Friday, September 2, 2022

Adding insult to injury

I've complained about our dry conditions often enough that any regular reader probably knows that's a nearly perpetual state here.  I've got a rudimentary gray water system that feeds laundry water into an unirrigated area of our back slope.  I've got drip systems in place in beds along the street, a few other garden beds, and in my cutting garden.  I hand-water numerous areas that aren't reached by our sprinklers.  I collect rainwater to avoid using municipal water whenever possible.  Yet my garden looks ragged, especially after 2 years of low rainfall.  Still, even as local water restrictions tightened, I was glad we were allowed to water twice a week here.  However, on Tuesday we received notice from our water provider that, like Los Angeles' Metropolitan Water District (MWD), we are required to suspend all outdoor watering for 15 days starting September 6th.  Our local provider, Cal Water, said this is necessary as it receives some of its water from MWD and MWD is repairing a critical pipeline.  Why Cal Water didn't notify us a month ago when MWD's own customers were informed I don't know but leaving us just days to prepare is upsetting to say the least.  On top of this, we're currently experiencing our worst heatwave of the summer season.

Oblivious to the looming water ban, I'd recently been exploring new options for reducing our water use.  I decided to try making a few DIY ollas.  An olla is an unglazed clay pot, which when submerged in soil and filled with water gradually provides moisture to surrounding plants as needed without the same loss to evaporation that occurs when plants are watered by hand or automated sprinklers.

The first problem I encountered was that there's a terracotta pot shortage here!  As I wanted pots that came with saucers I could use as lids, the largest pots I could get were 5.5 inches in diameter.  I decided that was okay for a test run.  The first steps were to seal the hole in the pot using molding putty on the bottom and the top.  To create a better seal inside, I added plastic bottle tops pressed into the inside layer of the putty.

These are the 3 ollas in place in a particularly dry area of my back garden where everything dies.  I recently added 3 Teucrium cossonii (syn T. majoricum, aka creeping germander), which needs low to moderate water (depending upon the source you consult).  Unfortunately, the pots are using water faster than I'd expected.

There are many ways to create DIY ollas, which you can find online.  The approach I used is the simplest and, if it doesn't work out, I can remove the putty and use the pots for their customary purpose.  Given that my three pots are emptying in less than 2 days even after I watered the surrounding area, I think I need to try a larger olla created using 2 pots joined at their rims with the help of a silicone sealant, as described in a video by Gardening Australia.   A taller vessel like that will not only water the area more deeply but it may hold water for a longer period - provided I can find more terracotta pots.

I've previously used terracotta spikes inserted in the soil and fed by plastic bottles of water.  They're especially useful with new plants that require more water to get established than the plants surrounding them. 

The spikes are somewhat fragile.  This one has done a great job of keeping this Ceanothus griseus horizonantalis 'Carmel Creeper' alive since I planted it in March - and I've previously killed a variegated sister plant in this same area.
 
I purchased another package of 6 spikes because the online testimonials referenced how well packaged they were.  None were broken upon delivery, whereas 2 of the original set of 4 I purchased several years ago arrived already broken.

I added spikes from the new batch in several locations in a variety of circumstances (some dire).  The bottle-fed terracotta spikes have gone a week on average before going dry.  In contrast, the plastic spikes I've purchased fitted with small holes and also fed using bottles empty within a few hours.

 

Wednesday night, during the height of my angst over the pending outdoor watering ban, I ordered another box of terracotta spikes to add to the raised planters in my cutting garden in a possibly vain effort to save my dahlias.  I'm still dreading what the 15-day break in watering may mean for my garden.  I'm planning to add more bagged mulch and will deep water as many vulnerable plants as I can in advance.  I've already stored some water in my empty rain tanks for use as emergency rations.  If I go silent on my garden blog for awhile, don't be surprised.  It's probably a better thing than subjecting you to a profanity-laden rant. 

How compliant neighbors will be in response to the watering ban will be interesting to see, especially as the ban's impact on Cal Water customers hasn't been communicated well and many aren't following existing restrictions to begin with.  Back in June, I wrote about evidence of neighbors' responses to our severe drought and the introduction of new water restrictions.  At the time I concluded that it was too early to tell much. My current conclusion is that responses very dramatically, although relatively few neighborhood homeowners have taken visible action with respect to their outdoor areas.

