Wednesday, April 24, 2024

My last nursery run this spring?

I visited a local succulent outlet late last week in search of small plants to fill in some of the empty spaces in the bed I've been renovating.  I shopped OC Succulents in Irvine for years but it's an hour-plus drive away; however, the company opened a "smaller" store in Torrance in 2018 only about thirty minutes away.  I hadn't stopped in since 2022 and, on that last visit, I found that their prices had climbed significantly but now that I've adjusted (somewhat) to the higher plant prices everywhere, I thought another stop was in order, especially as they offer a wider selection of succulents than any garden center in my area.

While the focus of my visit was on smaller specimens, that didn't stop me from checking out the inventory of larger plants.

This is a small sample of what was available in 5-gallon pots.
Top row: Aeoniums 'Merlot' and 'Zwartkop' and Agave 'Green Glow'
Middle: Aloe cameronii, Crassula 'Crosby', and Mangave 'Mission to Mars'
Bottom: Mangave 'Snow Leopard', noID Opuntia, and Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata'

A view of the array of cactus and other succulents in 15-gallon pots

15-gallon agaves with huge Euphorbia tirucalli in the distance

Large barrel cactus (Echinocactus grusonii) in numbers you wouldn't find anywhere else nearby

This Aloe 'Medusa' was $150 but, for a focal specimen this size, I think that's a relative deal.  OC Succulents sells plants in large volumes to landscapers and others with business licenses, who receive discounts.


The indoor plant selection, such a contrast to the succulents, always comes as a surprise when I walk into the store's interior area.

Wide shots of the indoor plant selection

Left to right closeups of  Agloanema 'Siam Aurora Red' (aka Chinese evergreen), Microsorum diversifolium (aka kangaroo paw fern), and Zamioculcas zamiifolia (aka ZZ plant).  I couldn't decide if I liked the variegated Chinese evergreen or hated it.


With my mission in mind, I didn't spend much time with the indoor plants, stepping outside into the tented area that houses both larger indoor plants and the smaller succulents.

My focus was on the 4-inch succulents

These 10-inch or larger plants were $20+: Agave parryi, Neoregelia 'Fireball', and Echeveria harmsii


Here's what I took home:

The smaller plants aren't labeled but OCS does now provide a receipt showing plants by their species names; however, the 2 pale blue Echeverias were missed.  My guess is that they're Echeveria 'Cante' (although my camera's app disagrees).  Other purchases include: a ZZ plant, an Aeonium, a Corpuscularia, 2 varieties of Crassula, Echeveria 'Blue Prince', and Graptopetalum.



Will that really be my last trip to a plant nursery or garden center this spring?  Probably not.  In fact, I stopped by my local Armstrong Garden Center earlier this week to pick up some planting mix and pumice to pot up my dahlia tubers as they wait for space to free up in my cutting garden - but that doesn't count, does it?  I routinely admonish myself not to plant anything new - except succulents - after June but I'm not as disciplined as I'd like to be.  Just last night, I submitted a mail order for a succulent variety I couldn't locate locally but then succulents really don't count...


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. I hope it isn't your last nursery/garden center visit this spring. I find those visits satisfying any time of year, even if I'm not inclined to buy anything. Off season sales may be great opportunity to splurge... I forgive myself immediately after purchase :-D
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm also quick to forgive myself when I break one of my self-made "rules" (unless perhaps the plant I bought immediately ups and dies due to heat exposure anyway). Unfortunately, if I enter a nursery/garden center, I rarely leave empty-handed, Chavli.

      Delete
  2. I've noticed that prices always increase every year, usually by a dollar. Some gallon perennials at the nursery where I work are 16.99 this year, an increase of $2. It is pretty ridiculous price to pay for one plant, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant prices here appeared to jumped more than that post-pandemic, Phillip. It was most noticeable in the case of the 4-inch succulents that used to go for $4.95 and now sell for $6.95, a 40% increase. Most 1-gallon containers now inch closer to $20 - I'm surprised when I find one for $16.99. The 5-gallon containers I showed averaged about $35, making them seem almost a bargain by comparison!

      Delete
  3. Prices are up across the board, I need to grow more from seed in the future. Your selection looks nice, it's hard not to buy anything from May-July isn't it? A big fail for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only grow annuals from seed as I lack to patience (and close attention) to see perennials and shrubs through the process, Tracy. If I had a greenhouse that might be different!

      Delete
  4. Had a bit of a chuckle when I read your title 'last shopping trip' as a friend and I just did our first with lots more to come. It's funny how quickly we have gotten used to the price increases. I don't blink at the cost of a pack of annuals now whereas only a few years ago I was shocked. Hence, I have lots of annual and perennial seed on the go now. They do have a great selection of succulents. Can you ever have enought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never have enough plants, succulents or otherwise, Elaine ;) Enjoy your plant shopping - your season operates on a very different schedule than mine.

      Delete
  5. Good shopping! I hope I can somehow get Dahlias in the ground before too long. Hmmm...I could use the shovel as a cane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe potting them up would be easier? I just plopped all those I'd stored from last year and a few new ones I received this year in temporary pots, a week ahead of last year's schedule as it turns out. I didn't plant out the sprouted bulbs until mid-June last year.

      Delete
  6. "succulents really don't count..." ha... that's a nice haul, and I hope this wasn't your last visit to a nursery... June is a long way away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By and large, succulents laugh at our summer temperatures, Loree, although sun scorch can be an issue ;)

      Delete
  7. Funny, I just thought of OC Succulents the other day. I've only been there once, but I'd love to go back.

    Your haul is pretty fantastic! And Echeveria cante seems right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The OC Succulents in Irvine is bigger but the Torrance store isn't exactly small should you find yourself in my area, Gerhard.

      Delete
  8. Based on your review, I went yesterday. Behind this nursery is toro nursery, a wholesale nursery that sells to the public, open 7 days a week, it is the biggest nursery I have ever seen (maybe 1/2 mile long). Some of the plants were in poor condition, so you must be choosy, but the cheapest prices I have seen anywhere. Beautiful 5 gallon tall kangaroo paws were $16.50. 5 gallon fire sticks were $20.00. No Leucadendrons, though. Anyway, certainly worth taking a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information! I knew there was another nursery back there but I wasn't aware it was open to the public. Now I guess I have to pay at least one more nursery a visit this spring ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.