Until 3-4 years ago we only had the occasional teenage males show up after being kicked out of the maternal nest and they never stayed long. We're not sure why that changed but they're proliferating fast now. They appear to nest mainly in the tall pine trees, where they're safe. They do walk-abouts during the daytime hours.
You're right, there are no words! (But I had to look up how the heck the peacocks ended up all the way from Southeast Asia to your neighborhood. Seems Wrigley kept an aviary on Catalina Island and gifted one of his birds to the founder of the community in the 1920s -- I have a love/hate relationship with AI!)
Yes, I also remember reading that the peacocks were gifted to a landowner in the PV area in the 1920s. They've wandered about numerous parts of PV ever since but, for whatever reason, they never settled in our immediate area until 3-4 years ago, coincidentally (or not) around the time UCLA took over the former Marymount College property. I've wondered if Marymount had deliberately "removed" them. It's illegal to feed them but also to harm them, although I understand that some areas with lots of them have been allowed to relocate them.
The population has seemingly exploded this year after a slow ball start a couple of years ago. Initially, there appeared to be a single male peacock with a harem of 3 peahens. This year we seem to have multiple peafowl families!
I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.
Ha! Your neighborhood peacocks have been busy this year! What an adorable photo. I hope they aren't a nuisance. Can you tell where they nest?
ReplyDeleteChavli
Until 3-4 years ago we only had the occasional teenage males show up after being kicked out of the maternal nest and they never stayed long. We're not sure why that changed but they're proliferating fast now. They appear to nest mainly in the tall pine trees, where they're safe. They do walk-abouts during the daytime hours.
DeleteYou're right, there are no words! (But I had to look up how the heck the peacocks ended up all the way from Southeast Asia to your neighborhood. Seems Wrigley kept an aviary on Catalina Island and gifted one of his birds to the founder of the community in the 1920s -- I have a love/hate relationship with AI!)
ReplyDeleteYes, I also remember reading that the peacocks were gifted to a landowner in the PV area in the 1920s. They've wandered about numerous parts of PV ever since but, for whatever reason, they never settled in our immediate area until 3-4 years ago, coincidentally (or not) around the time UCLA took over the former Marymount College property. I've wondered if Marymount had deliberately "removed" them. It's illegal to feed them but also to harm them, although I understand that some areas with lots of them have been allowed to relocate them.
DeleteAwww, so cute... but uh-oh, the population is growing! 😏 Eliza
ReplyDeleteThe population has seemingly exploded this year after a slow ball start a couple of years ago. Initially, there appeared to be a single male peacock with a harem of 3 peahens. This year we seem to have multiple peafowl families!
Delete