Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Happy hummingbirds

We're lucky to have both resident and migrating hummingbirds here along the Southern California coast.  Their activity is more noticeable and intense during the summer months when the various species compete vigorously for flower nectar.  As they're moving almost constantly, I find them hard to photograph.  While my brother is something of a hummingbird whisperer, I find that the birds disappear as soon as I walk out the door, although they occasionally sweep over my head when chasing one another.  Luckily, they're currently obsessed with a garden bed outside my home office window so I've had opportunities to catch them with my camera from inside the house.

Hummingbirds occasionally rest, if not for long.  I've noted that they like nectar plants that provide nearby sanctuaries, like trees and large shrubs.  This one sought refuge in either the tree-sized Leucadendron 'Pisa'  it's perched on here or the strawberry tree (Arbutus 'Marina') just a few feet away.

My ability to discern one hummingbird species from another is questionable at best but my best guess is that this is a female or immature male Allen's hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin)



Here are some action shots:

The red head on this one led me to conclude that this one is an adult male Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna).  Members of this species are year-round residents along the Pacific coast.

When the wings were in motion, I didn't get clear shots.  This one was inspecting the "flowers" of Leucadendron 'Blush'.

This was a poor shot of the wings but look at those feet!

This shot is clearer and my guess is that this is the Allen's hummingbird again.  Based on the sheer number of shots I took, most of which weren't worth saving, the birds' favorite nectar flower in this bed was the Lobelia laxiflora shown here.

Rear shot of what may be the same bird


The bed visible from my home office isn't the only one that attracts a lot of hummingbird activity but it pulls in visitors on a steady basis.

View of the bed from one angle

This angle gives a better view of the plants providing nectar


They favor certain flowers in this area.

Agapanthus - I saw the birds feeding on these white Agapanthus nearby but I couldn't manage a good shot from inside my office

Arbutus 'Marina' - In addition to seeking shelter within the branches of the strawberry tree, the bird's also sought out the tree's flowers as another source of nectar but they were too well camouflaged to provide me with good photos

Lantana camara - They regularly fed on the bed's Lantana 'Irene'

Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi'  - The flowers are almost gone now but were previously of interest

Lobelia laxiflora  - This was their favorite source of nectar and the basis for numerous battles


Elsewhere in the garden I've observed a particular appreciation for other plants like these:

Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid'  - The flowers were already drying up and losing their peach-pink color when I took this photo in June but, at its floral peak, this shrub was another focus of fierce battles

All Cupheas, including these Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' are hummingbird magnets

Grevillea 'Superb' - With its year-round crop of flowers and Cuphea at its base, this large shrub is a major draw for hummingbirds in my front garden.  The Magnolia tree behind it provides a safe spot to rest between battles too.


Do you have hummingbirds in your garden?  Which plants do they favor?



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. We have lots of them and they bring us so much pleasure. We have the Anna's hummingbird year round. The only other one that I know of that will visit from time to time is the Rufous. I have seen them on just about every plant in the garden, sometimes on things you would not think about, such as Japanese Maples and even arborvitae. I suppose they are after the insects on them. As for flowers, they adore cuphea (especially 'Vermillionaire' which is a must-have purchase every year because of them). Of course they like the fuchsias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, fuchsias. I'm relatively short of those because they need more shade and water than I can generally offer.

      Delete
  2. Do you set out water for the hummingbirds? It seems that whenever I turn on a hose, at least one hummingbird appears out of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a fountain in the back garden, which I've seen them visit on occasion.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I love watching the hummingbirds. We have feeders out, and usually a male will take ownership and try to run the others off. I have a few so it's fun to watch the battle, one invariably comes back for a good drink while the bully is distracted. Lobelia and salvia are the big hits. They are in the pomegranate tree often, but I'm not sure they drink from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always fun to watch, even if hard to catch on camera! I gave up on feeders when the ants discovered them :(

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! You are so blessed to have so many hummingbirds. I have always been fascinated by them and I have only seen one or two here over the years. Thank you for sharing these amazing captures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read even experts have trouble telling Rufous apart from Allen's, and to complicate matters further, there are hybrids out there, too.

    Like the Bumbles, the Hummers here will see me and simply move to the backside of the salvia, cuphea, grevillea, etc where I can't photograph them. It the juveniles just learning to fly that are easiest to photograph, and even then just for a few hours at most--they gain flying control swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled up the bird identification photos for Rufous, Allen's and Anna's on the Cornell Lab site when trying to pinpoint the identify of the bird with the brownish feathers. The Rufous variety definitely migrates through here during the summer months but Cornell's photos (of which there are many!) finally had me settle on Allen's. I make no claims of accuracy, though - my brother has corrected me in the past ;)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this- I keep wanting to put in cuphea for them and then get distracted...The immature ones are so funny checking out all sorts of things that may or may not be flowers. I started growing a pot of the exotic love vine just because they go pretty nuts for it; Russelia, Lepechinia hastata, and this year the Eremophila finally got some action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummingbirds do seem to be willing to try anything! Surprisingly, one hovered outside my office window for a time yesterday, seemingly as interested in me as I was in him (or her).

      Delete
  7. I'm often surprised at the nectar choices the hummers make: white Agapanthus? why not the purple? In my garden, I'd see them visit a white winter Camellia... not a flower I'd associate with hummingbirds, but then again not much else is blooming that time of year.
    An absolute magnet is the towering, crocosmia lucifer. I only leave a few corms of this aggressive variety to have the hummingbird show in summer.
    In winter, I have a feeder on my patio. The best time to take a photo is at dusk, when they get ready for stupor. It's the only time they sit still and even tolerate another hummer at the feeder.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, how I wish I have better luck growing Crocosmia, Chavli. I recently bought a Zauschneria, which I hope will have a similar appeal once I get it planted in the ground and see some blooms. I'll have to look more closely for hummingbird activity at dusk - that's a good tip!

      Delete
  8. You've got enough flowers that I can't imagine you would ever need to put out feeders. We've got Anna's year-round and Rufous in the summer. The latter being extremely feisty little squeaks. My gosh, but aren't they entertaining. Good job on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to put up hummingbird feeders but, after the ants invaded, I decided I'd let the hummers forage on their own, Jerry. I do have a LOT of plants they like!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.