Monday, March 18, 2019

In a Vase on Monday: The Blues

I decided to focus on the blues in my garden this week for In a Vase on Monday, the popular weekly meme hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  If it has a blue flower and it grows in my climate, I probably grow it or at least have tried to.  Limonium perezii, also known as Sea Lavender and Statice, was the starting point for my first arrangement.

The tall stems of the papery-flowered Limonium began appearing back in January but the flowers took their time to open, which they're now doing en masse

I added a woody stem of Vitex trifolia to the back of the vase as the leaf color picks up the purple color of the Limonium flowers 

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Coleonema album (aka White Breath of Heaven), Dianthus caryophyllus, white and blue Freesia, Osteospermum '4D Purple', Prunus laurocerasus (aka Cherry Laurel), Vitex trifolia 'Purpurea' (aka Arabian Lilac) and, in the center, Limonium perezii


When I prepared my post for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day last week, I noted that some of my favorite bulb blooms had yet to make an appearance.  Then our Santa Ana winds showed up, causing  humidity levels to drop dramatically and sending our temperatures soaring from the 60sF into the low 80s.  Overnight, both the Dutch Iris and the Portuguese Squill began to bloom.  I'm going to give the Iris another week or two to develop but I cut one stem of the Squill (Scilla peruviana) for my second vase.

Scilla peruviana has very short flower stems, calling for a small vase.  I picked up this one almost a year ago but I believe it's the first time I've used it.

The back of this arrangement is a mess.  Whether beaten down by rain or bent by wind, many of my Osteospermum stems are crooked, resulting in downward-facing flowers.

Top view: The tall stem is Aristea inaequalis.  It's blue flowers were open in the sun but unfortunately closed in the lower light of the house.

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum frutescens 'Mega White', noID Ceanothus, Aristea inaequalis, Euryops chrysanthemoides 'Sonnenschien', yellow Freesia, floppy Osteospermum '4D Silver' and, in the middle, Scilla peruviana (Note: The Squill was mistakenly labeled as "peruviana" because it was transported on a ship called "The Peru" after its collection but it's native to the Mediterranean area of Europe, not South America.) 


Dry conditions are causing my Freesias to wither rapidly and, fearing that my remaining tulip blooms were likely to suffer the same fate, I cut two stems for a bud vase to sit on my desk.

Last week Amelia of The Shrub Queen offered a possible ID for the "two-tone" tulips I purchased as pre-sprouted bulbs from my local garden center: 'Cerise Gris de Lin'


For more Monday vases, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2019 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. When I see such a wide range of flowers....I know there is a great gardener, and a lot of dedication and knowledge. Beautiful arrangements as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. My garden is definitely feeling flower-heavy right now. I think I need to focus on foliage a bit more!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, what abundant stems of limonium! I grew it for the frst time last year and I am sure they all had just single spikes. It is certainly something I will grow regularly and have the seedlings growing here already. What a shame your osteospermum blooms are so droopy as I know from when you have shown them before how stunning they are. Lots of lovely bloom as always, Kris, and I especially like the little crackle-blue vase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limonium perezii hails from the Canary Islands, which has a Mediterranean climate like mine - its winter hardiness may be on the edge for you, Cathy. There are more Osteospermums in the pipeline - I just clipped these stems foolishly thinking I could straighten them out.

      Delete
  3. So very abundant and beautiful. You must also have an impressive collection of vases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I've accumulated a lot of new vases since I began participating in this meme, Kim!

      Delete
  4. Lovely and makes feeling the blues not so bad! That Limonium is spectacular and new to me.Must be a western thing? You think I identified your tulip? We need some for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Limonium is a Mediterranean native so suitable for my climate, although perhaps not for yours, Amerlia. The plants are sold in 6-packs here and they handle both heat and dry conditions so they're perfect for use as fillers in my climate.

      I think there's a good possibility that you accurately IDed the tulip, although I suppose ordering some may be the only way to verify this and of course there's no guarantee that next winter's temperatures will be as hospitable to tulips in general as was the case this year.

      Delete
  5. The best Limonium I've ever seen - so robust! Beautiful arrangements as always, Kris. You must really get buffeted by winds in your location. First rain, now wind. Hope they don't do too much damage. At least you got to enjoy your tulips this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our property doesn't have a lot of protection against high winds, that's true. However, fog started moving in over the harbor this afternoon so a change in the weather is definitely afoot. There's even a good chance of rain on Wednesday.

      Delete
  6. Another fabulous array of flowers Kris! Your garden is a very special place! I do love freesia. I always think they smell of apricots! I remember seeing them growing wild on the Greek island of Corfu. That was back in 1965! That lovely place is probably all built on now with holiday homes and hotels! Thank you for giving us such delightful things to look at! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my perspective, it would be safe to say that Freesias are THE spring bulb to grow here in coastal Southern California, Amanda. And the scent is delicious!

      Delete
  7. You had me Googling Vitex trifolia 'Purpurea...of course it’s not hardy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its flowers aren't as flashy as Vitex agnus-castus but the foliage is attractive. I don't think it'd be an easy plant to haul in under winter cover, though.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kris, like danger garden I googled V. trifolia. I've V. agnus-castus but I also bought a variety with pinkish leaves and flowers last autumn that looks stunning but has yet to be planted. Your vases are so pretty and uplifting! Scilla peruviana is another fav which I must plant in autumn as it seems to do well here. Enjoy your garden and happy spring days! Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scilla peruviana is a great plant, Annette. I once faulted it for its spotty bloom record but it's bloomed consistently for at least the past 3 years now. Maybe the bulbs just need time to settle in.

      Delete
  9. The yellow/blue and white/blue combinations are quite different, but equally gorgeous. I really enjoy blue in the garden and wish I had more of it (it's on the to do list!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't have enough blue flowers, Margaret. However, the raccoons seem to think I'm going overboard - they tore up a couple of areas with larkspur seedlings just last night.

      Delete
  10. Strange how we on the left coast had cooler than normal temperatures, you got rain;we got show, and suddenly temperatures have risen and things are drying out. BTW, thanks for the record-breaking (for this time of year) warm temperatures that you blew up to us! Lovely blues and a bright red tulip surprise at the end. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got some warmer weather to enjoy, Peter. Fog moved in here last night and is still with us this morning, bringing humidity levels up and temperatures down. Rain is a possibility tomorrow. It seems winter isn't quite ready to let go of us this year.

      Delete
  11. Bonus of the downcast daisies is that you can enjoy the purple backed petals. I almost prefer that side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they they have pretty back sides too, Diana ;) It's nice they do as most of the flowers close up in low light.

      Delete
  12. I'm a bit late again this week, but always enjoy stopping by to see your lovely vases! Those yellow freesias are what caught my eye most - heavenly! The little blue vase is really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Freesias have already begun to fade here, Cathy, although another round of cooler temperatures is on its way, which should help them hang on a bit longer.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.