Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Wednesday Vignette: Captivated by clouds

A week ago today, the weather was perfect.  The temperature was the very definition of comfortable, not too hot and not too cold - Goldilocks would have approved.  The air was clear (not an especially common occurrence here) and the sky was blue and decorated with puffy white clouds.  I was captivated and felt compelled to take photographs of the sky from my back garden.





Yesterday, you couldn't see the sky for the clouds.  We often get a morning marine layer here this time of year but it normally fades away well before noon.  However, yesterday we spent the entire day wrapped in a cloud.  Neither the sun nor blue sky made an appearance.

Late morning view looking to the northeast

View near noon looking toward the harbor, which was invisible in the mist, and also eerily quiet

The humidity level remained at the low-mid 90% level all day.  This reading was taken at 1:31pm.  (The weather station is still on standard time.)
 
This late afternoon shot from our back door captured some of the city below us, although I still couldn't see the harbor with my naked eye

It felt particularly odd because areas to both the east (in California's inland valleys) and the north (in the Pacific Northwest) were cooking.  Further evidence that Mother Nature can never be accused of being even-handed.  The circumstances led me to think of Joni Mitchell's song 'Both Sides, Now', which is currently playing on repeat in my head.



I hope the situations of those of you who struggled with heat earlier this week have improved and that your weather returns to something resembling normality.  For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


18 comments:

  1. I love fog, or marine layer or cloudy days... it puts me in a very happy mood and great state of mind. And how appropriate to mention Joni Mitchell as her "Blue" album celebrating 50!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that I saw an article on the anniversary of Joni Mitchell's release of 'Blue' may have contributed to the clouds link!

      Delete
  2. Those clouds are fabulous! Back into the 90's for us, hot...but not insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day last week was most notable for the fluffy white clouds against a very blue sky with none of the usual gray tinge of smog. I'm glad the situation in Portland are improving, albeit slowly it seems.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful clouds Kris! 😃 I hope the fog isn't depressing. We get winter fog, which can be rather oppressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday's thick marine layer was unusual only in its persistence, Cathy. It's normally a morning effect in my area, clearing well before noon so there's generally plenty of sun in the afternoon. It's not at all common to have it hang on all day. Today we were closer to the usual pattern - the marine layer cleared by 1pm. Unfortunately, the temperatures also rose but the humidity remained on the high side, also unusual for California where our heat is known for being on the "dry" side.

      Delete
  4. I remember noting those clouds too! I hope this marine layer goes on forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marine layer was thick here again this morning but it started to clear after noon and was essentially gone by 1pm at our elevation. Hopefully, it held on longer in your area, Denise.

      Delete
  5. I grew up, well to the age of 12 on the east coast and loved fog .. I am a cloud watcher too but I am slowly losing my "sky space" between trees reaching maturity etc .. I can barely take moon shots now which really saddens me, I am a moon fanatic. But yes .. the weather/temp cycles now are very scary. I am hoping it isn't too late to turn this around .. human beings can't seem to row in the same direction even if it means life or death on this what was once a beautiful planet. That is one of the saddest things of all.
    You have an amazing view there Kris ! I envy you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the direction of climate change - and our inability to manage the human contribution to it - is truly frightening. Planting more trees is a good idea, although in my area that can cause issues under a stupid local "view conservation" ordinance.

      Delete
  6. I've looked at clouds that way... Nice photos. That is a heavy marine layer. Interesting to those of us here in SW IN where it is hot and humid but no layers. Typical weather for here at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our heat is usually of the "dry" variety, Lisa; however, the monsoonal moisture surging in the desert and mountain areas has pumped it up big time here. Today our temperatures went up when the marine layer moved out but our humidity stayed relatively high (77% at present). If the monsoonal conditions brought rain, I wouldn't mind but it seems unlikely we're going to get a stray summer thunderstorm.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Kris! The cloud photos are gorgeous, and Both Sides Now on the Clouds album is classic. I carefully listened to the song again, and with a different perspective. “…Something's lost, but something's gained in living every day.” A great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great song. That was one of the first record albums I bought as a teenager.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that marine layer really cools things down... 64 sounds like great gardening weather! Of course, the weather changes and lately, extremely. I don't know what to think anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping for a thunderstorm but it appears that's not going to happen. The marine layer cleared out earlier today and the temperature moved into the upper 70s but that's still not bad as we stand on the precipice of July.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It was. The marine layer lifted earlier yesterday (1pm) and earlier still today (before 9am) :(

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.