Wednesday, October 2, 2024

The Brindley garden, one of the final stops on the Puget Sound Fling

After leaving the Heckler garden on the afternoon of the last day of the Puget Sound Fling in July, my bus headed for Windcliff.  Even our small bus faced some difficulties winding our way through narrow streets as we approached and we were initially dropped off next door before walking to Windcliff.  The boundaries between Windcliff and the Brindley garden next door were somewhat porous and, as the official Fling photo was set up at the latter location, I ended up going back and forth between the two properties, on one occasion looking for the bottled water kept on the bus.  My photos became jumbled in the process and although I think I've sorted them out, I can't be certain of this.  Rather than jump into coverage of Windcliff, I'm covering the Brindley garden first.

Both properties sit on the Salish Sea in Indianola, Washington with views of the Puget Sound, as well as downtown Seattle in the distance.  The Brindley garden was designed and planted by Shayne Chandler in 2010 on a referral from Dan Hinkley.  From the drive leading to the house to the view overlooking the Salish Sea, it's a beautiful space.

I'll start with the driveway area.

I think this photo was part of the Brindley property but it could be part of the drive headed into Windcliff

A lovely display of Japanese anemones (Eriocapitella hupehensis)

Artichokes fronted by Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum x superbum)

A path approaching the house

A wonderful seating area surrounded by colorful flowers

I loved this composition of peach dahlias and gladiolas, with some burgundy hollyhocks thrown in

I'm now unsure which garden this Hydrangea and noID Lomatia belong to


Ditto with this mass of what I think is Lobelia tupa

But this is most certainly the front of the Brindley home

More peach-colored flowers, in this case bordered by Persicaria 'Painter's Palette', a plant I wish I could grow


Clockwise from upper left: a noID Cordyline paired with Persicaria 'Painter's Palette', noID peach lilies, and a noID Persicaria ground cover I saw in a few Puget Sound gardens

Monarda didyma underneath a pretty tree (probably Cercis canadensis 'Flame Thrower')

Shed fronted by what may be another Cercis and backed by what I remember thinking must be Sedum in full flower


As I recall, moving beyond the shed led me into the back garden.

Back garden with a raised patio

A good view of the back of the house through what I'm guessing is Stipa gigantea

An impressive mass of red Crocosmia close to the house

As Loree Bohl of danger garden says, there's always an agave

A very colorful sculpture offered a focal point

Top row: Echinops
Middle: Eryngium and what I think might be a Hebe
Bottom: some kind of buckwheat (Eriogonum)

noID Yucca with particularly pretty flowers

Flinger viewing the sea behind a curtain of red-flowered Phygelius

Another view through a mass of Crocosmia



I enjoyed reviewing my photos of this garden and wish I could make another round in person.  As with virtually every site we visited on our Fling tours, I didn't feel I thoroughly covered the Brindley garden.  I didn't manage many wide shots, which might have helped the reader with the overall orientation of the garden.  If you're interested in another perspective, check out Pam Penick's post at Digging here.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


3 comments:

  1. The garden looks lovely, and the views! Do you know what groundcover is creeping around the agaves, the color is nice. The Persicaria adds such a pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rushing so much to get photos at that point, I don't think I even looked at the groundcover closely, Tracy. Maybe snow-in-summer (Cerastium tomentosum)?

      Delete
  2. Consumed by the mania of plant shopping at Windcliff, I completely missed this garden (and the group photo! disgraceful!) so thank you for the coverage! So cool to have a neighbor with a passion for gardens too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.