We've been lucky with conditions along the Southern California coast for the past week with temperatures in the upper 70sF (26C). The ten-day forecast shows more of the same ahead. I even put in little time working in my garden this past week, cutting back some of the plants that burned or baked during the last extended heatwave. I still have some dahlias, although far fewer than I had earlier in the season, and many of those are flowering on thinner, more feeble stems prone to breaking. I can't guarantee how much longer they'll last but I'm hopeful that they may fill my vases at least through the end of September, which or course isn't far away.
This week's vase provided a pinky-purple mix. As the vase I'd selected proved to be a bit too tight to accept everything I'd cut, after juggling what I could into place, I ended up discarding some of what I'd selected but the overall arrangement was better for the edits.
| As the stems varied significantly in length, I struggled to fit them together in a cohesive fashion so the arrangement I ended up with wasn't what I'd initially envisioned |
| Back view |
| Overhead view |
I was happy with the mix even though I ended up tossing quite a few flowers, most notably the stems of Polygala grandiflora (aka sweet pea bush). I couldn't get its short stiff branches shoved into place. However, they weren't a big loss as the shrub had planted itself where it didn't belong in the first place, and then got torched by the heat. I have a lot of the same plant elsewhere in any case.
| The final arrangement in place at the front entry |
You can find more IAVOM arrangements by checking in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to discover what she and other gardeners participating in this weekly meme have found to share.
All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party
Temps in the 70s is great news. Seems like the zinnias last longer for you than the dahlias. I wonder how the colored varieties of scabiosa like 'Black Knight' would work in your cutting garden, if they hang on longer than dahlias..
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm liking the purple-pink mix! Perfect weather! Mid- to high 70s would be normal for us in September, too, but we've had an early cool-down. It's not too bad, with highs and the 60s and lows in the 50s, but cooler daytimes than normal. Dahlias and Zinnias are wonderful, and your arrangement is beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteVery pretty arrangement Kris, I like the vase a lot. So glad it's cooled down!
ReplyDeleteThe Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' is the perfect foliage counterpart to the blast of color and and round shapes.
ReplyDeleteYou always manage to find just the right foliage to set off the blooms in your vases, Kris. Your dahlias and zinnas are such pretty shades too
ReplyDeleteThis rumination, “the arrangement I ended up with wasn't what I'd initially envisioned” made me think I could exchange “arrangement” for ”garden” and it would reflect my own experience in the garden or doing art projects. They make themselves known as they progress and come into being. As long as we allow it, love the process and the result despite not matching the original vision.
ReplyDeleteChavli