Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Sparse Flower Power

The garden always looks less flowerful in September and this year the bloom display is perhaps sparser than usual as I just haven't been able to invest the time and energy my garden needs to stay on pace.  It didn't help that, after cooler than usual summer temperatures at the start of the season, it got much hotter during the past month.

However, my garden did provide a few surprises recently.

This Hippeastrum appeared out of the blue from one of the bulbs I'd planted in my back garden 2-3 years ago with the intention of allowing it to naturalize.  The bulbs don't seem to flower on any set schedule.  This one may be 'Luna' but I'm no longer certain.

I deadheaded all my Agapanthus more than a month ago, assuming they were done for the season.  These stragglers appeared out of nowhere.  The dark blue one was added to my collection a few years ago and has bloomed slightly later than those that came with the garden but even its flowers were unexpected.

I sowed sunflower seeds in June and only half expected to see any results.  I only got a few seedlings but this Helianthus 'Astra Rose' really pleased me.

I never know if or when this Leucophyllum laevagatum will bloom but it seems to respond to summer storms.  We seldom have those but I guess the remnants of Hurricane Marie are responsible for this appearance.

This noID Caladium obviously isn't a flower but it's pretty enough to warrant a shout out


Not to be outdone, the real stars of the garden this month were these:

A few of the dahlias were disappointing and several seemed to have already bloomed out but this group is still producing flowers.
Top row: Dahlia 'Admiral Rawlings' and D. 'Enchantress'
Middle row: D. 'Labyrinth', D. 'Karma Caroline', and D. 'Omega'
Bottom row: D. Mystery Day', D. Snowball', and D. 'Table Dancer'

The zinnias also got a late start this year and most have appeared only in small numbers at any one time.  Clockwise from the upper left, those currently flowering include: Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose', Z. 'Oklahoma White', Z. 'Benary's Giant Purple', and Z. 'Benary's Giant Wine'.

The most prolific and dependable of my daylilies, Hemerocallis 'Spanish Harlem', is midway through its second bloom cycle for the year

I don't have many roses but 6 Rosa 'Pink Meidiland' shrubs came with the garden and continue to flower at the front of the house


And then there are the usual old dependables, which serve as the backbones of my garden.

Abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope' and A. g. 'Radiance'

The everblooming Grevillea 'Superb'

Lantana camara 'Irene' and noID yellow variety

Not flowers but rather colorful leaf bracts imitating flowers, these are Leucadendron 'Devil's Blush' and L. 'Summer Red'


I'll wrap up my late summer overview with a handful of honorable mentions tucked into a collage.

Clockwise from the upper left are: Catharanthus 'Blueberry Kisses', a noID Coleus, Daucus carota 'Dara', Rudbeckia 'Juliana', and Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'
 

With the arrival of cooler temperatures this week, I'm hopeful that we're on the bridge heading into the fall season.  My garden needs work and I need take stock of what should be yanked, what should be pruned back, and then compile a list of the prospects for replacements.  What about you?  Are you getting ready for the fall season yet?


All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.