


4. Thinning the Mexican feather grass (Nassella tenuissima) before it self-seeds everywhere

I thinned all the Mexican feather grass in late spring but they need another good combing


5. Planting new items I was foolish enough to order by mail in July

Annie's Annuals & Perennials had a sale recently and I couldn't help myself.  I managed to pop 3 Eustoma grandiflorum (aka Lisianthus) into a large empty pot where they can probably stay until fall (left).  They're supposed to produce light apricot-colored flowers.  I put my 3 other purchases, an Arctotis 'Ultra Violet', Hardenbergia violacea 'Meema', and Zauschneria cana 'Calistoga Hybrid', in temporary pots until I can clear spaces for them.


6. Laying more mulch to cover bare spots

20 cubic feet of mulch wasn't nearly enough to cover  my bare soil.  I probably need another 20 cubic feet to finish the job properly before summer turns really nasty.


7. Thinning overgrown Aeoniums

I can only walk through the path shown on the left by setting one foot directly in front of the other, like someone taking a DUI test.  The rosettes need to be cut back, or maybe the areas on both sides should be replanted from cuttings - that's TBD.  Other Aeoniums in the lower level of the front garden (right) should be thinned or removed entirely to provide a cleaner profile for the low stacked stone wall. 


8. Uncovering Leonotis leonurus (lion's tail)

This isn't a high priority but the lion's tail could use more sun, which means pruning the massive Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' above it.  I also need to pull more of the Daucus carota plants that are trying to take over the area.


A gardener's job is never done!  Making lists allows me to put aside what needs to be done for a time, while I focus on the Garden Fling.  I'll unroll photos from the Fling at intervals over the coming weeks in between work on my various projects.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party   

20 comments:

  1. I mostly make mental notes, only to promptly forget them upon arriving at the garden, faceing never ending distractions :-D
    On those occasions when it's a physical list, it's highly satisfying to cross things off as they get done. You certainly have your work cut out for you.
    I hope the Helichrysum 'Icicles' cuttings gain momentum. Maybe ready by next spring?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get distracted when it comes to relying on mental lists myself, Chavli. Writing tasks down generally - but not always - keeps me on track. Publishing my plans is more likely to keep me on target but even that isn't a guarantee.

      Delete
  2. There are always tasks awaiting us and taunting us in the garden. Some are fun, and others aren't so bad. ;-) I hope you're having a wonderful time at the Fling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just returned. Fling posts will dribble out, Beth - I haven't even downloaded any of my photos yet and it doesn't help that I'm exhausted.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kris, hope you're having a great time at the garden fling. It's nice to see more of your garden and isn't it looking great! We'll never run out of tasks, that's for sure. I planted a Zauschneria last year but it hasn't flowered yet. Do you have Lobelia laxiflora? It's very beautiful, flowers for months and copes well with drought. Happy summer days 🐝🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have Lobelia laxiflora, Annette. Year ago, soon after we moved in , a neighbor recommended that I remove it as a weed - I'm very glad I ignored her suggestion as it's one of my top hummingbird magnets. Best wishes for a peaceful and pleasant summer to you and your girls!

      Delete
  4. I should have made a list prior, I feel like there is so much to do. Plus boring things like laundry & grocery shopping. It was so great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you too, Tracy!

      Delete
    2. I had to comment again, I just ordered from Annie's Annuals with code: TODAY10OFF -not only is there a discount on the plants, there was no shipping charge! Big deal for Annie's.

      Delete
  5. I's a bit late visiting you, but I see you are off to a Garden Fling, You will have much to do when you return. A garden is like taking care of ones family; it's a steady job for as long as you have it. I bought Swamp Mallow in the middle of July, and just barely had the place prepared before they would have needed a larger pot. Did have to put a shade cloth over them for five days in the high 90's F weather. They're fine now. Look forward to photos of the Fling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a LOT that needs doing, Yvonne. I made my first stabs at it shortly after my return late Monday afternoon and on Tuesday, only to find myself sidelined the next day when I tested positive for COVID yesterday. There are always complications!

      Delete
  6. You are impressively organized, Kris. It is hard to leave our gardens for a few days, knowing the chores just build up until we return. Now you are sick, so sorry to hear that... hope you have a speedy recovery! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. I attempted a few chores yesterday, which may have been a mistake :(

      Delete
  7. I hadn't realized you lost your sweet Pipig until I read your comment to me. I looked back through your posts until I found your homage to her. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. I still feel her absence every day.

      Delete
  8. Oh the garden tasks that await us when we return. Still, it was a fabulous get away! So glad you came to the Fling this year Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I joined the fling crowd, despite the Covid thing. I pushed myself and did some minor work in the garden yesterday despite temperatures in the upper 80s and beyond, which probably wasn't my best idea...

      Delete
  9. This is such a good idea. Now that the Fling is past, did your chore list work? I've just gotten back from my second trip in as many weeks and it finally caught up with me. Although I didn't get covid from the Fling, I definitely got it from my meeting in Memphis, which had well over 1000 people in attendance. Haven't been able to get out to the garden to water for two days since I've been back - just too ill, so I imagine I am going to find quite a few crispy dead plants out there. It's been nothing but heat and two weekends is a long time to be away without watering! Tomorrow morning, somehow, I am going to push out there and get to the most vulnerable plants first. Time to do triage and see what sailed through without batting an eye! So, so, so very good to finally have met you in person. Looking forward to catching up on more of your blog posts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! When you referenced Covid in another comment, I assumed you'd picked it up at the Fling. It seems the disease is lurking in corners all over the place and large gatherings are breeding grounds for it. The Los Angeles Times had a front page article on Covid's spread soon after I returned - one person was quoted saying "everyone has it." I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.