Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bloom Day - April 2020

Spring is in full force here and at this time of year it seems impossible to cover everything that's in bloom.  I decided to focus on the blue flowers and give shorter shrift to those in other colors.  Still, be forewarned, this is a long post even for me.

Blue blooms are prominent in my garden in spring when the Iris bloom and again in summer when the Agapanthus bloom.   I seem to acquire more blue Iris every year and they're make a particularly big splash this year.

I've added Dutch Iris to the garden in increments over the last 4 years.  The largest number of these surround the fountain in the back garden.

Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty' was blooming last month but the flowers are more prolific now

'Mystic Beauty' made its appearance this month

The Pacific Coast Irises are going strong his month too.  This is Iris douglasiana 'Santa Lucia'.

I have only one Iris douglasiana 'Wilder than Ever' but I wish I had more

The only bearded Irises in my garden that have done well are those I transplanted to our the back slope after moving in.  My guess is that this is dwarf Iris germanica 'Darth Vader'.  It has a lovely fragrance!

Felicia aethiopica 'Tight & Tidy' makes a nice blue clump alongside the Iris

Bulbs of hybrid Anemone 'Mistral Azzurro' were a great investment

The blue Freesias bloomed after most of those in other colors were done

Almost all my lavenders are blooming.  Left to right are: Lavandula 'Goodwin's Creek', L. multifida, and L. stoechas.

Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender) is blooming in several areas

I cut back most of my Osteospermums last month when they bloomed out.  Osteospermum 'Violet Ice' was an exception.

This Plectranthus neochilus lost most of its foliage variegation but it's flowering better than ever.  It's too bad it smells like skunk.


A few newcomers are just getting started.

Ageratum corymbosum with its purple foliage opened its first buds last weekend

Echium candicans 'Star of Madiera' had been blooming for just days but it's already drawing in bees in large numbers

Psorlea pinnata offers blooms that smell like grape Kool Aid


There are a host of other blue blooms that deserve a nod.

1st row: Abelia sp., Ajuga 'Mint Chip', Alyogyne huegelii, and Aristea inequalis
2nd row: Babiana rubrocyanea, Campanula portenschlagiana, noID Ceanothus, and Geranium incanum (a weed)
3rd row: Ipheion uniflorum, Nierembergia caerulea, noID Pericallis, and Salvia 'Mystic Spires'
4th row: Sisyrinchium 'Devon Skies', Trichostema 'Midnight Magic', Veronica 'Waterperry Blue', and noID Viola


Under less congested circumstances, I'd probably include flowers in the lilac-violet range with the blue blooms but this month I've pulled them out as a separate group.

1st row: Geranium 'Tiny Monster' and Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy'
2nd row: Two noID varieties of Lathyrus odoratus and Nemesia '7th Heaven Mix'
3rd row: noID Pericallis, Pelargonium cucculatum 'Flore Plenum', and Polygala myrtifolia


Now on to the pink flowers!

Arctotis 'Opera Pink'

Arctotis 'Pink Sugar'

Lampranthus 'Pink Kaboom'

Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl' has had a smattering of flowers since fall but it's exploded with flowers since the rain returned this month

1st row: noID Alstroemeria, Anemone 'Mistral Rarity', Centranthus ruber, and Cistus 'Grayswood Pink'
2nd row: Cistus 'Sunset', Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold', and Cuphea 'Starfire Pink'
3rd row: Pelargonium 'Pink Blizzard', noID Pelargonium, P. 'Orange Fizz', and Osteospermum 'Berry White'


Next up is the white-flowered group.

Coleonema 'Album' (aka white breath of heaven)

Narcissus 'Geranium', by far the most prolific Narcissus I grow

Zantedeschia aethiopica (aka calla lily) is blooming heavily relative to last year

1st row: Alstroemeria 'Claire', Agrostemma githago 'Ocean Pearls', and Argyranthemum frutescens 'Everest'
2nd row: Centranthus 'Alba', Gazania 'White Flame', and Heuchera maxima
3rd row: Ornithagalum umbellatum, self-seeded Osteospermum, and Trifolium repens


Let's move on to those in the yellow group.  (I feel as though I'm coordinating a parade of marching bands.)

Gazanias are common plants but in spring following a good rain, they put on a spectacular show.  These self-seeded.

My large-flowered Grevilleas bloom year-round but 'Peaches & Cream' is outdoing all the others this month

Leucadendron 'Pisa' produces luminescent bracts that look like flowers

Leucospermum 'Goldie' flowers more heaving with each successive year

Phlomis fruticosa is covered in blooms that would please Dr Seuss

1st row: noID Clivia, Colmanara 'Wildcat', and Cotula lineariloba
2nd row: Eriophyllum lanatum, Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow', E. 'Dean's Hybrid' and Euryops 'Sonnenschein'
3rd row: Hymenolepsis parviflora, noID Narcissus, and Rosa 'Golden Celebration'


The oranges are up next.

More self-seeded Gazanias

Leucospermum 'Brandi'

Leucospermum 'Spider'

Climbing Rosa 'Joseph's Coat'

Clockwise from the upper left: Eschscholzia californica, Anagallis arvensis (weed), Bignonia capreolata, Grevillea 'Superb', Erysimum x allionii, and Pelargonium 'Tweedle Dee'


The red group brings up the rear.

Another self-seeded Gazania, my current favorite

A river of Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset' (punctuated with a single Narcissus 'Sunny Girlfriend)

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer', Euphorbia 'Black Pearl', Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', Lobelia laxiflora, and Linum grandiflorum


I'll close with an unusual bloom that needs its own category.

