Friday, October 1, 2021

This week's projects

This week, while temperatures were still on the cooler side, I tackled a project I've been dreading for a long time.  I dug up two plants in one of my back garden borders, the native California asters (Symphyotrichum chilense) I'd planted in 2016 and the Liriope spicata I'd planted in 2014.  Both were rampant spreaders.  I can't claim I wasn't warned in either case.  However, particularly in the case of the aster, I thought low-water conditions would keep the plants in the manageable range.  What I didn't factor into the mix was the extent to which even one year with significant rainfall could cause the plants to take off - or how awful the aster might look when our drought conditions returned with a vengeance.

The problem wasn't evident in this wide shot taken in late June

This closeup photo, taken in early June, does a better job at illustrating the problem.  The mass of aster stems can be seen swallowing up plants, including a white-flowered Alstroemeria, my dwarf Jacaranda, and even the troublesome Liriope growing along the edge of the pathway. 

This photo, also taken in early June, shows the aster's march across the breadth of the border.  The aster's stems had already started to move across the flagstone path in search of new territory in the border on the east side of the garden.  However, as everything was still green, it was easier to tolerate.

The asters start flowering in July and reach their peak in August.  They looked better in 2019 (as shown here) than they've looked in subsequent years.

This is what the area looked like in early September.  The aster stems on this side of the border looked as though they'd been torched.

The problem is that the aster's rhizomatous underground stems spread everywhere, including under other plants.  Removing those stems meant digging up a lot of other plants in the process. 

I ended up taking out far more plants then I'd hoped to in the process of getting out the aster and Liriope roots.  The Lirope wasn't ugly like the burned out aster stems but it's intrusion on other plants has been a problem for a long time and, as the aster and Liriope were intertwined, it made sense to deal with both at the same time.

Both plants had engulfed the dwarf Jacaranda 'Blue Bonsai' so I had to work very carefully in the area surrounding it to avoid damaging the tree's roots.  I had a similar problem in the area around the fountain, where a lot of Dutch Iris bulbs are planted.  Did I get all the aster and Liriope stems?  That's unlikely but I hope I've at least halted their advance and that careful monitoring will allow me to manage future appearances as they arise.

In addition to losing other plants in the process, I turned up a lot of bulbs that I hope to replant soon.

I couldn't avoid upturning the small Freesia bulbs (left) but I managed to avoid unearthing all but a few of the more deeply planted Iris bulbs (right)

I've already bought a few plants to fill the empty spots in that bed, and I have a trip to a couple of my favorite garden centers to the north planned for early this month.  Next week, I have a truckload of mulch scheduled for delivery too.

My recent purchases include Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty' and Phylica pubescens (aka featherhead).  I couldn't pass them up as they were more reasonably priced than I've seen in the past.


My other project this week was much simpler and more pleasant.  It involved potting up some new - and not so new - plants.

I received four new Mangaves I'd ordered by mail this week.  Two of them are included here, both in blue pots to coordinate with the large succulent bowl I put together three weeks ago.  An Aloe and another Mangave I purchased earlier as a pup joined this collection outside the back door.

Clockwise from the upper left: Aloe 'Marsha Leyhew',  and xMangave 'Aztec King', 'Black Magic' (pup), and tiny 'Praying Hands''Praying Hands' is a hot ticket right now and hard to find in anything but a small size.  You can see a mature specimen here.

I put together another collection of pots on the small south side patio.  Two more of the mail order Mangaves were included here, as well as one I recently received from a friend.  I also cleaned up and repotted a Cryptanthus.

Clockwise from the upper left: Cryptanthus bivittatus (aka earthstar) and xMangave 'Crazy Cowlick', 'Frosted Elegance', and 'My Dog Spot'.  I'm a little in love with 'Frosted Elegance' at the moment because it glows.

It's turned hot again here.  I sweated (literally) through the process of carefully extricating the underground aster stems in the area surrounding the fountain yesterday morning when our temperature jumped more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit over the previous day's temperature.  It's expected to remain on the excessively warm side for at the next several days at least.   When the truck arrives with my mulch delivery next Wednesday, I'm hoping it'll be cool enough to work in the garden but that remains to be seen.  In the meantime, I'll be focusing on indoor activities.

