Monday, September 28, 2026

In a Vase on Monday: The heat is on (again)

The heat returned late last week, although yesterday's temperature wasn't as bad as Saturday's when it peaked at 90F (32C).  It looks as though we can expect to see highs in the mid-80s for the next ten days.  The humidity level also remains high but then there's another hurricane threatening the coast of Mexico.  It shouldn't directly affect Southern California  but there seems to be some concern that it could rise our surf levels, contributing to beach erosion.  Meanwhile, we await El Niño and the impact it's likely to have here.  It's hard to ignore the possibilities when we see headline articles in the papers nearly daily of late about its pending arrival.

I still have some dahlias in my cutting garden but the zinnias are making a bigger splash this week, even if only a handful of the seed varieties I sowed back in June have made an appearance.

I started off using only white flowers before throwing in a few oranges and yellows to perk things up 

Back view: As the Lantanas I pruned back hard a month ago have rebounded, I threw in several stems of Lantana 'Irene' because it picked up the same color theme so well

Overhead view

Clockwise from the upper left, the vase contains: Lantana camara 'Irene', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum', Dahlia 'Snowball', Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose', Z. 'Queeny Lemon Peach', and Z. 'Oklahoma White'


I got a little gardening done last week before the heat and humidity had me backing off again.  I did a bit of plant shopping too as I'm finding it hard to ignore all the empty spots that opened up over the summer months in part because I've simply had less time and energy to give my garden this year.  Fall is typically the peak time to plant here and I can only be hopeful that El Niño doesn't make that more difficult this year.  If you're unfamiliar with El Niño, a weather phenomenon that often has particular impact on my area of the US, you can find a recent article here.

To view other IAVOM posts, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and other contributors have put together to share with us this week.


A side note to my fellow bloggers:  Blogspot has been experiencing a problem in updating my blogroll and those of many others using the same platform.  There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what gets updated and when, and it affects even the recording of posts originating on other platforms like Wordpress.  I currently have to manually check each URL to determine whether or not other bloggers have posted something new.  Bear with me as I wait out Google's efforts to fix the problem.

All material © 2012-2026 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall colors, and I like the addition of white making it feel so fresh! Blogspot is really on a roll with glitches lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't rely on Blogspot's blogroll at all at present. Almost every post shown there is weeks old...

      Delete
  2. Your zinnias look great. I love the peachy ones. This El Nino is really something! I've been watching the Pacific hurricanes while we have a record breaking no hurricanes so far. Crazy! .Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hurricanes for you is great! Mexico and Hawaii don't seem to be so lucky. In our case in Caifornia, we're just awaiting El Nino's wallop - the immediate issue is the erosion of the beach areas.

      Delete
  3. Blogger is a legacy platform, decades old, vs implementation of modern web standards. Legacy platform code breaks whenever underlying web standards shift. Also, Blogger draws little revenue. Google has it largely on maintenance mode, there is no active development team. That said, your vase is gorgeous. I will always remember the Snapple bottle vases for mom and also thinking, there should be some vases around here somewhere. Cutting some roses for myself in 3, 2, 1…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still give cut flowers away to neighbors and friends, although the supply of both bottles and flowers is dwindling now.

      Delete
  4. Those white zinnias are particularly striking, Kris, but the orange accents make an attractive contrast. I am sorry to read weather conditions in your part of the world are a cause for concern - thankfully here in the UK things seem to have settled down and we are having a fairly balmy and comfortable September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we got the one tropical storm a few weeks ago, we're still waiting on rain and a sustained decrease in our temperatures. I hope it all doesn't come at once!

      Delete
  5. The flowers are great, but what makes it for me is Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Leptpspermums were one of my best plant investments!

      Delete
  6. I hate to see the end of dahlia season, they are such gorgeous flowers. I need to plant more zinnias next year, I didn't have the variety I've had in the past and miss them. Hope the weather gets more comfortable for you soon! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are crossed for cooler weather, Eliza - and that El Nino won't be as fearsome as experts have suggested.

      Delete
  7. Every time I hear about the extreme weather I think of you. They are predicting some crazy stuff. Stay safe. This vase is such a beautiful contrast and a melding of the yellows, creams and orange. I love how you find just the right flowers and beautiful foliage to complement it. Another beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mix of zinnias. I especially love the white ones. Dahlia 'Snowball' works well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing Tanacetum parthenium in your bouquet reminds me that Luis said he normally doesn't like white flowers, but he found those very cute. We've got a mix of single, double, and semi-double plants. They sure are prolific! I guess I could put some in a bouquet too. I don't think I've ever seen the mouse-riding-a-butterfly figurine before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mouse comes out on a periodic basis when he coordinates well with the selected flowers ;) The ferny Tanacetum foliage alone is worth growing.

      Delete
  10. Your zinnias are lovely Kris, especially the giant salmon rose one. This colour mix makes me think of peaches and cream!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.