Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Wednesday Vignette: Surprises, the good, the bad and the just plain odd

Yesterday, as I was heading into the house, I happened to take a closer look at one of the pots sitting outside the front door.  Planted with just two kinds of succulents years ago, it didn't look quite right but I didn't immediately realize what was off about it until I cleared away some of the dead foliage.

I'm referring to the tall pot in the rear of this photo.  With the dead leaves cleared away, perhaps you can immediately see what's unusual about its contents.

What was originally a pretty but very average Echeveria 'Blue Atoll' had at some point taken on a cristate, or crested, form.  Cresting can occur as a result of damage to a plant's growing tips, a genetic mutation, or due to some form of stress as described here.  

I wasn't even sure of the Echeveria's identity until I hunted down my original photo of this pot in July 2018

The flattened stems of the succulent are easier to see here.  I'll probably move the crested Echeveria to another pot where I can give it more sun and less water as recommended.

As our dry conditions continue and I try to avoid watering any more than necessary, my plant losses are stacking up.  I've come to terms with many of these as they suggest the need to change my plant palette to adjust to changing climate conditions but some losses still manage to surprise me.

This Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold' was seemingly fine one week and dead the next.  There are other Coleonema nearby and elsewhere in my garden, which are all doing fine.  This one was crowding nearby plants so I may not replace it once it's been removed.

Correa 'Sister Dawn', my favorite Australian fuchsia, planted in 2018, also suddenly gave up

And then there's the all-too-common discovery that the bulbs I ordered weren't what I received.

I ordered Canna 'Phasion' for its foliage but I got neither the colorful variegated foliage it's known for nor any flowers 

I've complained enough about how slow my dahlias have been to bloom this year so I'll end this post with some recent happy surprises among my flowering plants.

Dahlia 'Gitt's Crazy'  has grown sky-high and produced its first fully open blooms this week

A Delphinium from the 'Pacific Giants Mix', cut down to the ground following its spring bloom cycle, put up a new bloom stalk

I bought hybrid Nepeta 'Blue Prelude' on a whim back in May and planted it in one of the half barrels in the front garden.  Although the neighborhood cat that visits my garden regularly didn't eat it down to the ground as he's done with every other Nepeta I've ever planted, it appeared to die back as the summer progressed.  I'd planned to replace it, when it suddenly reappeared, sporting blooms no less.

This Passiflora tarminiana x manicata 'Oaklandia', growing in a pot on my south side patio, produced one or two flowers last summer but I wasn't expecting any this year.  I discovered this one on Monday morning.

I've had a Plumeria in a large pot for years and it's never bloomed.  A neighbor offered me a cutting she'd rescued from someone's trash several months ago.  I demurred but nonetheless found the cutting in a nice terracotta pot waiting for me in the driveway two weeks later.  It started flowering last week.

These Zephyranthes candida flowers (aka rain lilies) appeared last weekend despite the fact that we haven't had any actual rain.  Maybe the return of our morning marine layer, heavy at times, made a difference.  There aren't many this year but they're appreciated nonetheless.

I didn't sow any seeds of Zinnia 'Senora' this year but one plant appeared in my cutting garden anyway

I find it's important to remember to look for the positives when I feel as though I'm surrounded by negatives, whether in the garden or in life in general.  A broader perspective helps.

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. The cresting Echeveria 'Blue Atoll' is looking kind of cool... would a cutting grow in a normal pattern then?
    It is sad to lose plants you favor, and it does seem they are here today, crisp the next. I hope the most amazing bloom of Passiflora 'Oaklandia' will help erase the frustration: it's a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose whether a cutting would revert to normal may depend on what caused the cresting. If caused by a mutation, I'm guessing it would stay as it is but, if caused by damage to the growing tips, it might well revert. There were two Echeveria rosettes in that pot and only one "turned" so I'm guessing the affected rosette may have been damaged. It'll be interesting to see what happens once I repot the crested stem.

      Delete
  2. I love cristate forms and have a couple from an Echeveria I bought. Sorry about your losses but agree the garden has to adapt to the climate. I went out and took a bunch of photos yesterday as the garden was looking quite nice. Later a storm dumped a ton or rain and hail so will have to appreciate what was a perfect moment through the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, living in the moment seems the best way to go these days, Elaine!