Large expanses of well-watered grass remain commonplace

However, one neighbor stopped watering his front lawn and had faux turf installed in its place (at significant cost)

This was another neighbor's newly renovated front garden immediately after it was planted in June

This is the same garden 2 months later, filling in nicely.  The massive drip system under a good layer of shredded mulch is clearly doing its job.  None of my Lantana look that vigorous!

Climate change is real.  With evidence of its impacts rapidly emerging all over the world who knows what kind of challenges the future holds for gardeners.  I'm hoping we can all learn new things to aid us in adapting to the new reality but I admit it scares the heck out of me.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. 15 days with no water! I don't blame you for feeling some panic. I have a couple of areas that I'm exclusively watering with gray water , and I collect a couple gallons a day from my kitchen sink while I'm waiting for the water to get hot to do the dishes. Our restrictions up here pretty much only apply to lawn watering with in-ground sprinklers-so far. I'll be able to back off weekly watering this month as the sun angle lowers and more of my garden transitions to part shade. What happens if people are growing food with this 15 day thing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I ever water trees is the first year I plant them. I haven't watered a tree in decades.

      Delete
    2. I think your average rainfall is much higher than ours, Kathy. Ours used to be estimated at 15 inches a year, almost all of which falls during the winter months. However, in the last 2 "water years" combined we've gotten 12 inches in total. With my soil leaning to the sandy end of the spectrum, even that drains quickly.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. We had no water and high temps for over 2 months this summer. I drip watered every day, 3-8 hrs/day, from June 3rd till last week. I used the last of my rain water, all of my bathtub water, dog bowl water, kitchen and bathroom sink water, etc. I, too, have ollas in use. Most of my plants are drought-tolerant. Some never get a drop of water from me, but even drought-tolerant plants need water once in a while. This is why I made the decision to move 900 miles away. My state is predicted to only get hotter and drier, and I can't do this forever. It was a major decision obviously, and I made it with climate change in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception of the plants in my cutting garden, most of mine are drought tolerant to one degree or another but their limits are likely to be tested with this ban. Although I've amended my soil, it's still very sandy, which means it drains fast to begin with. California is also expected to get hotter and drier with just periodic "atmospheric rivers" (that may cause flooding). I've talked to my husband a lot about moving to an area that gets regular rain but, as life-long Californians, it's hard to pull up our roots :(

      Delete
  3. I love your blog! I feel for you and your garden as you deal with restrictions on watering. I love plants, too. I moved to the Dallas/Ft.Worth area three years ago to be near family, and right from the start I learned that Texas was ambitiously warning residents to conserve water because there is going to be less of it in the future. I was eager to plan my Texas garden and knew that I would need to become familiar with Texas native and adapted plants in order to save water. This summer we had many weeks with temps over 100 degrees and no rain. I began to wonder how long I could afford to water my new plants to keep them alive. When would I have to give up and let them die?

    We finally did get rain and what a relief it was. Like you, I fear what the future holds for gardeners, not just for enjoyment but for life sustainment. We have to eat. The situation is far worse in California than where I am. It is scary, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear from you, Jeanette. I've heard that much of Texas has suffered through a prolonged heat spell. My area fared fairly well with respect to the heat until now and even so this "heat dome" has been more brutal on our inland valleys than it's been here closer to the coast. (We've stayed just under 100F so far.) The biggest issue is that it's not cooling down much at night. I was glad to hear that many areas of Texas got some relief in the form of rain. Unfortunately, rain here is almost exclusively a winter phenomenon and that rain has been trivial the last 2 winters. In the past, the snowpack in the northern part of the state has helped us get through our long dry period but, with less snow and a faster melt, our normal sources of water are at pitifully low levels. As California's Central Valley is the source of a lot of the nation's fruit and produce, the water shortage doesn't bode well for California, or the rest of the country.

      Delete
  4. I think the most effective thing you could do to save your plants would be to add a few more inches of mulch, then water heavily the day before the water cut-off. If your plants are drought tolerant to begin with, they should make it fifteen days with a thick mulch layer, although the leaves will probably look a bit crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water company is actually recommending watering first and then laying mulch but practicality will probably dictate procedure given the late notice we received. I spread a lot of mulch earlier in the year but it does need a refresh. Not realizing I faced a 15-day water ban, I'd planned to bring in a truckload this fall when the heat abated so my timing was off. I picked up 3 bags this afternoon, which won't come close to covering my half-acre, but I'll add it to the areas in greatest need. I'm trying to deep water the trees now (outside the prescribed schedule) and will mulch as I go. According to the water company's schedule, Sunday is the only official day left I'm officially authorized to run the irrigation system before the ban takes effect on Tuesday.

