Saturday, May 15, 2021

Bloom Day/Wide Shot Mash-up - May 2021

I thought I'd change things up a little this month and combine my floral photos with wide shots of my garden to provide context.  It's not really a "Where's Waldo?" game as not all the flowers included in the floral collages can be spotted in the associated landscape shot.  Some are just outside the frame of that photo or hidden behind or beneath another plant but they're all planted in the general area shown.

I'll start with the back garden and continue clockwise around the house from my starting point.

View from my back door looking toward the Los Angeles harbor

Top row: Alstroemeria 'Claire' and Felicia aethiopica
Middle row: Cotula lineariloba, Gazania "Yellow Flame', and Anagallis 'Wildcat Mandarin'
Bottom row: Echium webbii (photographed from the other side), Eriogonum nudum 'Ella Nelson's Yellow', and Nierembergia 'Purple Robe'

View from back patio looking north

Clockwise from the upper left: Lantana camara 'Irene', Leucospermum 'Brandi', Lobelia laxiflora, Melianthus major, Osteospermum 'Violet Ice', Nierembergia 'Purple Robe', and Leucadendron 'Pisa'

View from the north end of the back garden looking in the direction of the back patio

Argyranthemum frutescens and Gilia tricolor

This is a segment of the back border looking roughly northeast

Top row: Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Pelargonium cucullatum 'Flore Pleno', and Polygala fruticosa
Middle row: Penstemon 'Onyx & Pearls' and Salvia canariensis var candidissima
Bottom row: Artichoke 'Purple Romagna' and Melaleuca thymifolia

View from just beyond the area shown in the last wide shot to the south end of the back garden

Clockwise from the upper left: Allium 'Violet Beauty', Achillea 'Moonshine', Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer', Osteospermum 'Sunshine Beauty', O. 'Zion Copper Amethyst', and Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset'

South side garden looking west

Top row: Hymenolepsis parviflora, Leucospermum 'Goldie', and Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow'
Middle row: Callistemon 'Hot Pink', Cistus 'Sunset', and C. 'Grayswood Pink'
Bottom row: Lagurus ovatus (aka bunny tail grass) and Lavatera trimetris

View from the south end of the front garden looking in the direction of the driveway

Top row: Agonis flexuosa (aka peppermint willow), Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', and Echium candicans 'Star of Madiera'
Middle row: Geranium 'Tiny Monster, Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', and G. 'Superb'
Bottom row: fading Helleborus 'Anna's Red', Hemerocallis 'Russian Rhapsody', and Heuchera maxima

Top row: Mimulus bifida, Pelargonium tomentosum, and Tagetes lemmonii
Middle row: noID Nemesia, Pelargonium peltatum, and Scabiosa columbaria 'Flutter Rose Pink'
Bottom row: Plectranthus neochilus, Papaver nudicaule, and Salvia lanceolata

Front south side border viewed from the driveway

Clockwise from the upper left: two more views of the huge Echium candicans 'Star of Madiera' revealed from the back in an earlier collage, Gaura lindheimeri, Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream', Leucospermum 'Hybrid Spider', and Pelargonium 'Tweedle Dee'

Front garden viewed from the west side of the driveway looking toward the front door

Top row: noID pink Alstroemeria, A. 'Inca Sundance', and Coleonema 'Album'
Middle row: Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold', Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', and Gazania 'White Flame'
Bottom row: Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', Lavandula multifida, and Rosa 'Pink Meidiland'

The cutting garden viewed from the driveway end

Top row: Antirrhimum majus 'Azalea Bronze', noID mix of Antirrhinum, and Berlandiera lyrata
Middle row: Consolida ajacis (aka larkspur), Coriandrum sativum (aka cilantro), and Digitalis purpurea
Bottom row: Nigella orientalis 'Transformer', Orlaya grandiflora, and Penstemon mexicali

The sweet peas going wild.  Clockwise from the upper right: Lathyrus odoratus 'Blue Shift', 'Chelsea Centenary', 'High Scent', 'Navy', and 'Sir Jimmy Shand'

Northeast side garden looking toward the stairway leading down the back slope

Top row: Centranthus ruber, Dorycnium hirsutum, and Oenothera speciosa (aka pink evening primrose)
Middle row: Grevillea sericea, G. 'Scarlet Sprite', and Melinus nerviglumis (aka ruby feather grass)
Bottom row: Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', Lavandula dentata, and Osteospermum 'Double Moonglow'

Pelargoniums 'Lemona', 'Lady Plymouth' and 'Orange Fizz'

Psoralea pinnata (aka Kool-aid bush)

The steep back slope is usually at its best in spring but it's been very dry and periodically very hot so it's not putting on a great show this year

Clockwise from the upper left: Bignonia capreolata, Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid', Pelargonium 'White Lady', Centranthus ruber, Romneya coulteri This(aka Matilija poppy) and another Echium webbii

This is the lower level of the front garden adjacent to my lath house back on the south end of the property

Clockwise from the upper left: Aloe striata x maculata, noID self-seeded Cotoneaster, Feijoa sellowiana (aka pineapple guava), Pelargonium peltatum, Fuchsia 'Deep Purple', Euryops chrysanthemoides 'Sonnenschein', and Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender)

That's a wrap!  For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Enjoy your weekend.  There's a chance for light rain overnight here, which would be an anomaly for us this time of year, but very welcome.  My fingers are crossed.


