Monday, October 21, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: The Wind Factor

I've been fretting off and on about when to clear my cutting garden of the dahlias that have done so well this year.  Given their vigor, I anticipated that the majority could hold up well into November if I allowed it, which meant that my cool season garden would get off to a very late start.  While the dahlias were negatively impacted by the severe heatwave we had in September, they'd come roaring back and even the two stragglers finally offered blooms as our temperatures cooled down.  However, my predictions about the dahlias' staying power failed to take account of Southern California's virulent Santa Ana winds.  As a life-long resident of Southern California, how I managed to miss that factor in making my predictions suggests an element of delusion on my part.  The fierce winds were actually fairly late this year, with the first major event kicking off last Friday.  I lost more dahlia flowers overnight to the strong, dry winds than to the earlier heatwave.  The top-heavy flowers snapped their stems and petals quickly withered.  I'd hoped I could give away lots of flowers to neighbors when I pulled up the dahlia tubers but at the moment I suspect I may be squeaking by just to have sufficient blooms to fill one or two more vases next week.

The first few blooms of Dahlia 'Belle of Barmera' opened this weekend but I cut only one stem, filling in my first vase with two stems of Dahlia 'Fairway Spur'.  The latter had performed nose dives in response to the wind's ferocity.

I also included zinnias and Grevillea stems to add interest

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Cuphea 'Honeybells', Grevillea 'Superb', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Dahlia 'Belle of Barmera', D. 'Fairway Spur', Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Coral', and Z. e. 'Zinfandel Peach'


Unlike the dahlias, my seed-sown zinnias were hardly bothered by the wind.  I cut a lot of them for this week's arrangements and made them the centerpiece of my second vase.

The largest zinnias shown here were all grown from seed as 'Benary's Giant Wine' but some are noticeably darker than others, as evidenced in this photo.  I added 2 stems of Amarine, hybrids of Amaryllis belladonna and Nerines, to lighten the combination somewhat.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Hopley's Variegated', Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Amarine belladive 'Emanuelle', 2 variations of Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Wine', and Z. e. 'Zinfandel Lilac'


I threw a handful of stems of Dahlia 'Summer's End' and a couple zinnias into a small vase for the kitchen island.

This vase also contains a single stem of Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'


Our morning marine layer deserted us while the winds were blowing but we're expecting its return here along the coast as early as tomorrow, which should bring our temperatures back down into the 70sF (21-26C) and raise our humidity to a more comfortable level.  Time permitting, I may start digging up the most woebegone of my dahlias tubers later this week.  I put out a handful of small bottles containing flowers late yesterday afternoon but it's possible the wind may take them out before anyone stops by to pick them up.

Most of what was really battered went into our green bin but the flowers I cut to give away had a couple days of life in them.  If they're scattered all over the street in the morning, I'll know that was a useless gesture.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy in Rambling in the Garden, the leader of the merry band of flower arrangers working with what we have on hand in our own gardens.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

13 comments:

  1. They're so beautiful, from every angle! Thanks for sharing the overhead views--they're packed with loveliness. And I really love the color and vibrance of the 'Summer's End' Dahlias--they're magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Summer's End' dahlias have always been the most resilient in my garden but it appears they're throwing in the towel now too, Beth. Ugh, they don't call Santa Ana winds "devil winds" for no reason!

      Delete
  2. Oh to be your neighbor. Not only to see your garden but to have free blooms available. Both vases are lovely but wow the tropical color of the first vase is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that 'Belle of Barmera' bloomed at last. It's currently showing just 3 more flowers in various stages of development and I can't be sure how long it'll hang on given what's happening to the rest of my dahlia "crop" but I'm hoping I'll get at least one more vase out of it.

      Delete
  3. Lucky neighbors! I love love the first arrangement, the colors are so rich. I hope your winds have died down. This time of year is always scary for fire potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we didn't get a marine layer this morning, or at least there was no sign of one at 6:30am when I poked my nose out. It's dry but still at the moment; however, the adjusted forecast doesn't show much morning fog until Friday now :(

      Delete
  4. I love your street-side generosity! Wind is exhausting, and destructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds have been whipping up hardest in the evening but it appears none of the flowers blew away overnight. Half were gone early this morning (with their plastic water bottles left behind for some reason) and the rest, along with the paper carrier, were gone by the time I got home from my grocery run a little later.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, the dry warm Santa Anas -- I need to buy a lot more lotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity level is back up to 22% here but it still feels very dry, Denise. And now it appears that we won't see a significant morning marine layer until Friday, at least at my elevation. Hopefully, your area will do better!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, yes, following this devastation of many of your dahlias, see if you can dry some while you have the chance. I do hope some of your neighbours take in the posies đŸ€ž How curious that the zinnias are not affected in the same way... You have certainly made good use of the survivors in your two vases, and I especially like the shades in the seco d one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers I left out seem to have been picked up, Cathy. I really felt little hope for them last night when the wind whipped up yet again.

      Delete
  7. A bit of a bummer, to have the winds topple your beautiful dahlias! Oh, well, as you pointed out, you will get a start on your winter flowers earlier. As the saying goes, very apropos, "It's an ill wind that blows no good." 😊
    You created two beautiful arrangements as well. I esp. love the top view of the first. Luscious and rich colors.
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.