      Delete
  3. Your succulents and passionflower blossom are lovely. Like you, I need to let my plants sink or swim with the weather to come (climate change). Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to let go of the plants one loves but I'm trying to be realistic about what can survive in my borders. I admit that I intend to reserve space in the raised planters of my cutting garden for a select number of thirsty plants (like dahlias) and my lath (shade) house for plants that can't take the increasingly intense summer sun.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your losses, Kris, but I think you have the right attitude. I have to remind myself often to 'focus only on the good stuff.' (Many years ago, I put exactly this on cards and taped them to the bathroom mirrors. :) )
    Your Passiflora is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remind myself of that philosophy quite often, Eliza. I should follow your example and put up posted notes!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that Echeveria situation is really strange! I'd never heard of that before. I have some in pots that I keep inside. I'm so sorry to hear about your plant losses. Your Dahlias are gorgeous! Mine didn't even bloom...I think the early tree leaf-out in my shady garden didn't give them enough sun. So, I'll dig them up after the first frost (mid-October) and try again next spring/summer. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crested forms of succulents are fairly common and often sold at hefty prices, Beth, but I suspect most of those are genetic mutations. Something happened to this particular Echeveria after I bought it but I've no idea what! I'm sorry your dahlias failed to deliver - I haven't counted any of mine out yet but I think blooms are questionable in several cases :(

      Delete
  6. Knowing your love for dahlias, at first glance, I thought the crested echeveria was a green dahlia!! I think it's super cool! That said, it's so sad to see your plants give up their ghost just like that. I'm having trouble letting go, I must admit. I have a feeling Nature will do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is definitely making choices in my garden. It's hard to lose even drought tolerant plants like the Correa, though. I put the plant in a particularly dry area, which may have contributed to its demise but, after 2.5 years in the ground, it pulled up all too easily with a a paltry root system so that was also odd.

      Delete
  7. Some people go gaga over crested growth, it's always kind of given me the heebie-jeebies. You?

    That's a gorgeous passionflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of the crested succulents, at least from a novelty perspective, but I much prefer Echeveria 'Blue Atoll', one of my favorite succulents, in its natural state.

      Delete
  8. As ever, I’m awed at how you keep your garden going in such adverse conditions. I was surprised to read of a Correa suddenly turning out its toes, as I believed them to be quite drought hardy, like most Australian plants. My Grevillea ‘Lady O’ has died, I think for the opposite reason: too much water.
    I love the dahlias. I’ve ordered some seeds to try and grow some myself. Will try to do my best, though I’m not very successful with seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised by the loss of both the Correa and the Coleonema as I consider both drought tolerant, Jane. Although it'd been in the ground for more than 2 years, the Correa's root system was poorly developed. It looked like I'd expect a plug plant to look so I'm wondering how it was propagated.

      Good luck with the dahlia seeds! I've always taken the easier route and grown mine from tubers.

      Delete
  9. I also love how Echeveria ‘Blue Atoll’ normally appears, however, I also would love to see its crested form. Thank you for providing the link to learn more about how these are created, because I have seen crested forms of Echeveria and other succulents sold for hefty prices.
    I had planted a set of 3 Coleonema adjacent to one another, each from ~quart containers, and grew well for 3 years, and then suddenly one began dying off while the others thrived: a garden mystery. I also purchased one Correa ‘Wyn’s Wonder’ in winter 2021 and planted it in a hanging container. It completely died this summer. Perhaps it needed more space.
    I love your Dahlia ‘Gitt’s Crazy’! It’s good to hear that your zinnia self-sowed in your cutting garden. Along with some others in my garden, including Rudbeckias, my zinnias will return if I leave some of the flowers to develop mature seeds. They are one of my favorite “free plants.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I killed 3 'Wyn's Wonder' Correas years ago when I planted them in the dry garden on my northeast side, Kay - I may have given them too little water when getting established but it may be that they're just touchy during their infancy. I subsequently planted a single plant in the front garden and found that it does indeed want space.

      Delete
  10. The gifted frangipani has found a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it continues to be happy, Diana :) Now if I can just get the larger plant to bloom as well...

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.