I haven't even tried to put together a bouquet for a few weeks. Our unusually cool summer turned wicked and it has become increasingly hot and humid. I noticed that the few roses I have wither almost upon opening. But pumped up by new floral images, I cut one rose in bud before it had a chance to wither and went looking for other materials to show it off. Here's what I ended up with:
I used some of the same materials I've used in other bouquets but the mix is different and, this time, more dependent on foliage materials. Here's what I included:
- Rosa 'Medallion'
- Coreopsis 'Redshift' (which has shifted back toward yellow as the days and nights have grown warmer)
- Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' and another variety that piggybacked its way into my garden with 'Arizona Sun'
- Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'
- Nandina domestica (no ID) berries and foliage
- Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'
Here's another shot showing the rose fully opened:
|Rose, Gaillardia, Coreopsis, Leucadendron, Nandina, Pennisetum|
I probably won't post many bouquets as the summer heat wears on but, with those I do, I'm going to make more of an effort. Now, if I can just keep the cats away from those tempting Pennisetum stems...