For reference, here's another photo of the area after the hedge was removed but before it was replanted:
And here's a look at it after replanting:
|I added about 500 lbs of rock to stabilize the soil on this slope, which is steeper than it appears in this photo|
|View of the same area from the opposite direction|
Not all the plants came from garden centers. In addition to dividing the Agapanthus into 3 smaller clumps, I transplanted plants taken from elsewhere in the garden.
|From left to right: newly planted clump of blue Agapanthus; one of 3 divisions of Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' taken earlier in the year; and Leucadendron 'Safari Goldstrike', purchased in early spring and temporarily kept in a pot|
I also took cuttings of succulents I had elsewhere.
And here are the plants I purchased:
Most of these species were purchased in multiples and I've already picked up a few additional succulents that don't appear in my photos so, as I said, tweaking will continue. I considered dressing the lower area with gravel but the sloping surface presents a challenge so I'm leaning in the direction of adding more small-leafed succulents as ground cover. There's a large space just south of the variegated Echium that needs to be filled too but I haven't settled on the right thing to complement the surrounding plants yet.
As we brought home 860 lbs of rock from the stone yard, I still have about 360 lbs of rock to use elsewhere now that I'm mostly done with this area. I'm waiting for the cricks in my back to smooth out before I get started with that. The work that's already been done will stand as my Foliage Follow-up post this month. For more foliage selections, visit our host, Pam at Digging.
All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party