Saturday, September 15, 2018

Bloom Day - September 2018

Despite eagerly anticipating the change of seasons, I can't entirely get my head around the fact that it's already mid-September.  We've enjoyed cooler temperatures for the past several weeks on average, although the cool spells are still punctuated by periodic blasts of heat.  The 90-day forecast shows no significant rain until early December but that prediction isn't all that surprising as rain is a winter phenomenon here.  On the bright side, NOAA has announced a 70% chance of an El Niño event this coming winter, which could mean more rain from January through March in Southern California, albeit possibly accompanied by a host of other problems.  It's always difficult to know what to wish for but more than the 3.8 inches of rain we've received at this location since last October 1st would be welcome.

Flowers are less profuse throughout the garden than they were last month but there are still enough to fill my vases on a weekly basis.  The star of this month's Bloom Day post is unequivocally Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis paniculata aka C. terniflora).

Planted in May 2013, this is the largest bloom output from this vine to date despite what's been a very dry year.  Although sold to me by a national nursery as Clematis paniculata, I understand that name properly refers to a New Zealand native and what I have is probably Clematis terniflora, which in turn is not to be confused with Clematis virginiana, an invasive species that shares the same common name.  Are you confused yet?  I was, especially as the flower photos posted on-line mix the 3 species.


The ornamental grasses are looking great as usual at this time of year.

Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum' is a star in the front garden.  Pennisetum 'Fireworks' is in full bloom in the back and south side areas.

Bouteloua gracilis 'Blonde Ambition' isn't as robust as the Pennisetums but I'm enjoying the flowers that dance around Yucca 'Bright Star' nonetheless


Benefiting from more deep watering this summer, my Lantanas look especially good this September.

Lantana camara 'Irene' (upper left) is still my favorite but Lantana 'Lucky White' (upper right) and variegated 'Samantha' (lower right) are giving it a run for its money.  The noID orange and pink forms also deserve "As" for effort.


Some new additions are providing spots of color too.

Echinacea is a pricey annual here but I couldn't resist picking up a pot of 'Cheyenne Spirit' on a Labor Day weekend nursery trip

Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy' (top) isn't new to my garden but 'Pinball Snowtip Lavender' (bottom) is.  Both are providing bright touches of color at the moment.


The dahlias and zinnias also continue to produce a steady supply of blooms.

I'm still waiting impatiently to see if one errant dahlia tuber is going to bloom this season but those that were blooming last month are still blooming now.  Clockwise from the upper left, they include: Dahlia 'Punkin Spice', 'Terracotta', 'Loverboy', 'Strawberry Ice'' and 'Otto's Thrill'.

My hodge-podge collection of Zinnia elegans is blooming but strangely it hasn't attracted the butterflies it did last year


There have been a few surprises.

While a few rain lilies (Zephyranthes candida) were blooming last month, this month I've got 2 good-sized clumps of them (despite the utter absence of rain)

The Mexican tulip poppy (Hunnemannia fumariifolia) has been blooming non-stop since April.  The plant looks a good deal scruffier than it did back then but I'm hoping at least some of the seeds it's shed will produce more plants next year.

Last year I planted 5 globe thistles (Echinops ritro ruthenicus).  If they ever bloomed, I've no recollection or record of it but this bloom and a few buds appeared recently, prompted perhaps by one of my deep watering sessions.  My fingers are crossed that more blooms will follow.  Theoretically, these plants should like it here but they've yet to show that.

I also planted this milkweed, Asclepias physocarpa (referred to as the "family jewels tree" by the grower), last year.  It never bloomed and I thought it'd died but it reappeared this summer.  The blooms weren't impressive but the seedpods that followed are.


As is my habit, I've prepared a few collages to capture what else is in bloom this month.

Top row: Duranta 'Sapphire Showers', Erigeron glaucus 'Wayne Roderick', and Eustoma grandiflorum 'Black Pearl'
Middle row: Liriope muscari, Plumbago auriculata, and Polygala fruticosa 'Petite Butterfly'
Bottom row: Rosmarinus 'Gold Dust', Scabiosa caucasica 'Fama Blue', and Aster x frikartii 'Monch'

Top row: Abelia x grandiflora 'Edward Goucher', Allium tuberosum, and Cistanthe grandiflora
Middle row: Gaura lindheimeri, normal Pelargonium peltatum flower, and virus-affected Pelargonium flower (on the same plant)
Bottom row: Pentas 'Kaleidoscope Appleblossom', Pentas lanceolata 'Nova', and Pyrethropsis hosmariense

Clockwise from the top left: Gaillardia 'Fanfare Citronella', self-seeded Gazania, Eustoma grandiflorum 'Mint Cocoa', Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', G. 'Superb', and Russelia equisetiformis 'Flamingo Park'


For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, visit our host, Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


36 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the Dahlias!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Echinops has been very drought tolerant over our dry summer and still blooms well, so maybe you need to just give it some time. As usual, you have an enormous array of gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about the Echinops - heaven knows, I'm not the most patient of gardeners.