Ferraria crispa (aka starfish Iris)


For a look at what's blooming elsewhere in the country and other parts of the world, check in with Carol, the host of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

36 comments:

  1. All those amazing purples are so beautiful! Nice gazania, and to think they self-seeded. I miss being just a tiny bit warmer in my planting zone. So many "I used to" haves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a move of 15 miles made a difference in what I can grow, Lisa, so I can appreciate your feelings!

      Delete
  2. WOW the blues do have "it". Love seeing them all. I even have a purple iris that is in bud. This cold weather has slowed it down. That is ok because I need time to wait until I can get out to the nurseries for some more color. I love all the color you have in your garden. Every time I see gazanias in the nursery I think of your garden. The phlomis f looks pretty. I like those yellow twists. Happy GBBd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope a warm-up is in your near-term forecast, Lisa!

      Delete
  3. All the colors of the rainbow, Kris. Stunning, just stunning! I think my favorite is blue as you highlight it here. It's fun to see the color-coordinated collages. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try just about every blue-flowered plant with any chance of growing in my garden, Beth.

      Delete
  4. Amazing parade of blooms, Kris. It's like perusing a nursery catalog!
    I do love your Blooms Day posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really went overboard with the photos in this Bloom Day post, Eliza. I'm happy that you enjoyed it even so.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention that I exclaimed over your first shot of the seafront with its uncharacteristic lack of pollution. Even my spouse came over to have a look! Nature is definitely benefiting from our absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nearby refineries still release material into the atmosphere on a regular basis but the fact that traffic has significantly decreased has made a big difference. It doesn't hurt that we had a long stretch of rain recently either.

      Delete
  6. That first shot is so refreshing and calming. The repetition and clear structure contribute to the relaxing effect. The freshness is all spring, in colors that evoke it so well. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just planted a Pacific iris and am excited about it. Yours are certainly lovely. How does 'Joseph's Coat' do for you - good disease resistance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Joseph's Coat' is tough! I occasionally have problems with rust but then that's true of most roses here.

      Delete
  8. You weren't kidding about it being a long post - and it's full of beautiful flowers! Just as impressive is that you include their names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using their names helps me remember them, Barbara. Although I do have to check my spreadsheet to find the names of some; however, as that's gotten longer and longer, finding a plant's name there can be as difficult as digging it out of my memory!

      Delete
  9. This year has not been good for all of my bulbous plants irises,daffodils,Ranunculus,Hyacinths due to prolonged weather disturbances.I am loving your splendid spring and taking down notes to pick some new varieties for next spring .Coleonema is breath taking is it an spring annual.Happy blooms day.Stay indoors and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coleonema is an evergreen shrub here, Arun. It's common name is Breath of Heaven.

      Delete
  10. Ahhh, so lovely Kris. I especially love all your varieties of lavender as it is so difficult to grow here. At first when I looked at your flowers, it made me want to cry again. We've had two nights in a row at 20 degrees, and the cold and frost have killed many things, including every single bud on my wisteria. Your post makes me want to move to CA and leave behind the crazy teasing springs of OH that are warm when it's supposed to be cold, and cold when it's supposed to be warm. So pretty to see flowers growing in abundance somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cindy, I'm sorry the weather in Ohio turned nasty on you! While California offers certain benefits to gardeners, it presents plenty of challenges - drought, earthquakes, and fires among them.

      Delete
  11. Now that's what I'm talking about! Flowers everywhere! Thank you for sharing the bounty Kris. I am especially taken with your Echium candicans 'Star of Madiera', it's probably good that I can't grow that here...since it gets so big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Echium IS huge. Unfortunately, it doesn't take well to hard pruning so all I do is prune the flowers off at the end of its seasonal run. Eventually, I expect I'll have to take it out and start all over again (as was the case with my smaller Echium webbii).

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness Kris! Your blooms are all so wonderful and I love the color collages! You have so many varieties of Iris that I am in awe over them, plus the clump of Felicia aethiopica 'Tight & Tidy' really complements them. Thank you for the BIG smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish my Dutch iris looks as well as yours. I am spending all day reviewing all your photos!
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a wonderful variety! Beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you are way beyond my Norcal blooms, though 'Golden Celebration has opened up just today. And the Dutch Iris-I tell myself every fall I should plant about 50 . They are cheap, take up no room and provide great cut flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put just a handful of Dutch Iris early in our time here, expecting relatively little. When that handful came back bigger and better each year, I put in more and more over subsequent years. I'll probably branch out into new locations with new colors this coming fall.

      Delete
  16. No wonder you always make the most fabulous bouquets - your entire garden is one big flower arrangement, Kris! As always, lots of things to envy. Love all the blues, in particular, and I always have a soft spot for Agrostemma. Not sure why - I just find it adorable. Tried it once, but it didn't survive my shady garden. Maybe if I try it on my community garden plot, it would do better? (Now you've got me thinking...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Agrostemma for the first time last year and loved it, Anna. The one I photographed for this post was in a pot and looked absolutely fabulous until our Santa Ana winds caused 3/4ths of the plant to break off. I just got 3 more plants from Annie's which I put in the ground where they should be better protected.

      Delete
  17. What a wealth of fabulous flowers Kris. How tall do your Dutch iris grow? Their inclusion with those grasses in the background produces a fabulous effect. A real punctuation mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dutch Iris are supposed to grow about 2 feet tall but I'd say the older, more established plants get closer to 3 feet, Anna. I love them too!

      Delete
  18. What a glorious selection of blooms, Kris! I can see why you love to plant blue flowers; they seem so perfect in your garden. I'm really impressed with how well the Dutch irises are growing for you - very stately!
    Your Lotus bertholdii is fascinating. I bought one shortly before leaving Arizona but never even managed to plant it - sadly as the textures and colors together seem quite intriguing!
    Love your Echiums too, and the Leucospermums and, well... just about everything! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! SoCal is more kindly to gardeners than either of the two places you've lived most recently.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.