All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Wow! That was great fun and must have taken quite awhile to put together. I'm still in awe of that Psoralea pinnata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it took forever to put together, especially as Blogger had a meltdown as I was in the final stretch, throwing up warnings of malware and phishing exposure with scary red screens labeled "dangerous." I don't know if it affected everyone using Blogger's platform but I understand that a lot of people, temporarily if not permanently, lost their posts. I ultimately deleted my Bloom Day post in an effort to thwart the invisible threat only to subsequently have everything come back online as normal. I got word from my brother that he was affected, as were others using Blogger, including Gerhard. I haven't heard an explanation but next time I guess the strategy is shut down and wait. I had to start my post all over again from scratch.

      Delete
  2. I really like that you included wide shots with the flower collages. It really does help give perspective and placement. Your gardens keep getting better and better, Kris. I wonder how you keep it all up- lots of work! I was thinking the back slope looked pretty good before I read that you think it isn't. ;) And how nice the thyme has filled in around your paving stones. I remember when you were putting those in, doesn't seem all that long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The creeping thyme dies out in spots here and there so it seems I'm feeling in with plugs in some sections every year, Eliza, but I still consider it a great ground cover. I think I'm comparing the back slope this year to how it looked last year when our rainfall was 160% percent of normal, which may not be fair. I got only one calla lily bloom, no California poppy blooms, and even a reduction in the Centranthus flowers this year.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the wide shots. Your garden has grown and filled in so beautifully! That Salvia canariensis var. candidissima certainly catches my eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow wow! What a large and beautifully landscaped yard. Must be a joy when relaxing in it. Some of the plants I am not familiar with, but it all looks so lush and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relax in the garden? I must remember to try that at some point, Yvonne ;)

      Delete
  5. Thank you Kris, for putting together a wonderful photo collage of your garden - lots of work. I appreciate seeing so much of all the work you've done in your garden.

    Stephen Morgan
    Portland, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Bloom Day, Kris! Wow, that's scary and annoying about the Blogger trouble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the blogger fiasco occurred, we couldn't find any notices from Blogger about what happened so I feared it was entirely on my end. When we weren't able to fix it, I started envisioning giving up blogging...

      Delete
  7. I appreciate your context shots. It shows your artful arrangement of the plant groupings. I need to work on that in my garden.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was absolutely fun! I cannot imagine how much time it would take for you to provide your floral photos in the context of your wide shots of your garden. It is appreciated. I now see the color arrangements a bit better as reflected in your floral arrangements. You have such a vast variety. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matching flowers with the area they grow in wasn't really any more time consuming than organizing them by color. It was a meltdown on the part of the Blogger platform that made things difficult this month.

      Delete
  9. I loved the tour of your garden Kris, it looks absolutely amazing. Do you keep a data base of your plants? It would be interesting to know how many varieties you grow. Such abundance of beauty. I envy you your Echium webbii, the frost killed mine despite several layers of fleece. I have cuttings though and a friend gave me Echium albicans but the plants look very similar, is there much difference? Neither of them are suited to our climate, but we gardeners always want to push the boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a spreadsheet of what I plant, Chloris, although I'm rather bad at updating it to show losses and removals (and, for some reason, bulb plantings). I've 3 species of Echium: candicans (variegated 'Star of Madiera' cultivar), handiense, and webbii. I don't think I've ever seen albicans. I looked at photos and other information on albicans online and it reminded me more of Echium wildpretii. It appears to be shorter than webbii and the flowers are more pink-red, at least when they first emerge.

      Delete
  10. The garden has really hit it's stride. So many gorgeous flowers. It was interesting to see Gerhard's overhead picture of your garden. Nothing like an overhead to really see the whole layout. Enhances all of your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had problems describing our property's shape, Elaine, as it doesn't have the common rectangular shape of most home lots. That's probably due in part with the fact that it was divided decades ago to carve out two flag lots on either side of us. The hilly typography also complicates things. I really should pull my own copy from Goggle Maps for use in the future!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.