Monday, October 7, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Protea flowers at last!

I planted my first Protea 'Pink Ice' in the ground in 2018, after it spent two years in a large pot without flowering.  Almost six years after planting it in the ground, I finally have flowers.  I planted another Protea cultivar last December and it's already developing flowers so I'm guessing that the magic ingredient was two years of good rain.  I only cut two flowers because I want to enjoy them outside too.

The Protea blooms are very heavy and I struggled to find the right vase, making do with this one my mother bought me in Finland many years ago, on her one and only trip to her parents' home country

Back view: I used a mix of Leucadendron foliage (as well as Rudbeckias) to fill out the vase.  Leucadendrons are members of the larger Proteaceae family.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Correa 'Wyn's Wonder', Cuphea 'Honeybells', Rudbeckia hirta ''Sahara', Dahlia 'Excentric', Leucadendron salignum 'Chief', L. s. 'Blush', and Protea neriifolia 'Pink Ice'


The first Dahlia 'Hometown Hero' blooms are just getting started but I decided to wait until those flowers are more fully open to cut them for an arrangement so instead I made use of a mix of the dahlias that keep toppling over.

I included 4 varieties of dahlias in this arrangement

Back view: a few Rudbeckia served to fill holes

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Dahlia 'Creme de Cognac', D. 'Fairway Spur' in 2 forms, D. 'La Luna', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Plectranthus scutellarioides 'Indian Summer' (coleus), Rudbeckia hirta 'Sahara', and Dahlia 'Summer's End'


Once again, I also put together a small third arrangement for the kitchen island, utilizing more dahlias of course.

Vitex trifolia is at its exuberant best in late summer, although it droops in vases during the first 24 hours after its stems are cut as shown here.  Digitalis purpurea is also still flowering in my cutting garden so I had to cut Dahlia 'Mikayla Miranda' to show off both.


I'm glad the dahlia train is still running but I've already started thinking about my cool season cutting garden, even if its been far from cool here thus far.  Our morning marine layer continues to keep it cooler along the coast than it's been in the inland areas but last week's temperatures were in the mid-80sF (30C) most days.  This week may be cooler but that remains to be seen.  Meanwhile, our 2025 "water year" started October 1st and my year-to-date precipitation total now reads 0.02/inch.  That is wholly attributable to moisture from the heavy marine layers.  There's still no rain in the forecast for us in the foreseeable future.


For more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, worth the long wait for Protea flowers! I agree, they appreciate extra water. That's my luck anyway, with Proteas and Banksias they seem to want way more water in my garden than advised. Hometown Hero made a late appearance, it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're always told to water more in early on to give plants time to become established but 6 years seems like overkill, doesn't it?! 'Pink Ice' actually developed some buds last year but they just dried up in their infancy.

      Delete
  2. 'Pink Ice' is lovely, and the flowers look beautiful with the Dahlias and other elements. I'm partial to salmon and peachy tones, so I love that second arrangement, too. But the lavender/purple arrangement is also stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. It's already hard to imagine how I'm going to make up a single arrangement (much less 3) once the dahlias are gone.

      Delete
  3. Oh to have flowers all year. That orangey dahlia is beautiful. And I don't think I have ever seen a Protea either in a garden or arrangement. What a unique flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern California does have its positive attributes, Donna - at least if you ignore the months on end without rain, the wildfires and the earthquakes...

      Delete
  4. I just love Proteas although could never grow them here. You can be rightly chuffed with those, and have combined them elegantly with other special blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. The Proteas certainly kept me waiting!

      Delete
  5. Proteas are my favorite - just fantastic and I love it, so jealous..I think it is too humid for them here. I will try to wish some of this rain your way.. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could meld our climates, Amelia! I hope Hurricane Milton shifts direction and heads someplace else where it won't cause harm.

      Delete
  6. Love those proteas! Occasionally, they are offered for sale here and they are so long-lasting in a vase, and then they dry and last even longer. Can't complain about that!
    Your dahlias continue to shine, you grow stunning ones.
    What will you be growing for winter? Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be watching how well the Proteas last in a vase and later as the blooms dry, Eliza. For my cool season cutting garden, I'm planning to plant anemone bulbs, Consolida ajacis (larkspur), Nigella, Orlaya, foxgloves, and sweet peas to start with. Most of those won't bloom until late winter at earliest if they're not planted/sown until November. I'm also already looking for more of the double-petaled Osteospermums for my drier borders.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.