Monday, September 5, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: Last call for summer flowers?

We were hit with a wicked heatwave last Wednesday and it's not over yet.  On top of that, we received belated notification the same day that our area is subject to a 15-day ban on outdoor watering starting September 6th while the water district that provides water to our local water company repairs a critical pipeline.  I've been scrambling ever since to prepare the garden as best I can to handle the double whammy.  As we were warned that temperatures could reach historic highs on Sunday, I gathered flowers from my garden early Saturday morning.  Whether there will be anything vase-worthy to cut next week or the following week remains to be seen.

The inspiration for my first arrangement was provided by a succulent flower.  

The short-stemmed succulent flower is front and center.  The plant is Crassula falcata, aka airplane plant and propeller plant due to the growth habit of its foliage.

Back view: I cut the succulent's flower, planning to complement it with the always plentiful blooms of Grevillea 'Superb', only to find those flowers were largely spent by the heat.  I cut just 3 stems, feeling somewhat guilty about reducing the hummingbirds' favorite source of nectar.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Leucadendron 'Summer Red', Crassula falcata, Dahlia 'Summer's End', Grevillea 'Superb', and Zinnia elegans 'Queen Orange Lime'

Heat and humidity, courtesy of the monsoonal moisture in the desert areas east of us, brought out the flowers of Leucophyllum laevigatum (aka Chihuahuan sage).  I've had this shrub in my garden since 2012 but it's easily overlooked - except when it suddenly bursts into bloom.  It inspired my second vase.

Because everything was fading fast during the extended heatwave, I cut almost every passable bloom I could find

Back view: The stem of the larger of these 2 dahlia blooms collapsed under its own weight during the hot, dry winds that accompanied the heatwave

Top view: The navy blue flowers of Agapanthus 'Elaine' don't really fit the composition in my view but it seemed better to enjoy them inside than watch them wither outside

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Hopley's Variegated', Agapanthus 'Elaine', Amaryllis belladonna 'Alba', Dahlia 'Lavender Ruffles', blue and white Eustoma grandiflorum (aka Lisianthus), and Leucophyllum laevigatum

Except for its focal flowers, the vase featuring the red and white dahlia last week held up well.  There were two more blooms on what for lack of a positive ID I'm calling Dahlia 'Catching Fire' so I cut those and a few 'Benary's Giant Red' Zinnias to fill in.  The dahlia blooms should do better in a vase than in 100F+ heat.

Large as it is, I decided to leave this arrangement on the kitchen island so I could enjoy it while it lasts


Sunday's heat proved to be as nasty as advertised.  It was already 88F (31C) at 7am when I went back to work in the garden on my preparations for the looming outdoor water ban.  I retreated inside two hours later as the thermometer continued to climb.  Sunday's temperature  in my location peaked at just under 106F (41C) mid-day before slowing cooling falling below 100F (37C) when clouds moved in from the east.  The expected duration of our current heatwave has been extended into Thursday.  Meanwhile the 15-day outdoor watering ban starts tomorrow.

For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

14 comments:

  1. Does the ban include any stored water people might have, Kris? Here, bans would be a more generic 'no hosepipe' ban - surprisingly we seem not to have that in our immediate locality. I am so pleased you were able to rescue these lovely blooms Kris, especially the blues and whoite of your second vase - how you must grieve to see your garden succumbing to extreme heat at times like this... 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our water company didn't suggest storing water in advance but I filled my empty rain tanks anyway as that puts no burden on the pipeline while they're working on repairs. I also did a lot of deep-watering of plants by hand ahead of the ban, hoping that and my emergency water rations will make a difference. Our water bill will undoubtedly reflect a spike in activity in the next bill but the lower usage during the period of the ban should more than offset that. The timing of the ban on top of this prolonged heatwave couldn't be worse, though. My plants are already stressed :(

      Delete
  2. I've heard of your awful heat - so sorry about the water ban, even if temporary. Hopefully your fab bouquets will tide you over and keep you from despair under Mother Nature's rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I don't know a lot about the pipeline repairs that have been cited as the reason for the ban, Anna, it sounds like this was more of an infrastructure issue this time than Mother Nature's doing. Why the repairs were timed to coincide with such a traditionally hot, dry period, I can't say either; however, my guess is that there weren't many gardeners on the planning committee.

      Delete
  3. Oh a watering ban sounds drastic Kris - what exactly does it mean for you? Can you still use watering cans? In view of your high temperatures it was the kindest course of action to save those beautiful blooms and enjoy them under cover from the sun, We have had a drier and hotter summer than usual in this part of the UK but have fortunately had more rain than many others areas so have not been issued with any drought restrictions. Still I've only been watering newly established plants and plants in pots. Thanks for your good wishes - we are recovering well but at the moment neither of us can smell anything 😱 I very much hope that it proves to be a temporary issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they didn't say we couldn't use saved water during the ban, Anna. Perhaps they know that most people here don't save rain water so they didn't bother addressing that angle. The rain water I saved earlier in the year was already long gone but I do have 3 storage tanks and I went ahead and filled them before the ban takes effect so I can provide emergency water rations without using the tap. As I understand it, the ban's purpose is to limit use of water during a major pipeline repair to ensure that household's have what they need and drawing some water in advance won't impact that effort.

      I don't know how long you've been experiencing symptoms but here they're pushing Paxlovid for people who contract the virus despite immunization. However, based on what I've heard, it's not a cure but just a way to lessen symptoms.

      Delete
  4. The vases are all gorgeous despite the weather. Good luck with the watering restrictions. I have been reading about the ongoing water sourcing problems there. A difficult solution to conceive is on the horizon for many. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a nation, we don't seem to be able to plan ahead for contingencies on the horizon. It's hard to believe there are any climate change deniers still out there but I guess there are enough to continue to gum up the works.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully your beautiful flowers will help to cheer you during this double whammy of heat and water ban. I as we are now tied for second longest duration of no rain and August was the hottest month on record I've decided I better break down and do a deep water in the front garden. I didn't set out to test the plants with a tough love summer, it just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flirting with 40 is brutal! We used to struggle to sleep as it didn't cool down overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not cooling down a lot at night here right now either, Diana. Luckily, we have a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

      Delete
  7. Your vases are beautiful again Kris, and you do remarkably well keeping all your lovely flowers hydrated, despite conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. We got a hydration boost last night when the tail end of a tropical storm moved through our area :)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.