Monday, April 29, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Opposites

Surprise!  I have two arrangements this week.  (Just kidding - I know regular readers would be more surprised if I had just one, especially during the spring season.)  They could't be more different.  The first is unusual in terms of its color mix.  The second can best be described as frothy.

The first arrangement was inspired by Dutch Iris 'Lion King'.  Although the blue Dutch Irises are almost done blooming, 'Lion King' always seems to lag behind.

It's not easy to find companion plants to enhance the colors of this Iris's petals and I wondered if the choices I made duplicated those I've made in the past.  However, I looked back at the photos of other arrangements using this Iris and was somewhat surprised that, with the exception of the yellow Leucospermum flowers, I haven't used any of the other elements before.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Aristea inaequalis seedpods, Iris hollandica 'Lion King', Leucospermum 'High Gold', Phlomis fruticosa, and Salvia africana-lutea


I didn't have great expectations for the second arrangement but I liked the way it turned out, even though it strikes me as very girly. The inspiration was the Polygala myrtifolia (sweet pea bush) that's growing all over my garden.  Although I've pulled what seems like hundreds of its seedlings this year, it's still abundant.  It makes a decent groundcover so I've left more of it in place than perhaps I should.

The frilly bits are flowering stems of Prostanthera ovalifolia (aka mint bush) and sweet peas.  Sweet pea petals seem to drop within 3-4 days and I have suspicions that the flowers on the mint bush may not last long in a vase either but I'll enjoy it while I can.

Back view: It has a heavenly scent!

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea, Lathyrys odoratus 'April in Paris', a noID purple sweet pea, Nigella papillosa, Polygala myrtifolia, and Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' 


Last week's arrangement featuring peach foxgloves held up well and, as I couldn't bring myself to toss all the contents in my compost bin, I cut it down to a smaller size and gave it a place on the kitchen island.

I've always recognized that Alstroemeria and Leucosperum flowers have long vase lives but I don't recall foxgloves holding up as well


It's looking as though our rainy season is probably over but at least cooler-than-usual temperatures may persist for another month or more.  For more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

30 comments:

  1. The first vase is unique and very dramatic: I love everything about it. From the Lion King bloom (I'm green with envy) to Salvia africana lutea.
    I've had Lathyrys odoratus 'April in Paris' on my wish list for a long time: it's favored for its intense fragrance. From your photo I see it has quite the lovely pale cream color edge with purple. Maybe next year.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Lion King' does have a very unusual color mix! This is the first time I've grown the 'April in Paris' sweet pea, Chavli. It took its sweet time (pun intended) about blooming but its reputation for beautiful scent isn't overstated.

      Delete
  2. Second on that 1st vase; just adore those muddy colors and the Aristea seedpods are brilliant. May have to plant some just for those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep some of the Aristea stems every year to include in dry and wet arrangements. Their height and form are perfect.

      Delete
  3. Those leucosperum blooms are amazing - nothing like that in pur gardens in the UK! I love the colours in your second vase and it's so nice to have such a variety of blooms - hopefully it won't be long before that will be the case here too! Your foxgloves have done so well in that previous vase - that's something to remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leucospermums are quite remarkable plants, Cathy. If you touched the 'High Gold' flowers you might think they were plastic coated but I suppose that's part of why they're so long-lasting. My shrub is absolutely covered in blooms this year. As they decline, I've also discovered that the squirrels like to eat them so the debris is recycled too ;)

      Delete
  4. Love the lion king combo, and what's wrong with girly? My Salvia africana-lutea looked to be working on opening a few blooms (overwintered in a container and protected) but now we've reverted back to cooler wetter weather and it's stalled...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers of Salvia africana-lutea get very wonky as they age, Loree, but I'm guessing you might like them even then ;) The shrub burst with flowers once the temperatures rose here but it blooms for at least 2 months so hopefully you'll see some flowers soon.

      Delete
  5. Neat colors in that iris and they inspired an interesting arrangement.

    Girly is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was dressed too much like my blog's avatar for too long in my youth, resulting in some apprehension about anything too "girly," HB ;)

      Delete
  6. It might say something about me Kris but my heartstrings are pulled by your second arrangement this week 😂 Sp pretty and that vase is the perfect match. I wonder whether we would be able to get the polygala through our winters? It looks most appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, species in the Polygala genus are tough plants, but then you can't call what we get here as real "winters," Anna. We don't get freezes, much less snow. The plants are native to South Africa.

      Delete
  7. Frothy? It looks like you have been enjoying your bountiful flowers. I love the last one this week. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could smell that arrangement, Amelia!

      Delete
  8. Nice combos, Kris. 'Lion King' is a striking iris and you complemented them well with the phlomis, salvia and 'Cousin Itt' foliage.
    I love the frothy and feminine second vase, an explosion of pink... why not? :)
    Enjoy the cooler weather ahead! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. Our temperatures are currently in the sweet spot - not too warm or too cool. If only they could stay that way!

      Delete
  9. Well, the "cut down" arrangement is still lovely, and the colors are fresh and fabulous. I absolutely love the other arrangements, too. Amazing combos and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm lucky to have a lot to work with right now.

      Delete
  10. They are quite different vases. I like them both. But I tend toward the girly one. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. They each have their separate charms.

      Delete
  11. That combination of bronze and yellow is wonderfully dramatic. I never see Salvia africana-lutea here, but I certainly find it intriguing in your vases.
    And I'm working on my powers of imagination to catch a whiff of your second vase. ;-) I love the way the Nigella blooms form a focal point in it.
    Everything is getting drier here, but temps are staying a shade below ninety, so no real complaints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only place I've ever seen Salvia africana-lutea is my local botanic garden, which is where I got my plant years ago (when they still had a volunteer-run propagation team and regular plant sales). It's unusual, even for a Salvia.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous Kris, I quite like the girly one :). Your paired down version in the kitchen held up so well, the white foxglove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foxglove in the paired-down arrangement is actually peach but I've noted that the flowers that open after the stem is cut are far paler in color, Tracy. I guess that's the down side of cutting them before they're fully mature.

      Delete
  13. You have found some lovely companions for the unusual Iris Kris. I especially like the Salvia. The second vase really appeals to me - I do like pink flowers and the Prostanthera does make a frilly frothy effect. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I've become very fond of that second, frilly arrangement - I hope it lasts through the week.

      Delete
  14. Wow, these are both gorgeous Kris! 'Lion King' has interesting coloration and you have put together an elegant design. The frothiness of the second is delightful. Looks like your garden is embracing spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're sprinting toward summer already, Susie. The spring blooms are hustling to get their time on the stage before the season comes to an end :)

      Delete
  15. What gorgeous arrangements! Fun to make and look at too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.