Monday, September 11, 2017

In a Vase on Monday: Silver looks good with everything

The silvery Leucadendron 'Pisa' that sits outside my home office had become top-heavy and during the high winds that accompanied last week's thunderstorm I was concerned that some of its branches might snap.  They didn't, but with a second thunderstorm possible on Sunday, I decided to trim away more of its foliage to take a bit of weight off.  The pruned foliage provided the starting point for today's vases.

Leucadendron 'Pisa' after I lightened its load


The cutting garden took a beating during our last heatwave and I've since pulled all but 2 of the sunflowers and a good many zinnias but there are still some dahlias producing new, if smaller, blooms.  Once again, Dahlia 'Loverboy' was the most prolific bloomer.

I added the foliage of Alternanthera 'Little Ruby'  to pick up the purplish color at 'Loverboy's' center but there's not enough contrast to create the desired effect

I threw in a few pink zinnias but they're over-shadowed by the red dahlia blooms too

As 'Loverboy's' blooms age, the petals develop tinges of pink

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Dahlia 'Loverboy', Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Alternanthera 'Little Ruby', Leucadendron 'Pisa', Pseuderanthemum 'Texas Tri-star', and Zinnia elegans


The Eustoma grandiflorum 'Rosanne Black Pearl' (Lisianthus) I tried this year has been disappointing but, for the first time, I had enough blooms to use it as a focal point in an arrangement so I let those flowers set the color scheme for a second vase.

'Rosanne Black Pearl' isn't so much black as eggplant purple and the flowers are smaller than those of the other Eustoma grandiflorum I've been growing

I made a last minute change in the vase just before shooting these photos, swapping a ceramic base for this visually lighter glass one

Top view

Clockwise from the left, the vase contains: Eustoma grandiflorum 'Rosanne Black Pearl', a paler blue variety, and the same white variety flushed with lavender I featured last week; the silvery Leucadendron 'Pisa'; the flowers of Liriope muscari, normally hidden from view by the plant's strappy foliage; Osteospermum '4D Silver'; and Symphyotrichum chilense


Sunday's thunderstorm was a no-show, at least here, although we did get winds gusts of 20mph in the evening hours so I'm glad I got the Leucadendron trimmed despite an unexpectedly hot (91F) afternoon.  I can't complain, though - my weather wasn't punishing like that faced by residents of Florida and the Southeastern Seaboard.  My thoughts are with all of you touched by Hurricane Irma, as well as the survivors and families of victims of the 9/11 attacks 16 years ago today.

For more Monday vases, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden, the gracious host of "In a Vase on Monday."



All material © 2012-2017 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Sixteen years ago...wow.

    You used your Leucadendron prunings so beautifully, and you're right. Everything goes with silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Leucadendron. I'd be horrified if one or more of its branches broke.

      Delete
  2. Your overhead views in particular show both these vases off perfectly, Kris, and the foliage works well in both cases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the top view shots are the best of the bunch, Cathy!

      Delete
  3. Two lovely arrangements! Great way to use some clippings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great contrasts here. I like the silver and red but I'm most taken with the dark eustoma. Stunning. I do like those cool colours together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such great hopes for that "black" Eustoma but the plant just isn't as vigorous as the rest. I lost most of the first dozen plugs the mail order nursery sent me to the heat and only a handful of the second dozen I received have bloomed.

      Delete
  5. I adore your vases and that purple one is a favorite but oh that burgundy dahlia is so dramatic it made me say wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the punch of 'LoverBoy' in this vase with the drama of height from the leucadendron. 'Rosanne Black Pearl' is just the color of grape popsicles! Striking with the lighter colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the 'Black Pearl' definitely needs contrast to show it off.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting that the different colors of Lisianthus are different sizes. Though being so dark I think those smaller blooms work better in your bouquet than if they had been bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about that, Linda - a little of that dark color goes a long way. I just wish the plants were more vigorous and dependable but maybe the plant breeders took their fiddling a little too far with this cultivar.

      Delete
  8. Lover Boy goes very nicely with the fresh green foliage, even if he does take all the attention off the other blooms. I love the blues and purples in the second vase and wish I had more of those colours - one little blue aster is about all I have in those shades... food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scoop up just about every blue or purple-flowered plant that grows in my climate, Cathy. I'm of the opinion that one can never have enough blue.

      Delete
  9. 'Loverboy' is such a funny name for a flower, but wow, this one has proved its worth. Lovely. And you know I love seeing those Eustoma. Have a great week Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to wonder how some plant cultivar names are selected. I hope Irma has dwindled to a mere shadow of itself before the storm reaches your part of the country, Susie.

      Delete
  10. Delightful news that silver looks good with everything as my hair seems determined to turn that color. Your arrangements are, as always, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver hair is also fabulous, Peter! I think my husband would be happy if his hair hangs around long enough to turn silver.

      Delete
  11. That certainly was an example of timely and judicious pruning Kris. What's not to love about 'Loverboy" but my favourite vase has to be those cooling blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue seems to be a perennial favorite (no pun intended). A garden can never have enough of it.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.