|View of both the new path and, in the background next to my potting bench, my new compost bins|
|This photo from November 2018 was the best "before" shot I could find. As you can see, the path we used to haul out our garbage bins was filled with gravel and my composter was a metal and plastic tumbler left behind by a prior owner.|
The new garbage bin path took the most time and was completed first. When we moved in, the path was grass. We tried to find someone to extend the stone pad that adjoins the street but we were unable to find anyone to take a job that small so my husband laid railway ties to support the wheels on the garbage bins and filled in between them with gravel. It worked well enough but, when paving stones were removed from our back patio to allow for the extension of our kitchen during last year's remodel, he envisioned using them to replace the gravel. Once again, we couldn't find anyone willing to bid on the job so he did it himself.
|This photo was taken April 7th after the gravel had been removed. An extended period of rain delayed work for a couple of weeks.|
|Rather than just cramming the stones in to fill the space, he lined them up to mirror the layout of the existing paved walkways, which meant cutting a LOT of the concrete pieces to fit|
|The completed path|
|I relocated all the gravel we removed. Most went into my cutting garden. You can see some color differences in the photo on the right but I imagine those will fade once the gravel is kicked around a bit.|
So we recycled a lot of what we had on hand! My husband also recycled materials to construct my new compost bin system.
|The slats that make up the compost bins were created using the bender board used by prior owners to line the large lawn areas that came with the house. We removed all the lawn, section by section, after we moved in.|
|The clear tops of the compost bins originally protected a couple of art prints. We'd replaced them with a product that limits sun damage so these were available for recycling too.|
|Rather than fill in the narrow space between the bins and the paved path with gravel, my husband cut more of the concrete pieces to fill the gap|
|I christened the compost bin with the first garden debris yesterday!|
|Before and after photos of the back of our garage. Less crap!|
For my part, in addition to the Yucca, I moved the concrete paving stones some prior owner had distributed through the front beds adjacent to the house on the north side but I haven't gotten much further in rehabbing those beds.
|Before & after (1st area): Even I was surprised at exactly how many of those hexagonal concrete paving stones studded the 2 areas. There was no plan or logic associated with their placement that I could see.|
I've also finally finished planting the Dahlia tubers I received in late March. I ordered 17 new tubers back in late December. Three tubers have not yet arrived but I've been reassured that these will be shipped in the coming week. Where I'll put them is another matter altogether, as I've already got 4 sitting in temporary plastic pots until space opens up in the raised planters. A cold winter and a cooler-than-usual spring delayed most of my cool season blooms, many of which are only now getting started, so there's less room than I need for the Dahlias, not to speak of the Zinnia seeds I want to sow.
For the record, I've made nearly zero progress in removing the Mexican feather grass (Stipa tenuissuma) seedlings running rampant on my garden's south side and, as we're in the midst of our first heat wave of the year (in April!), it may be awhile before I get to that, much less any of the new projects I've recently uncovered that need handling.
Best wishes for a pleasant weekend, whatever weather you're facing.
All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party