Enjoy your weekend!


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. So glad you're planting phyllica! I was tempted to grab one recently too but don't have the perfect backlit spot for it. Lots of good work and beautiful new plants. I was pretty surprised at the high temps this week -- I thought we were done with those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the perception that we were done with those high temperatures was wishful thinking on our parts, Denise! I grew that Phylica once before. The plant hung on for a couple of years, never getting substantially larger, before making a quiet exit. I'm trying in in another area this time ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your hard work to remove the aggressors. I've dealt with Liriope spicata and (a different) aster for years, but have not been as methodical as you. Do all asters spread like that? I've been afraid to ever plant one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my understanding that all asters spread via rhizomes but, based on the limited research I've done, it seems that many of them do, Susie. I briefly considered planting a segment of the species I took out in one of my exceptionally dry areas (my back slope or my street-side bed) but I decided I didn't want to go through this again - as it is, the likelihood that I got out every piece of it where it was is low. I read some posts online about asters' proclivity for spreading, the gist of which was that you have to stay constantly on top of them, pulling up stems as soon as you see them migrating where you don't want them. Easier said than done!

      Delete
  3. Not an enviable task attacking those invasive roots during a hot spell, Kris, brava! May order be restored. :) Your potted plants all look handsome in their new pots, as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I got the bulk of the work done before temperatures soared again, Eliza. My husband was also kind enough to come in behind me to dig the soil loose still deeper so I could more easily access some of the deeper roots. Still, I suspect there are rhizomes I didn't reach...

      Delete
  4. Oh, it never ends, does it? And when you have invasives like those two it can be an ongoing nightmare. Sure looks good right now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known better than to push my luck with both those plants. They looked so innocent during the first couple of years...

      Delete
  5. Well Kris I have to say you had a very productive project week. I also have a years long aster problem -I dig out chunks of it every year-but it's not as aggressive as yours. We are having 90 degree days this weekend so my duty roster had to to pivot a bit. Not a great time for moving plants. I'm impressed that you could find Phylica pubescens at all , let alone at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat has been miserable here since Friday too, Kathy. It's 92F now. I really hope the temperatures come down as forecast by Wednesday when my 3 cubic yards of mulch arrives...The very first time I saw Phylica pubescens in a nursery, many years ago, it was priced at $400! As supplies increased, it came dramatically down in price but I still considered it on the pricey side and didn't replace my single plant after it bit the dust. My recent purchases were priced at $15, which seems to be becoming the standard pricing for one-gallon pots locally :(

      Delete
  6. I sprayed my patches of aster that were not close to other desirable plants with a mix of roundup and 2.4D, and found to my relief the herbicide was trans-located throughout the whole aster planting and killed it all, so I was spared trying to pick it out of the roots of the plants I wanted to keep. I try to avoid herbicides for the most part, but occasionally they are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very wary of herbicides, Round-up in particular, and I've stayed clear of them thus far, although I can't say I wasn't tempted!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a project! I am reminded of my bishop's weed removal. It must feel good to have the digging behind you. Congrats on the Phylica pubescen score! I love that plant. Sadly it's one I can't grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think I'd have learned by lesson when it took me 2 years to remove the morning glory I foolishly planted in the ground in my former garden. I wouldn't be very surprised if the people who bought our former townhouse are still dealing with it. And I won't be surprised is both the aster and the Liriope continue to pop us here and there in coming years either.

      Delete
  8. Well done on sorting those asters! The dahlias here were cut back this past week, but there's still a few more to flower. Sadly, it's rained quite heavily for most of the weekend, so I'm not sure what the garden will be looking like tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always frustrating when weather takes out prized plants but given our current level of drought I suspect I could forgive rain for any damage it might cause.

      Delete
  9. Your post is a vision reminder to be cautious about Symphyotrichum chilense. I've been tempted a time of two. But the rampant spread alone makes it a big no no. I bet you're relieved to have it behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could believe that my battles with the aster and the Liriope are over, Gerhard, but I suspect both plants will be back, hopefully in small, manageable amounts that can be easily dispatched!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.