Monday, April 15, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Dashing about between rain showers

A chance of rain was forecast for this past weekend but it was predicted to be light, if it showed up at all.  When rain arrived in the form of intermittent showers on both Saturday and Sunday it was much more than expected.  We received four-fifths of an inch, which was a nice boon.  However, it complicated the process of collecting flowers to fill a vase (or two) on Sunday.  After all, given our patchy relationship with rain in coastal Southern California, I don't have a lot of practice in assessing when the next downpour may occur.  But flowers remain plentiful so at least I didn't have to dash far to collect materials.

I went all-out with pink flowers for the first arrangement.

Alstroemerias and Centranthus ruber show up in earnest in the spring

Back view: I clipped tall stems of the white-flowered Ageratum that mysteriously appeared in my back border.  I've no record nor recollection of planting such an AgeratumAgeratum is also said to prefer moist soil and isn't known for growing over 3 feet tall.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Antirrhinum majus, Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', L. scoparium 'Pink Pearl', noID pink Alstroemeria, noID Ageratum, Centranthus ruber, and Digitalis purpurea


I'm delighted to report that at least some of the Hippeastrums I planted in the ground last year are handling that transition well.  Every one of the Hippeastrum 'Luna' bulbs in one back garden bed has a bloom stalk so I decided to rescue one from the pummeling rain.

Hippeastrum 'Luna' was one of my favorite potted selections last year so I'm especially pleased to see it again 

Back view: When temperatures soared in the low 80sF last week, many of my Dutch Iris blooms began to wither so I decided to take advantage of those that are left while I can.  I'm still waiting on some varieties of those Iris to make their first appearance so I hope their season isn't over yet.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Alstroemeria 'Claire', Felicia aethiopica, Hippeastrum 'Luna', Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty, and Phlomis fruticosa


With two back-to-back years of rainfall well above average (our water year to date total is 19.31 inches!), my garden is especially colorful this year.  My neighborhood is also very colorful, which can be partly attributed to this fellow.

Credit for this photo goes to my neighbor CF. She caught our new resident showing off his fancy tail feathers.  He's clearly not one of the juvenile males who show up for a short period after being kicked out of the family nest.  My new theory is that he and a peahen (that I've yet to see) are minding a nest in one of the nearby pine trees.  Apparently, that's their favorite place to nest in our urban area rife with coyotes.  


For more colorful IAVOM contributions, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


 

Note: My Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post will be published on Wednesday, April 17th.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It feels bizarre we are still getting these little douses of rain mid-April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A UCLA climate scientist recently commented that he thought the showers might continue into May; however, the overall picture suggests it's going to be a very warm summer.

      Delete
  2. I meant to say, that peacock picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor got a great shot of the peacock's tail feathers. So far, all he's shown me is a face-on stare!

      Delete
  3. Holy cow that is a lot of water. We had 3 inches this past weekend. Glad the worst slid south of our area. I adore pink in spring. Your vase is spring perfection. Both actually. I can't imagine a peacock wandering around here. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peacocks were brought here sometime around the 1920s as a gift for a large landowner in the area. They apparently liked our peninsula and there are now lots and lots of them, although we haven't had any actually move in to stay in our immediate area - until now.

      Delete
  4. Friends from Portland were in LA over the weekend and shared rainy photos, strange times! (it was sunny and 70 in Portland) Glad you were still able to fill a couple of vases with your gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain wasn't supposed to amount to anything this past weekend but Mother Nature is full of surprises. We're looking at a return to the 60s and 70s this week but also some morning fog.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you're so fortunate to have Alstroemerias growing in your garden! And the lovely Irises, too. Glad you've had plenty of rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink Alstroemeria was apparently popular with prior owners of our property (or their landscaper) - it pops up everywhere, Beth. Meanwhile, I've added a few more Alstroemeria in other colors.

      Delete
  6. The pink is kind of a pink overdose, which is awesome.

    An especially nice touch that 'Cousin Itt' is in flower. :^)

    We got 0.34", which was awesome. Have a lot of rainwater that needs distribution, but can't walk well enough yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cousin Itt' is having a banner year, HB. I've also got rainwater in trugs (on top of what's in the tanks) - I just couldn't help collecting the extra!

      Delete
  7. Not easy to overshadow a peacock's tail, but you've done it!
    I'm not even a fan of pink, but that vase is spectacularly saturated.
    The blue-purple is excellent with deep-to-pale yellow... Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' is invaluable.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved 'Cousin Itt' even before it flowered for the first time last year (or maybe the year before) but, with the small pale yellow flowers, it's been even more useful in combination with spring blooms.

      Delete
  8. Three lovelies, a stunning peacock and two spectacular vases! I love the abundance of the overflowing pink combo, and as I've probably said before, lemon yellow, white and blue are favorite colors in a vase. Well done. :)
    All that rain, wow, what a year you're having there in SoCal! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still haven't passed the prior water year's total but there's time yet to do that, Eliza. Normally we don't see any rain between mid-April and late October but some climate scientists think it's possible we'll get rain as late as May this year - and then there's always the possibility of a stray monsoonal rainstorm in late summer.

      Delete
  9. Lovely arrangements Kris. That's a whole lot of rain for you. We are still classified as being in serious drought conditions but storms have been moving in and out dumping lots of snow. Trying hard not to complain as every drop counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the best outlook to maintain during a drought, Elaine. I'd hoped that the recent snowfalls were helping you catch up. Maybe the shift to La Nina conditions will help?

      Delete
  10. How exciting to have Peacocks in your garden, but I am not surprised as they love flowers. You are really a wonderful gardener to have so many blooms to add to your vases each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the peacock seems to be sticking close to one particular area of our neighborhood and hasn't visited my garden, Noelle. We can still hear him even in the middle of the night with our windows closed and I see him on my regular walks but at least he's not chewing up my garden ;)

      Delete
  11. Both vases are so lush and vibrant, but if I had to pick just one it would have to be the pink, which is full of my favourite flowers :) . Funnily enough, we also have a local peacock that I see from time-to-time crossing the road in the next village. He's very noisy apparently!! Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peacocks are exceptionally loud and have a raucous cry (unlike the peahens which I've never heard make a peep), Allison. It's apparently peafowl mating season so that may have something to do with the constant cries on the part of the peacock. A visit is okay but I hope he's not here to stay.

      Delete
  12. What a delightful post this is, Kris! The pink vase is definitely my favourite, but the blues and lemons are a close second. I have a few Hippeastrums in my garden that I inherited when we cleaned up my inlaw's garden which are bright red/orange. They seem to like my climate, so I will investigate what other colours are available. I'd love to find a colour similar to yours. But surely Mr. Peacock is the star of your garden this week! My daughter, who has a three-hectare property, is fortunate to have one who visits her garden occasionally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the peacock hasn't actually visited my garden yet as it's apparently got a peahen nesting in the pine trees up the street. We hear him (constantly) and I routinely see him on my walks through the neighborhood but, if they have peafowl chicks, I imagine we'll see a lot more of them in the future!

      Delete
  13. Lovely color combinations. Both vases are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that second vase Kris! Those colours together are just gorgeous. I am looking forward to iris season now. We are having April showers this week too, albeit a lot cooler than yours with sleet and hail mixed in! I just noticed my Centranthus has grown a few inches, but no sign of buds on ours yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We occasionally get hail but never snow or sleet, Cathy. There are some advantages to our climate but, come summer, I expect I'll be envying yours.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.