Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Wednesday Vignette: Grasshopper Ghost

Cruising through my garden one recent morning, I caught sight of what I thought was a mysterious new luminescent bug hiding within the leaves of Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt'.  Upon closer inspection, it appeared transparent and had a shape disturbingly like that of a grasshopper.

Was this the ghost of a grasshopper?


The photo is admittedly not that sharp but then when have you seen a photo of a ghost that was?

This husk left by a molting grasshopper is my Wednesday Vignette.  To see other interesting images, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2016 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was perfect. I tried to shift it around a little to improve the photograph but I was afraid too much manhandling would destroy it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool find! I guess he/she has outgrown his/her last set of clothes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the down side is that a bigger - and probably hungrier - grasshopper is pillaging my garden.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - wonder how it retained its shape so well... You'd figure that once the grasshopper has left, the remaining shell would be shredded. Nature is so amazing... Thank you for this - it was a first for me. I didn't even know that grasshoppers molt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that grasshoppers molt either but then I realized that was a more likely possibility than a ghost grasshopper.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Luck and the stark color contrast with the Acacia deserve the credit.

      Delete
  5. Great photo, so cool! I've found a few bug husks out in the garden, but never a ghostly white one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a husk like this one either.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. What's most frightening is the thought that I now have a bigger grasshopper chomping the the plants in my garden!

      Delete
  7. Amazing, isn't nature incredible? I can see exactly why you thought it looked like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the husks of other molting insects but I can't remember any like this one.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions. However, with apologies to bona-fide commentators, due to a significant increase in spam, I've eliminated the option to post comments anonymously.