      Delete
  3. Even when you describe your blooms as 'less profuse' you still have double the amount I do! Every year I hope someone will introduce Bouteloua gracilis 'Blonde Ambition' to the UK. It's impossible to get over here.
    Good news on the winter forecast..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'Blonde Ambition' even if it struggles to survive here, Jessica. I hope you find it one day.

      Delete
  4. You always have such a wide variety of gorgeous blooms. Our October rains have arrived early this year. Fingers crossed for you that you'll have a wetter winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris - I'm loving your blooms on Bloom Day! Wow, it's hard to pick a favorite. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rarely able to pick a favorite wither, Joann, although I was pretty happy with the Clematis.

      Delete
  6. Kris, your garden is in spectacular bloom despite heat, your Dahlias look splendid I planted a purple Dahlia to try something different this year. I hope the fall will the rain your garden needs, here things are strangely dry lately which is good for roses, less mildew and blackspot! Have a wonderful sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems difficult to get the rain-sun balance quite right to suit every plant, MDN, but I'm glad to hear your beautiful roses are doing well!

      Delete
  7. Everybody but me seems to grow coneflower with ease! And your zinnias! Gorgeous, while mine this year looked, and were probably feeling, miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, coneflowers don't grow with ease for me, Lisa. Even the plugs I tried years ago were flops. This was already a mature plant when I purchased it and my only role is to try to keep it alive long enough to complete its seasonal bloom cycle.

      Delete
  8. Wow I await for your flower collage they are amazing,your Echinaceas are so vibrant in color ,I really adore your skills on how you capture some beautiful expressions of blooms in your garden .

    ReplyDelete
  9. The family jewels tree made me laugh out loud! We have also been told of the possibility of an El Niño event, but that means less rain for us. Everything in your garden looks fabulous, and I love the way you make a collage of your flowers. And there’s that wonderful Gaillardia Fanfare again! Such an enjoyable post, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that El Niño means less rain for you in Australia, Jane. That's disappointing. Does your climate benefit from La Nina conditions then? Based on what I understood of the NOAA announcement, not all El Niño events are the same. Where this one develops in the Pacific will effect its strength. The forecasters maintained that it'll probably be a weak El Niño in this case.

      Delete
    2. La Niña usually means more rain for us. Sometimes we have rain events during an El Niño they can be quite sporadic. We are now being told that we have a hot, dry summer ahead of us.🙁

      Delete
  10. You have so many wonderful flowers blooming in your garden. Thanks for sharing and Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful, esp. love your collages of beauty! All this with less than 4" of rain - so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we couldn't get by without irrigation, Eliza. I fear a time when we may have to.

      Delete
  12. That clem is spectacular, whatever it is. Echinops should eventually settle in. I grew it years ago and if treated too well it is a serious flopper. Your exposed site might be the perfect sitch for it. I thought that gaillardia might be Amber Wheels which I didn't have the patience to establish...years! Fanfare Citronella looks similar so maybe I'll give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Fanfare Citronella' seems tougher and more resilient than any of the other Gaillardias I grow, Denise. That said, I've given the plants in that bed (including Lantana 'Samantha') more water than I usually do, even when I'm trying to get plants established.

      Delete
  13. Interesting to see some of your last vase occupants out there in the wild Kris. That clematis is a fabulous focal point as is the pennisetum. I think that we are all probably intrigued as to what this coming winter has in store for us. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get more in the way of the wet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more apprehensive than intrigued, Anna, but I've got my fingers crossed too.

      Delete
  14. So many things in bloom! Your garden must be huge! I have definite garden envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lot's just over half an acre, shelly - only large by Los Angeles standards.

      Delete
  15. I know: I can't believe it's mid-September either. And it doesn't feel like it here, as the temps have been in the mid- to high 80s lately. I am happy with that! Woah...those orange Echinaceas are stunning! And the Dahlias, and the Zinnias...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our temperatures are back in the same range, Beth. We actually turned the AC back on for awhile yesterday.

      Delete
  16. You always have so many beautiful blooms. I enjoy seeing all of the color in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Because I'm behind on my blog reading (and forgot that Saturday was Bloomday) I kept wondering when you were gonna cut to the chase and show us the vase. Ha! So now after looking at all these beauties I get to click over and see what you cut. I'm hoping for another look at the beautiful Eustoma grandiflorum 'Mint Cocoa'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot Bloom Day?! All the Eustoma, including 'Mint Cocoa', are past their prime. I've cut many back so there's a chance some will bloom again before the end of the year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.