      Delete
  5. I feel for you more than I can say. Water the heck out of your garden ahead of time, then your plants should be fine. What more can you do? Other than be mad at the way officials *always* f*** things up.

    As for making a make-shift olla: You won't believe the coincidence, but my wife made one just last weekend for her fall/winter vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, as a household with an even-numbered address, I'm only authorized to water on Wednesdays and Sundays. As we didn't get the water company's belated notice until Wednesday afternoon, I'm in a pickle in terms of the official schedule but I'm considering everything I'm doing now as "emergency" hand-watering, although sticking to early morning and evening hours to avoid excess evaporation (and heat exhaustion). I've also gone ahead and stored emergency water rations in my previously empty rain tanks.

      When I sow seeds and plant my cool-season cutting garden, I think I'm going to use ollas more liberally there (provided that I can find a better supply of terracotta pots). Seeding around the buried pots seems a good way to start seeds off right.

      Delete
  6. Could you fill one of your rainwater tanks before the 6th and get through it that way? And water heavily before hand, too. You should be able to use your quota for those two weeks.

    The extreme heat doesn't help at all.

    There are brownish lawns here and there in the neighborhood, and a few houses have replaced their real grass with plastic (not the best choice, but...) so some in the area are making an effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a fit of pique, I've already filled both of my smaller rain tanks and most of my largest tank, HB. The water company recommended using warm-up shower water during the period of the ban but that's close to useless when you have half an acre baking under intense temperatures. I've collected shower water for years, which usually goes to flushing toilets but I'll be adding it to the cause as necessary in the garden during the ban. The guidance referenced "hand-watering" but wasn't at all clear as to whether one is supposed to stick to the prescribed twice weekly schedule so I'm interpreting that option more broadly under current circumstances.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, it's real, all right. I've never seen a drought like this in my entire life. Our ground has cracked, like you see out in Arizona when the monsoons dry up river and lake beds. It is worrisome. I keep hoping that we'll catch up in the fall, but who knows?
    I like your terra-cotta spikes, they seem to be working well. I sure hope your garden can hold on during the water ban. I expect Oct. can't come fast enough for you! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant AFTER the monsoons, not 'when' ;)

      Delete
    2. Even though it's usually hot and dry, September is generally the month I start feeling hopeful again about the garden's prospects, Eliza. I think that shift has been delayed at least another month :(

      Delete
  8. I’m sorry Kris, that must be incredibly frustrating and stressful. Especially when you are so water conscious to begin with. Sounds like you have some good ideas to hopefully keep everything going.

    At the nursery where I work, we use a liquid wetting agent on pots when a heatwave is expected- it helps quite a bit. Perhaps your dahlias might benefit from this treatment? In my experience, it’s best to wet the soil first, then apply the diluted wetting agent (if you use it on dry soil, roots can burn).

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Horticat. I use a wetting agent (surfactant) when the soil is so dry that water runs off it rather than soaking in but I've never tried it on potted plants that I can recall. I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  9. What Horticat just above me said; it must be unbelievably frustrating, and like so many commenters mentioned - these droughts are so scary... I keep wondering how long we'll be able to afford almonds, oranges and all the other good things we get from CA. Ollas are a great idea that I think I need to learn more about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably have been frustrated by the ban in any circumstance but finding out we were included with less than a week's notice was infuriating. I knew of MWD's ban but not of my own water district's connection to it and my area wasn't named in the original articles distributed by the public media. As the notice came as a 3-line email message from our water provider, I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the population of our peninsula and a couple of the nearby cities lumped in with us, are completely unaware of the ban to this day.

      Delete
  10. WHAT!? Fifteen days? That's harsh, especially when you're looking at such a hot spell, AND you know that others are wasting water on turf grass. I must say your terra cotta pot ollas are ingenious and the spikes quite smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is officially day one of the ban :( And the heatwave is now expected to last through Friday. Ugh!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.